Guys,

Here's a picture of my scouting buddy, Abbey. Over the years she has scouted many miles with me in search of coues. She's not quite 10 years old, but her body is filled with cancer, and we're putting her to sleep this afternoon. The Lord has really blessed my family with such a wonderful dog.

bowsniper

post-426-1127412364.jpg

I know just how you fill. My Lab "Gus" Died of the same thing. It is best to help your friend along so it does not have to be Sick any longer. I did not know my lab had it until one day he was just full of air and all swelled up. So my friend who is a vet came over and felt a growth the size of a vollyball in his gut. It had swelled up and blocked his intestien. four minnutes after my friend looked at him he died. we had him for about 10 years as well. Talk about a gentle giant.

I'm so sorry to hear that. :P It's hard to loose a dog, especially if it's one of a kind. At my vet, when ever they have to put a dog down they give the owner this....

A DOG'S PRAYER

By Beth Norman Harris

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements. And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land, for you are my god and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest - and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

Bowsniper,

Sorry to hear you will have to put your dog down. I can imagine how incredibly difficult that will be to do. I really hope I don't have to do that. My oldest dog recently developed Vestibular disease and we thought we would have to put her down. It causes the dog to fall over and walk in circles and not know which way is up or down. Terrible to see, but the vet said about 80% of the dogs with it recover after a few weeks without treatment, and ours was one of the lucky. She is doing much better now. But when we were going through it, I couldn't bear thinking of putting her down. She's been my devoted friend for most of my adult life.

I had a chance to meet Abbey and remember she was a beautiful and exhuberant dog. My condolences to you and your wife.

Amanda

it is really sad to hear that. it is hard to say good bye to a pet no matter what. especially a dog. dogs become part of the family and are looked upon like a human in regards to as much love as they are given. i am really sorry to hear that.

I'm sorry to hear about your dog. I had to do the same with my dogs that I had for about 12 years. Its very hard to go through and I haven't gotten a new one yet.

Sorry to hear about your scouting buddy,my prayers are with you and your family.

Its a bad thing to go through. our dog lucky died from seizures at age 14 but you have to think about all the good times you had to get you through the bad. Its really hard on other dogs in the family (if you have any) they feel the pain too.

Bowsniper

Very sorry to hear of your loss. We too recently had to put down our super wonderful one of a kind dog who was just under 5 yrs old. He was family!

I sit here quietly typing since my wife would break down in tears if I mentioned him or your Abbey. It Took her 2 weeks to have a day without severe tears and emotional distress when she looked to where he would lay or expected him to follow her out the door. I still think of our "Sport" every day and wish he was still with us.

I am sure you know that all things work together ... so there is a purpose, as hard as it is to think so right now.

It sounds like you both had a wonderful life and relationship which is all a dog would ever want.

God Bless you and your family in this time of loss.

Its really hard on other dogs in the family (if you have any) they feel the pain too.

Oh yeah it is. I had my first dog pass away two years ago while the family was out at the lake. We knew something bad had happened because Charlie (Our only lab at the time) went from his ball crazy self, to a complete zombie. He wouldn't play, and wasn't swimming like he had for the past few days. Even after we got home and found out our little dog had passed, Charlie would hang out by himself. We actually had to get another puppy so he would snap out of it.

You do have to remember that you gave that dog the best life any of them could have ever had! She must have had so much fun walking around with you out there, a much better life than being tied up to a stake in the middle of a dirt yard. You did your job the best it could have been done. They are put here to show us how to love and care and make others happy. They do it so well that they don't need to be here as long as we do, but you will see her again.

Bowsniper, I am right there with you. My 13year old Rott. past on today after I left to go check my cameras. She was gettting pretty weak, we where going to have her put down on Monday but she did not make it . She was a good dog, you could trust her with your kids as if she was the mother.

My prayers to you and your family....

I wrote this for my wife, not too long ago...

An Empty Collar

By Marshall MacFarlane

I bet most families have one or two. At the very least, someone has encountered it? either as a child, or maybe as an adult. I have one in an old box of bird-dog stuff. A reflective one with a bell. I?ve seen them in frames; I?ve seen them hung up in barns; I?ve seen them hung on little homemade crosses. Today, I had one on the seat next to me ? an empty collar. An hour ago, that collar held a little pal, a family member, a sometimes antagonist ? hardest of all, it belonged to what I imagine, was my wife?s all-time best friend. I can?t imagine many things more sad ? than an empty collar.

I?ve done a lot of hard things in my life, but this one is right up there with the hardest. Driving home from Tempe to Johnson Ranch, I was trying to eat Jack in the Box, watch the road, and chase away my sniffles. For once, I was dreading my arrival home; dreading my entrance; fearing my ?welcome home? hug from my wife, Karole. Relieved in a way ? the hardest part, logistically, was over. ?All over but the cryin?? , as they say. Terrified, though ? what would I ever say to Karole?

Heck ? Browzee wasn?t even my dog! She?d been with Karole longer than I had ? twice as long in fact. Been there through jobs, boyfriends, college ? you name it. Browzee had been the constant in Karole?s life ? for 14 long years. Any tears I shed for Browzee ? I think deep down, were shed for Karole. Browzee had lived a long, rich life with Karole. A mostly black cocker/terrier mix, she had earned her handle due to her light colored eyebrows. Always spunky and happy ? she lived for her walks with K. They used to go on journeys that were miles long, in the old days in Tempe. Cantankerous at times ? Browzee and I often feuded over her proclivity to dig through the trash. The last couple of years, though, hadn?t been kind to Ol Browz. Her little body had been wracked with several ailments. Her breathing was failing; she couldn?t control her bladder like she used to. She couldn?t jump up on the bed anymore. The last week, she had developed diarrhea and stopped eating. Even Karole couldn?t delay the inevitable, any longer. We always say ?it?s the kind thing to do? or ?we do it out of love?, but that certainly doesn?t make it any easier.

I believe in my heart, that Browzee came out ahead, in this deal. She?s up there, somewhere ? with all of our old friends ? Woo-Woo, Puss N Boots, Duchess,  Eek & Meek, Mollie, Brownie, Zeb, Circa, and my old best friend ? Jake. Funny, we can talk about them now, without a heavy heart. Hopefully, Browzee will be in that category someday. Karole ? well, of course I love her ? but I?m not good at these things. I never know when to talk, or what to say. She?s tough, though, and I expect she?ll be OK. Time heals all things, after all.

The collar? It?s in my pickup, still on the seat. I figure Karole will ask about it some day, when she?s ready. That?s when I?ll bring it in. Oh ? just in case, there?s a brand new leash out there, too.