Sign in to follow this  
ultra300mag

One down and three to go.

Well my daughter shot her pronghorn yesterday and we had a great hunt. She was very excited with her first speed goat. Now I hope the elk hunt, moose hunt and Desert sheep hunt go as well. Only time will tell

post-2480-1283473343.jpg

Good looking antelope with nice prongs and what looks to be a dark nose. How did your daughter like antelope hunting compared to other species?

Enjoy the rest of the hunts.

Early in the morning we saw a buck that looked good but we decided to pass due to it being first thing first day. We went to an area that two of my other daughter's have shot nice bucks in years past and looked at about six or seven small bucks then I spotted one that needed a closer look. I set up the Swarovski spotting scope and told her to pack up he was a definate shooter. We got to the end of our cover/hill and he was still 844 yards away. He was a buck that would score over 80 inches and worth waiting for. We sat there for about half an hour and he finally fed over a small ridge. We picked up and moved to the ridge and topped over about 200 yards to the side of where he went over. We glassed for a bit to try to located him but could not find him. We then started to follow the ridgeline toward where he went over. As we walked and glassed we looked in all directions but could not find him. there was one small ridge that dropped off our ridge and it had a small knoll at the end. I glassed it very carefully (I thought) and moved slowly forward. The next thing ya know we heard that infamous sound fo rht buck blowing and saying "duh, I can see you". I turned and looke and he must have been at the base of the knoll where we could not see him. He then took off for parts unknown and the score was now, Antelope 1 hunters 0. We moved along the ridgeline further and looked over some more smaller bucks then watched a Badger in his search for a new prarie dog mound to dig up. Jennifer actually spotted him and enjoyed watching him in his hunt. After seeing and glassing about 30 more small bucks Jen spotted "her' buck and at first I could not see his cutters and wondered if he was big enough. When he finally turned his head and I could see his prongs I told her that he was a nice buck that she might be interested in. Due to the fact this was the first day of her youngest son's kindergarten and she was a little sad to have missed it she decided this buck would be a definate candidate to end the hunt and then she could get home and relieve her husband who had stayed home to take care of her four children during the hunt. She got set up on the bipod and I started the camera rolling. The buck was walking from right to left and when he stopped I told her there is your shot. The buck was only 150 yards away and I had him zoomed in with the 70 power lens and he filled the entire screen. I am not sure if it was adrenaline or what but she managed to pull the shot a little right and with the angle the exit hole was just in front of the ham on the off side. The buck went straight down and only kicked one or two times and was done. Needless to say she was very excited and the closer we got the better he looked. When we got home and viewed the kill shot on the big screen I was shocked to see the blow out on the screen. I am not sure where the white cloud of dust or moisture came from but it became a backdrop for the blood and flesh that exited the buck. It is definatley not a video that a person would put on screen for anyone except a hunter, due to the blood etc. I now wish I had not zoomed in quite as close but it is what it is. I can say the Barnes Triple Shock did it's job and the buck did not move a foot from point of impact. Now it is on to my wife's moose hunt and see if we can make it happen again. Jen is one happy camper and I was able to get the skull boiled and whitened up yesterday and it looks great. Good luck to all with their hunting adventures this year!!!

Way to go Jen and huge congrats to some hunting daughters Bob, good luck on the moose and sheep hunts. Huge congrats to you guys. I hope its nice having your Mathew and Jessica back up there, we miss them here.

Well I guess this could now be called two down and two to go. Not that the moose is dead but due to the construction that is going on in the unit my wife and I decided that she would turn in her tag and get her points back and hopefully draw when the problem is over. They are putting a major gas line right through the middle of the unit. They promised the property owner they would not be in there during the hunts but when I talked to one of the construction workers he assured me they would not be done there for about two months. Digging, blasting rock etc. Kind of a bummer but I think the best alternative at this point. I guess that will give me one more week that I can hunt my sheep.

Nice goat! Which unit was that in? Which unit was your wife's moose tag for? And lastly where did you draw your sheep tag?? You have to have one of the luckiest households I've heard of this year! To draw moose and sheep the same year, what are the chances? Good luck on your hunt.

The Pronghorn was on the Deseret CWMU unit, my wife's Moose was on the Middle Ridge CWMU unit, my other daughter's Elk is on the Wasatch unit, and my sheep is on kaiparowits East unit. Yes I would have to say that this year has been a one in a lifetime of drawing. Usually unsuccessful letters for all.