elkhutnaz

Any talk??

My son has a tag burning a hole in his pocket..got suck working all weekend so just wondering good they are talking? good luck to everyone Andy

Last weekend nothing but, this weekend they started. Four bulls were screaming all night. Got a good look at two of them. Saw five trail cams all close together at one trick tank.

I agree pre-rut. Had big 3 large herd bulls screaming Saturday night, but none had cows. Friday watched a herd of 100+ 5 small bulls 2 huge bulls and several spikes moving into the thick stuff. Did call in a small 6x6 this morning to 35 yards.

Just wondering but why would you be calling in bulls right now, that's how they get call shy

good thing its only a small 6x then... good way to see if they are callable and if his sounds are right. Anyone up in 27?

@ Chompy one we were way away from where I will be hunting, this bull was less than 5 miles from woods canyon lake. 2 we had a friend from WV in town for my hunt next week and wanted to show him what a bull bugling sounded like. We bugled and heard him way off so we go for a drive for a bit get out and bugle again. He ended up being about 75 yards off the road so we cow called twice through the bugle and he came right up to 35 yards. I know better than to educate bulls the week before my hunt. I have 3 bulls well over 350 spotted and will not even be close or calling where I will be hunting. THX

@ Coach AZ1CAM? 4A Archery. Just spend a week there antelope hunting with a friend from WV I will be posting a story/pics soon.

Heard lots of bulls this weekend. Tracked a bugling pair, ended up getting caught in between about 14 or 15 this morning without realizing it. Only saw a few bulls alone, most were with cows. Was the wife's first time chasing elk.

She thought all of them were 400" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

they were rockin' and rollin' where i was in u1 this weekend. and it wernt no "pre-rut" stuff. this whole year is a little different than it has been for awhile. i think the archery elk hunters are gonna be pleasantly surprised this year. Lark.

On Saturday I had a small spike mewing all over a mountain, and a smaller bull bugling with about six cows or so. Sunday, nothing. No talking, no locating, nothing. I was cow/calf calling, and got no answer at all and ended up walking right up on two cows and two calves feeding less than thirty yards from me. Same with a bull, I tried a couple locater bugles, and didn't get an answer. Turned out a bull was just up the road working his way towards me. I write it off to all the people out riding this weekend.

Just got back yesterday from an archery hunt in NM, bulls were rocking pretty good on the 1st and 2nd, then it seemed to warm up, and the elk talk began to slow down. The AZ archery season and the second NM archery season will be great in my opinion, I would expect them to be really ripping by the 16th/17th. All the elk seemed very healthy and the horns seemed very large! Good luck to all.

There has been alot of activity around my house with the bulls. Sounds like the rut is getting closer. :ph34r: Good luck to all who have a tag! ;) I don't have a tag so i look forward to the pics!!! ;)

I don't know where you are going to hunt but I have been in 6A, 5B North, and 6B. Over the past week activity has been picking up. The ones I have been hearing are just after sun up and die off quickly. I have a feeling tho, things will be picking up. Friends have reported activity in 7, 8, and 21. Good luck on the tag!

Mt Cat I was just messing around, hope your hunt goes well, i'll be guiding two guys in 4a leave tues nite, if I can keep them from shooting the 330 bulls I think we should score a couple of biggins