elkhutnaz

Any talk??

I spent all weekend glassing an area that holds over 200 elk. There were 89 in one group with several good bulls that were bugling and even some sparing. Seems like the bulls are ready to go, but the cows need a little more time.

I can't wait until Friday :D

I was n/w of ashfork - never heard a peep - didnt glass any up either - know they are around some trees torn up and good sign at ponds/ tanks - was a tad warmer though - 90-92 - sure elavation and temp makes a big difference in activity- Gary

I've seen lots of elk the last few days, not any of the real big stuff yet, but lots of bulls. But they will be coming across the rez soon. (3c)

This morning I followed 9 bulls bugling no cows, I picked the wrong group to follow before work, nothing big at all.

soon, very soon. Come on Friday

i went camping couple miles away from big lake over the weekend. heard one bugle in the mourning and couple at night, not the big boys sounded like little rags horns, and had to give out a couple mews to get an answer . . . . .and the first one to answer me was another cow. they weren't really fired up but give it couple days with cooler temps . . . . they should be fired up here in a week.

also woke up to elk 60 yards from tent . . . didn't mind me untill i opened the truck door to grab binos.

In the Dry Valley area of Unit 1 they were quite vocal all weekend, but it looked like pre-rut activity only. A couple small bulls pushing eash other around with larger bulls off by themselves not paying much attention. Raghorns were holding the herds of cows. Should be a great hunt.

Just got a phone call from my buddie at camp. Saw 6 heard bulls fighting and hearding cows. Also watched a bull try to mount a cow for 30 min.

Just got back from 5A. Not too vocal where I was located. A nice bull approx 330 was talking around 2:30 PM. by himself. Also heard some noise late at night.

Anyone in 5A this last weekend? Any herds seen? :blink:

There were a couple smaller herds maybe five to eight cow (and a couple smaller spikes that better stay outta the way! :lol: ) up around the southern part of the unit last weekend.

Got pix of one pretty nice bull this morning pushing a bunch of cows, bugling chasing off other bulls - definately hot rut action.