Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Prickly Pears are ripe!

Well, my husband has some one last prickly pear class to teach at the arboretum and he needed some pears for it so we went out tonight to get some.

The pears were really fat and ripe where we went north of Globe.

Saw this cool praying mantis hiding in one of the prickly pears. Sorry I only had my cell phone with me to take pics with!

post-1-1283742033_thumb.jpg

the fat ripe pears:

post-1-1283742063_thumb.jpg

post-1-1283742055_thumb.jpg

post-1-1283742046_thumb.jpg

Amanda, how does he get the stickers off of the fruit? I tried to make jelly last year during quail seaon and ended up just skinning all the fruit I had. The jelly didn't turn out right at all, it never set up thick and stayed runny but was still pretty good!

My dad wanted to try to make some wine out of the fruit this year and I thought I'd surprise him with a bucket or two.

When will the Margarita's be ready?

+1 :P

WoooooHooooo Count me in! :lol:

can we get a recipe like prickly pear glazed backstrap? :lol:

james

post-2034-1284058338.jpg

We used to boil the fruit and then smash the juice out with a rolling pin thing and cheese cloth.(mom's way :unsure: )

But this steamer gizmo right here does the job. Put it over a heat source, mash the fruit down as it gets soft and the juice comes dripping out the hose.

Then you can make whatever the heck you want out of it.

We brought home 11- 5 gallon buckets of fruit had two juicing steamers going and got it all juiced in one long day.

Now we gotta go rob a bank to buy all the sugar, jars and junk to add to the jelly.

It is well worth every bit of it we did a batch last year and gave most all of it away somehow or another.

Chickens really like the mash after you get all the juice out of the fruit too.....

I'm by no means an expert, but I made some syrup a couple of weeks ago and burned the little stickers off with my backpacking stove It worked great.

I was afraid of that, maybe I can get one of those giant chilie roasters for the day and do all three buckets at once! :lol: