Sign in to follow this  
AZelkwrestler

what would you do?

first come first served is only in fairy tales.... this is the real world boys, respect and responsibility are things of the past!

Amen to that! Oh BTW sidearms are legal to carry on an archery hunt!

I think too many of the peolple out there are treating hunting as serious competition and they dont want anyone to out do them but I still think the respectful hunter still out numbers the disrespectful.A friend of mine was stalking a bear in 27 a few years ago with his bow when some other hunter and his Guide came upon his buddy who was watching the bear for him, he informed them that someone was stalking the bear with is bow and was pretty close so they took off running to close the distance and shot at the bear with a rifle. If I come upon people stalking or watching an animal they are going to pursue I offer to help them anyway I can or just sit back and watch the show as long as I dont interfere.

Mark

I personally think that many hunters that use blinds and tree stands get their panties bunched up to easy. If your doing it right the whole point is to be hard to see. Often this means another hunter is not going to see you until he is right on top of you. Also with the practice of guys setting up multiple Blinds and stands and leaving them. It is becoming a more common practice for hunters to check out and make sure it is an occupied blind.

Nothing like hiking into a spring and all the sudden hearing a pissed off quiet tone from 15 - 20 feet in the air questioning you why you did not see he was hunting this spot. Well Mr. tree stand man, The last time I looked I had not found any deer or elk up in them trees So my eyes are focused more on the ground. Again 150 yards in a forest is quiet a distance and sound does not travel upwind that well especially if it is over 20 MPH.

From the way I read it was that this guy came in from another direction and did not go right to the water. Know if you tell me that he came in right on the water, seen you hunting your blind then moved to the right upwind 150 yards, I may feel you have a right to be upset. If the guy came in 150 yards to your right and never approached the water hole or immediate area then that is just something you have to deal with and in no way makes that hunter a disrespectful SOB. If you hunt close to water in Arizona you better be prepared to have some interruptions. That is just the way it is an. You made your Blind Now you have to sit in it !

Str8shot you are right. If your hid out in your blind or tree stand and someone walks in on you and didn't see you, take that as a complilment that your camo worked and the intrusion was unintentional.

Guess my gripe is with other hunters who know for a fact that you are there, either by arguing with you that this is their spot (even though you were there first) or purposely hunting/sitting around you after they know you are there. Those are the situations I've run into at least once a season, in every season, over the past 3 years.

How the heck does one tank end up with 2 blinds on it? Did the 2nd guy really not see the first?

1st come 1st serve, but setting up the blind a week ahead is pretty cheap. Now if you've been there camping the whole time, sure!

probly about 15 years ago we were muzzleloader elk hunting in new mex. archery elk was going on too. while dragging a buck to the road we ran into some guys from utah with elk tags. they sia d they had put a treestand on a water hole a month or so before the season. the day before the season they were there and a uso guide came in and put up 2 treestands on the same water hole and told them they had to leave because uso was there and they the right to everything, because they were uso. they told em go to h e l l it was public land and left. next morning early they walked in and the tree they had their stand in was cut down and their stand smashed. and the uso punk and his client were in theirs. they had some words and the uso punk laughed at em so they went back to the truck and came back with a chainsaw and proceded to cut the tree down the uso punk was in, while he was still in it. guess it got western after that. i thought the utah boys handled it very professionally myself. Lark.

Hunters with the lack of consideration described above are our worst enemy for sure! How can someone be that stubborn or clueless?

Well thanks for all the imput guys and gals, Im back at the tank today so I can let you all know what happened. I decided to approach the the hunter. First let me clarify the setting, its a fairly open area around the tank with few spots to set up . The wind was about 5 to 10 from the south and we are on the north west side. Well after I sat and watched the man for a few min I decided to talk with him. I walked over and very respectfully asked him if he had seen my blind, he replied yes and that he was just going to sit right here. I then asked if he knew the first come first serve rule, jw said yea and that he Hayes confrontations on water. I said I agree but would have to ask him not set up right here because he is up wind and in the wide open about 20a yards from the water. He said no and continued to set up. I said okay but told him he was late to get here and cannot expect to not run into people if he shows up at water holes at 530. He was visibly upset ( hands and jaw shaking ) I began to walk away when he said your right and said he would walk out. I said thank you and told him I would be more than happy to let him have the tank the next day. He agreed and the rest of the hunt was fine and ended up watching a few small bulls come in but not the one we are looking for.

I'm back in the stand 2nite after watching several good bulls this morning in the same area. Hope they are thirsty!

Thanks again for all the impute.

probly about 15 years ago we were muzzleloader elk hunting in new mex. archery elk was going on too. while dragging a buck to the road we ran into some guys from utah with elk tags. they sia d they had put a treestand on a water hole a month or so before the season. the day before the season they were there and a uso guide came in and put up 2 treestands on the same water hole and told them they had to leave because uso was there and they the right to everything, because they were uso. they told em go to h e l l it was public land and left. next morning early they walked in and the tree they had their stand in was cut down and their stand smashed. and the uso punk and his client were in theirs. they had some words and the uso punk laughed at em so they went back to the truck and came back with a chainsaw and proceded to cut the tree down the uso punk was in, while he was still in it. guess it got western after that. i thought the utah boys handled it very professionally myself. Lark.

I LOVE IT!

next morning early they walked in and the tree they had their stand in was cut down and their stand smashed. and the uso punk and his client were in theirs. they had some words and the uso punk laughed at em so they went back to the truck and came back with a chainsaw and proceded to cut the tree down the uso punk was in, while he was still in it. guess it got western after that. i thought the utah boys handled it very professionally myself. Lark.

I would sure like to shake the hands of those Utah hunters as THAT is the way to deal with buttheads like USO and I care not to hear the old " well that was just one outfitter from USO and he doesn't represent USO as a whole" crap! Bottom line, they crossed the line and the Utah boys made everything right! Of course the poor hunter (sort of lilke military intelligence huh - "poor hunter") was caught in the middle of it all but maybe next time he will be more selective on who he hires to hunt for him! Man this would have been a hoot to watch! Thanks .270 for making my Monday morning!

Here is what we ran into this year on the tanks in our area. Apparently this guy thought he could stack some branches together, leave a sign, and then nobody would hunt "his" water holes (yes, plural). We found it quite hilarious and couldn't help but playing a little prank on him...I bet he never figured out why elk didn't come in! hahaha

post-3085-1285004102_thumb.jpg

Well I don't know I would have had the "Stones" to take it that far, but that is CLASSIC!!!

Courtesy is something we all should have, whether we are outfitters, guides, professional hunters, or just plain old sport hunters like me. I don't care who you are or how long you have been at this, as a hunter you should know the difference between what is right and what is wrong, and you should try to know the rules, written and unwritten. Plenty of times, I've picked a spot to hunt, gone in and found someone else beat me there (shame on me), and I've backed out quietly and gone to another spot. Sure, I put time in to find that spot, but so did that other person, even if they just stumbled on it through dumb luck. Heck ... I'm usually pretty good about not going in to a spot that is unoccupied but has a treestand or blind set up ... I figure they are taking a break and who am I to butt in. But that is just me. What is the point of getting into a fight? We're "Sportsmen" right? Now I'm not saying I'd back down if someone came into the area I was in and said "Get out ... this is ours" ... not at all. I'd probably have more than a few words about that. But I'd like to think most folks aren't like that.

AZelkwrestler, I think you did it right. Approaching the guy in a non-confrontational manner set the right tone ... even if he didn't pick up on it right away. Sounds from your description like he was a bit shaken, maybe anticipating something ... imagine if you'd have jumped on his a$$ right away ... that could have been downright ugly. His initial response was wrong, but he thought better of it, which is good.

Unfortunately, some folks (AZLance ... and no I am not picking on you, I'm saying you are right in your statement) here hit the nail on the head ... there are too many people out there that don't have the good ethical behaviour they should. I guess those folks have to be educated. Those that can will take the lesson to heart ... those that can't ... well the old saying goes "You just can't fix Stupid". They need to take up another sport ... bad attitudes and weapons don't mix.

About 20 years ago while hunting 6A, I was tucked into a nature type blind against a large dead fall. It was on a well used trail and offered several shooting lanes, although there was no way to see behind me. As a young hunter, I was sure every noise was an elk, and I was going to quickly fill my cow tag. A couple hours after first light I could hear one walking down to me and I was sure it would offer a good shot as it walked past my hiding spot. After a couple minutes it was very close when it stopped. I waited and listened...what was that? Was that noise...water running, surely an elk would urinate more than that...what could it be. I stood up, camoed out, arrow nocked, and witnessed the startled hunter, 3 yards behind me, pee all over himself as he tried to cut it off mid stream.

After a short laugh and discussion, we decided there were no elk on that trail and went our seperate ways.