cbryant11

Dean's 2010 bull

I had the pleasure of hunting with my buddy and father in-law Dean Linne this year. He drew a great tag this year and he deserved it since he hadnt been drawn since 99. Opening morning found us glassing up lots of elk and lots of bulls but nothing we felt like chasing after, that afternoon we were looking at some different elk and we found a very pretty 6x6 running cows but we felt he would only score about 330 so we just watched and enjoyed the show. the next couple days were the same we got on lots of bulls but they just werent big enough for us to pull the trigger on. Monday afternoon found us in a new area and right off the bat we heard a bugle so we went running in on him when all of a sudden we heard a sick bugle behind us, we were like that has got to be another hunter, well low and behold this guy comes up behind us and starts bugling every 3 minuets. the bull would respond but was farther away every time so me and dean looped clear around and got in front of the bull and found he was a small 6x6 so we looped back out of the area and let the other guy chase him. we decided to start heading back towards the quads when we heard another bugle in the exact opposit direction , dean looked at me and said we better hurry if we want to see him. so we took off really quick and finally got to the meadows that the bulls were going crazy in. well low and behold there was a giant bull in there all the way at the other end of the meadow real close to the tree line, we ran down the edge of the meadow just in side the trees to get with in shooting distance, at about 200 yards i look to the left and theirs are buddy heading towards the meadow, dean had already gotten about 150 yds from the bull and was moving in so i motioned towards the guys to hold up and i moved towards dean about 3 minuets later a cow that was in the middle of the meadow was hauling but towards the heard and the all spooked and ran out of the country, i look back and see the 2 guys standing in the meadow, i couldn't believe that they screwed us like that. well we looked for that bull for the next few days and couldn't find him. On Thursday night we got in some great bulls and dean felt he would love to put one on the wall. we snuck in on a great bull and dean took a shot and the bull ran off, on the film the hit looked a little high but there was blood pouring out right way so we decided to give him the night and come back in the morning to claim deans trophy, the next morning found us standing at the hit site while the sun was coming up. we followed the steady blood trail for .73 miles and started to get nervous we ended up following the blood for 1.96 miles and the last blood we found was in a bed but we couldnt find where the bull went from there. it was a miserable morning, we looked for the next 2 days all over the area and could not locate that bull dean was sick, we couldn't believe that the hit was that bad but the bull was heading uphill the last mile of his journey so we figure that it was a superficial hit and we decided to resume our hunt, on the 10th day of the hunt we decided to go high and see what kind of bulls we could locate, that morning we were accompanied by our good friend jed larson and when we got out of the truck we could hear bulls screaming about 3/4 of a mile away. jed looked at us and said "this wont take long" and we started heading in there direction, with the sun finally coming up we made the last few hundred yards and saw bulls running back and forth across the meadow, when we felt we were close enough jed made a few cow calls and we had a bull run clear across the meadow right at us and me and jed both felt he was a great bull and advised dean to take the shot, dean trusted our judgement and made a beatifull shot at 52 yards, the bull ran 40 yards and tipped over right in front of us, it was awsome. right then 2 other bulls ran the same path as the previose bull had and we watched the bugle back and forth before heading back into the trees, it was an awsome morning spent with 2 great friends and the taking of this great bull made it just a little better.

post-491-1285285694_thumb.jpg

post-491-1285286143_thumb.jpg

post-491-1285286151_thumb.jpg

post-491-1285286160.jpg

Jed is a great Guy! Great Bull, like everyone else said, love the dark antlers!!!!

Congratulations on a great bull. Very good write up as well, felt like I was right there with you guys.