I understand the correct pronunciation is "cows" , but anytime I say that to people they give me a funny look and then say "Oh ,you mean coos" . I am just curios, how most of you on this board pronounce the name?

I say "cooos" or close to it. I know what you are talking about I get the same thing.

Coues " coos" for me as well.

I say "coos" and so does everybody that I know that hunts them.

I started calling them coues ( coos ) but after a few years I heard the correct pronounciation and started using that.

Later that year, I was out hunting with a couple friends and somehow, we had a discussion about seeing several coues (cows) and our communication got mixed up. :o One person thought we were talking about MOO Cows, and another thought Coues (Cooos) Deer. :D :o :D

After straightening out signals, we just started calling them all Cows, but we had to call the Moo cows, "Whitefaced Cows".

Thinking about it, we did not want some rancher or AGFD warden upset cause we shot the wrong animal due to miscommunication, so...

After that year we just gave up and went back to calling them Coues (Cooos) Deer. :D

How about neither, I would like to know what the first name was given to these deer. The Yaqui's have held this deer in extreme high regard as an important part of their culture long before the some European named Coues set foot on North America. These animals were such an important food source for these people that they have a cerimonial deer dance where the dancer wears a head dress with antlers.

I say coos you say cows.

Just like Leu pold vs Lee apold. When I refer my scope as a leupold most people look at me kinda strange :blink:

I'd bet most people say coos as well as most people say lee apold ;)

Sorry, "cows deer" sounds a little silly to me. You can call them what you want but I'll make fun of you if you say "cows". It's almost no different than those out here who count eye-guards or all points together when identifying a coues. We're in the Southwest, it's a 3x3 (not counting eye-guards). NOT an 8 point!

Sorry, "cows deer" sounds a little silly to me. You can call them what you want but I'll make fun of you if you say "cows".  It's almost no different than those out here who count eye-guards or all points together when identifying a coues. We're in the Southwest, it's a 3x3 (not counting eye-guards). NOT an 8 point!

Agree completely on both counts. I say three-pointer and cooz, and I don 't give a twit what they do back east or if Dr. Elliot Coues pronounced his name like the bovines.

When I first started hunting them in 1948 as a boy they were simply "whitetails" to most Arizona hunters. Those who had some experience outside the state called them "Arizona whitetails" (and so did the Boone & Crocket Club.)

It was in the 1960s and early 1970s that we and everyone else started calling them "desert whitetails." We even had a club we called the "Record Desert Whitetail Club." The B&C minimum for desert whitetails was 100 points net and we had to shoot a record buck to join the club. We were automatically kicked out for shooting a whitetail buck smaller than 100 points or a mule deer of any size. I lasted just one season, and was drummed out because I shot a mule deer.

About the same time B&C raised its minimum it changed its title of its listing to "Coues white-tailed deer," following the scientific name Odocoileus virginianus couesi.

It sounds stupid to me everytime I hear someone say "cows' deer" but it does tell me that the person who said it has had very little to no experience with these wonderful little deer.

Bill

:blink: