Sign in to follow this  
Tines

Interesting buck

hmmm... well the anlers,nose,and neck coloration apear to be coues but the rest od the coat looks pretty muley to me. wouldnt slap a coues tag on it though

Looks all muley to me. In that area the mule deer and coues can both be found up in the mountains. It is not one of these areas where the muleys seem to just stay in the low hills and desert.

I would have to say muley.

I think that if someone shot this deer and the game warden came across them, it would be really hard to explain that you thought it was a wt because of its mannerisms.

Just my $.02

I would have to say muley.

I think that if someone shot this deer and the game warden came across them, it would be really hard to explain that you thought it was a wt because of its mannerisms.

Just my $.02

I respect that. But I was never convinced that it was EITHER based on what I observed. Maybe I need to spend more time in the woods :huh: :huh:. I also never planned on shooting the buck based on his "mannerisms", for sure. Just an observation that obviously made a big impression on me. I only stated that because I've never seen a Mule Deer act/look the way he did. But obviously that means nothing because I posted a picture of his outward appearance. And why do most of us pull the trigger when we've got an "Antlered Whitetail" deer tag anyway? Because it "looks" like a WT, right? And that includes EVERYTHING about the animal.....especially a tail. But how often do experienced hunters need to look at the tail to determine whether they're legal or not? I'd say less than 1%. If a buck has no tail, we have to look at other traits, right? And even after considering ALL of those traits of this buck, would I wrap a Coues deer tag around it? Nope....

That buck does not look anything like a whitetail. It's antlers alone look PURE carp. The body shape looks like a carp, the hind end is very obviously a carp. The face is even muley looking. Id recommend looking at the trail camera section and googling pictures of muleys and coues.

Mike

That buck does not look anything like a whitetail. It's antlers alone look PURE carp. The body shape looks like a carp, the hind end is very obviously a carp. The face is even muley looking. Id recommend looking at the trail camera section and googling pictures of muleys and coues.

Mike

HAHA! Thanks, I'll do just that.... ;)

Jake, Its obvious you don't know the difference between a mulie and a whitetail. ;) I think you should heed your own advice and spend more time in the woods :lol: . I mean you have only guided and been on more hunts than most on the site :huh: And with that said, if you need someone to show you I will take you out hunting. :lol: The recommendation that you look at some trail cam pics is highly seconded by me. :P

Lol! Yeah Jake, spend some more time in the woods! As it is now you probably get at least 10 days a year at home and really doesn't your wife get tired of seeing you that much?? :lol: :lol:

All kidding aside, I think your observations are really interesting and thanks for sharing them!

I'm just messing with you Jake! I've had moments where I confused the two and for all we know he may be a hybrid!!

Take care brother!

Mike

I would say mule deer,

I wonder how many folks are around deer enough to pick out the mannerisms consciously. Its interesting that it was even brought up.. And not something I would ever think to look at. I might look for things like that subconsciously, but not on purpose.. Hmmm, I know the difference in traits/habitats/ and maybe just maybe a few of the mannerisms, for the most part, I think anyway. But havent actually ever put thought to it, Something I will have to pay more attention to in the future. Thanks for straining my brain. :) Very interesting..