Sign in to follow this  
sjvcon

First Ever Mulie Buck

post-3141-1290819020_thumb.jpgpost-3141-1290819068_thumb.jpg

Well, he's certainly not a monster, especially coming from 13A. With some of the pictures and up close and personal examples I've seen from that unit, I almost feel like I robbed the craddle on this one. But circumstances with my hunt dictated taking the first decent one that I saw, and this one was it, especially since I came back empty handed from the Strip 3 years ago after passing up several decent bucks.

With two weeks to go until the hunt, my Dad, who was also drawn, had an injury to his foot and was not sure he would be able to go. I was bummed for 2 reasons ... one that I would not get to hunt with my Dad, and two that I probably would not get to go at all ... probably not the greatest area (remote as it is) to hunt alone ... even being a fairly big and pretty capapble guy. We continued to prep for going, but it really wasn't until the week of the hunt we got a thumbs up from his doctor ... so time came and off we went.

Spent a lot of time glassing a couple of days prior to and early in the hunt. Glassed some doe, several smaller bucks, some coyotes that would have been good long range shots if I had been hunting coyotes. Nothing really sizeable though. A few days in, after spending some time hiking and glassing in the morning, we were walking back to the truck and my Dad was talking about how much his foot was bugging him. I knew we were getting near the end of what would be meaningful hunting. We were heading back for a midday meal, and I decided to take a look in one area by a stock tank where we had seen some deer headed. Sure enough ... there's a buck. When I saw him, I knew he wasn't super wide, but he looked tall and the antlers looked pretty thick. He jumped a fence ... was a really awesome site as he made it look so easy. I headed to where he had gone over, and I glassed up the hillside behind thinking I might see him moving up into the trees. Nothing. I was thinking that he must have bolted after he hit the ground on the other side of the fence, and there was a cut there I had not seen, so he could have doubled back on me without me seeing him. I was thinking I'd lost him, but I decided I'd better check that cut ... jumped the fence and walked about 30-40 yards down into the cut and there he was. He was quartering toward me, but grazing and not looking my way. I cocked my rifle, pulled it up, and as soon as I got him in my sights he looked right at me. Didn't have a lot of time to think, but I remember thinking "GOOD ENOUGH DUMMY ... SHOOT!!!"

One shot...right through the heart and he dropped. My Dad came walking over about 5 minutes after the shot. First thing he said to me was "I'm glad you took that one ... my foot is DONE." Then High Fives and photos.

I was really glad I got to go with my Dad and share the time with him. It made it all the more special that he was there when I took my first ever mulie buck. Yeah ... he could have been bigger coming from 13A ... not a Trophy to most, but a very special buck for me.

Man that's a good lookin buck, especially a first, congrats

Congrats on a very fine first mule deer.

At the rate you're going, you'll draw the tag in a few years and tag a monster!

Nice to hear you got to share the hunt with Dad.

Check out those Chocolate horns!!! i like that, good job, and many more to come.

DAN

Thanks all! Great memories, that is for sure.

Nope 1den ... not Jessie. I'm Steve.