coueshunter

Kaibab

Outstanding bucks! Congrats on what sounds like an incredible hunt!!! Wow, very cool! B)

Great write up buddy! Congratulations again on a great buck and I agree he has "the look"! I was extremely happy for you when I got the text, I knew both you and Allen would have a great trip and there was no doubt in my mind that you'd be bringing home the trophies. Congrats again to both of you.....now get saddled up and switch gears for Mexico!

My sincerest condolences go out to the Kaibab for its loss of two beautiful bucks. :(

Hector and Allen way to get it done in a really big way! These are two magnificent bucks. I loved reading both stories, and seeing the photos.

Hector, we need to get together and have some venison tacos (you’ll cook of course) :P . Thanks for the side view of that massive frame; I have been going crazy waiting to see a different angle since I got your text. I love symmetrical bucks!

Allen, help Hector get a bow and take him with you next year on your annual Coues hunt so we don’t have to wait nine years between successful posts from him LOL :lol: . I wish you both many more years of successful draws on the Kaibab in the future.

Hector and Allen,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Sounds like a heck of a hunt and two well earned great Kiabab bucks! Story paints a great picture, thanks for posting it. Definately makes me second guess chasing Coues every year lol!

-Tim

Great deer Chef! You and Allen both took good ones, I sure enjoyed the hunt and our off road adventure!

Great deer Chef! You and Allen both took good ones, I sure enjoyed the hunt and our off road adventure!

It was great hunting up there with you Don! Good luck with your clients on the late coues hunt!

Ha Ha! Just so everyone is up to speed, Don and I were driving down an icy dirt road. You know the type, slip and slide, no braking whatsoever, drop off to one side. Well, I hit a blind corner that just so happens to also be a crest of a hill. Keep in mind, I'm driving pretty slow, considering the road conditions. i top the ridge only to find a PICK-UP STOPPED ON THE ROAD!! What they were doing there, who knows but I had to act fast! Thankful to prior experiences in years past, :P I scanned my surroundings to come up with a plan "B." Plan "A" was to hit the truck head on, and that wasn't going to fly. I sliiiiide and point my rig towards the drop off. Once I am perpendicular on the road, with the nose of my truck pointed towards the DOWN side of the ravine, I gas it. We come to a complete stop. I engage the rear locker and drive down and out. The crazy part is, the guys in the truck didn't even roll down a window to see if we were okay! It all happened so fast, I didn't even have time to get nervous. from now on, that corner is called "Chef's Hill" by Duwanes' camp.

*Also....Did I tell you guys that one night Allen shows up to camp, late at night, without his pack?! yup, two pair of Swarovski binoculars and his Kaibab tag in it! Hopefully he'll chime in and finish the story.

:ph34r:

Thanks for all the kind words as well my friends. I and Allen really enjoyed our time up there. I spoke with him today and we both hope we did a good job of relaying our adventure to you all here.

Allen mentioned our two tent mates Lynton and Bill.

Well, Lynton has been a client of Duwanes on a couple hunts so far.

Bill, on the other hand, was a first timer, and as luck would have it, he scored big time.

He gave me permission to post pics of his stud buck. His main beam curves downward on one side.

Bill's very well deserved gagger...

post-67-1291255200_thumb.jpg

post-67-1291255216_thumb.jpg

All three of our bucks. Taken on the same day.

post-67-1291255814_thumb.jpg

Congratulations again Bill. It's going to be tough to top that one!

Mega-kudos to all 3 of you --- you did your tags proud! Allen, nice to see you tag out on that nice heavy-beamed buck after waiting all these years! Way to go, amigo ...

--- Tom

There's just something about the late hunt on the Kaibab that just gets under your skin, I don't know what it is, but there is something magical about it! Simply just the feeling you get when you are there is addicting, especially if the tag is in your pocket! Your great stories at least gave me a little taste of it even tho I didn't make it up there this year, thanks for writing it up and posting it for us!

I love the freakish bases on your buck Allen and what a gorgeous specimen you hammered Hector!! Congrats to you both!!! JIM>

The feeling of being up there is fantastic. It was kinda weird being the one with a tag in my pocket.....LOL.......you get excited seeing bucks before the season, watching what they are doing, the lip curls, pushing does a little, you hope the rut kicks in full swing, you have been praying for snow to push all the deer down, You pray its not windy, you pray for a monster...............cant sleep very well before the opener. All fantastic feelings/emotions...... I had a great time. I now cant wait to draw again (if ever) What great memories.........................Allen..............

By the way, Chef mentioned my "pack fiasco". The story: We had just come out of the woods and I was being real careful with Duwane's Huskemaw gun/scope so i took my pack off the front seat, set it on the ground by the truck and was putting the gun back in its case. Duwane sees some deer crossing the road so I grab the gun back out of its case and move towards the road to see. Duwane says he thinks there was a buck, "jump in the truck and we will drive up and look" we jump in the truck, drive up there and cant see them. They went down into the timber. We do a u turn and head on back to camp. Once we get there, I am tired/hungry/sleepy and want to get my junk out of the truck so I reach in the back seat "no pack". I ask Luke, where is my pack, I think he is screwing with me. He says he isnt and i get this sinking feeling...................I have left my pack alongside where we were up on top, someone has already taken it. What do I tell my wife? How do I get another tag? Tomorrow is Sunday, no AZGFD office will be open. Man was I bumming.......We jump back in the truck and head on up. We get to the spot and luckily dont drive in and risk running over it if its still there. I walk over with my headlight and find it.......WOW......what a relief... I had Swarovski 15's, 10's a Leica range finder, my Kaibab tag and lots of other stuff in there. It would have been a nightmare. I thank God that he led me back to my pack. Thats the rest of the st ory. I woke up the next morning, pack in hand and Killed my buck...................................Allen.........