CouesWhitetail

Lark's Aunt Georgetta's Elk

from Lark:

Got a chance to hunt elk in unit 1 with my aunt, Georgetta Hughes, from safford. Her husband has pneumonia and had to stay home so her little brother, Leroy, came along. Didn’t see a lot the first couple days. did see a bunch of 18 bulls at sundown the first day and figured they would be there the next morning, but never found em. Just saw a few spikes and a lot of cows the second day. changed tactics and dropped down quite low Sunday. Started near the big burn that just took place up there. Saw a big bunch of cows and a couple dink bulls, but she didn’t want anything to do with them. Moved to a little different area that held a lot of bulls last year and jumped a good sized bunch but could never put horns on anything in the jack pines. Moved on around the knoll and jumped 2 young 6x6’s. got them to stop by making a bunch of noise and she got a shot and hit one. hit it really low in the lungs. He bled a lot but we had to trail him for over a mile up and around the knoll in a blizzard in the jackpines. Had to stay on him so it didn’t snow out the trail. Our lungs were burnin’ when we finally spotted him in really thick trees. She made toothpicks out of several trees before she finally snaked an ’06 bullet through and dropped him. A good time was had by all. This is her 9th bull elk. She also shot a very good pronghorn in unit 1 earlier this year. 73 and still hittin’ it. I don’t even try to keep up with her, just hope I can keep her in sight. I’m headed out again today to see if I can be of help to my youngest son, Bridger, on his elk hunt. Later, Lark.

post-1-1291154001_thumb.jpg

wait'll ya see photos of the bull my boy shot yesterday. it is insane big. they'll probly write songs about it. i sent one to Amanda so maybe it'll make it soon. georgetta is a blast to hunt with. no canyon is too deep and no mountain is too far. and when it gets to shootin' time, she can get that done too. we always have a lot of fun. i've been with her in blizzards that got knee deep in an hour and she just keeps on going. hope we have more of these hunts together. Lark.

Nice! Lark's family is gettin' it done! Congrats to Georgetta on a very nice late season bull! JIM>

Lark congratulations to your aunt and gunner sent me pics of Bridgers and WOW, thats awesome. 73 is amazing she looks great and that could be good and bad for us with you. The good: you'll be with us for a long time' The bad; you'll be with us a long time! Ha ha just kidding Lark, looks like you're enjoying your retirement. Tell Gunner i am taller than his critter! Again, congratulations to you all, Tony V. :P :P