Sign in to follow this  
shooterpar

border patrol questions

hey, i took the test and just recently received my notice of results. i have a few questions that i would like to ask someone that has already been through the process.

shoot straight

bob

I can tell You one thing, there aint enough of You guys and half that are down there are either lazy or scared. Il'l tell you what, If You get hired and wanna know where they are at , come with me to unit 36b and 36c. I for the life of Me don't know how or why there isn't BP. out in the foothils (they don't even have to get on a mtn.) Most of the wets go thru flats and washes and way more make it than get caught. Seems like BP won't walk , they mostly drive and lean on their vehicle lookin thru binos. Iv'e waved at them lookin at me thru the bino's. I always see them first too. The wets aint on the hillsides where they are lookin.(I think they are scouting for deer.) Get in the washes You dummies. Or did nappy give You orders not to go there, it isn't safe. Good luck. I hope you get the job , and tell them to wake up.....BOB!

My brother starts the acadamy in a month and a half. It is a long ordeal to get through to the point he is at so be ready for that. Do not quit your job and wait on them, you will starve. And you better be in tip top shape when you go in.

Shooterpar,

Its been many years since I entered the agency and many things have changed. I would reccomend you visit the website honorfirst.com . There is a whole bunch of guys that are in the same boat as you and will be able to answer your questions. Good luck. PM me if you still have questions.

Naturebob,

You seem to be an expert on this subject. I am impressed. I am not sure where you get your information from but I can assure you that the agents are not lazy nor scared. I work with many agents that will track a group of illegal aliens or dope smugglers for 10 to 14 or more hours ON FOOT (are you willing or able to do this every day?). It is quite often many of these groups walk around 80 to 100 miles to meet their ride. It can take several shifts and dozens of agents to apprehend the aliens. Amazingly enough these agents are following the tracks over the mountains and hillsides (shocking isn't it?). Quite often through snow that is a couple of feet deep and then down into the desert floor. Temps can be in the teens to over 115 in the summer. You are correct that they also travel in washes and I can assure you that many are apprehended in those washes since the agents also track them through the washes. I am glad that you have all of the answers. Maybe you can work as a consultant. As far as those agents driving around. If they are driving slowly and looking out the window, then they are signcutting and looking for evedence that someone has crossed a road. Since the inception of the agency in 1924, many thousands of agents have discovered this to be a much more effective way of working than just wandering around the area blindly. As far as looking through the binoculars, I would imagine that you use the same tactic to look for deer on the side of a mountain. This is also a tactic of detecting people instead of wandering around. Amazingly, working as a Border Patrol Agent is very similar to hunting deer. Which do you think is more effective, walking around a hillside or canyon and looking under each bush, or standing on top of a ridge and using binoculars? I can assure you also, that quite often you have been see without even knowing it.

It always amazes me that the people that spend a few days of even a few weeks a year in an area have all the answers. While I will be the first to admit that there is alway improvement to be made and politics will get in the way, the people that know how to do this are the guys that are there 24 hours a day every day of the year. These are the same guys that have to balance the complaints of the public that there is criminal activity then complain that the agents are intrusive and have no right or authority to be on their property (they are wrong) I often hear that people only see the agents driving around. Thats because most people have no desire to walk back into the canyons at 3:00 in the morning to actually see what an agent does. The same people complain that the checkpoint has delayed them for 10 minutes but in turn the next guy complains that there are too many aliens around on each side and north of the checkpoint. Some people complain that the Border Patrol should be ON THE BORDER, but other complain there are aliens in the foothills. One polititician complains about something and another complains about something else. The guy caught inthe middle is the agent you see leaning against his truck looking for a group of aliens through his binoculars.

Sorry for the rant, and although I should not, I personally take offense to your statements. Next time you call a agent lazy, consider the guy that tracks 20 miles or so all night by himself and after apprehending the group of 10 to 40 people (again by himself, which would scare most people), carries a six or seven year old kid another four or five miles to the nearest road. Very rarely does this stuff get noticed by the public.

Was sitting around the campfire a couple of days before the early hunt in 36B when we noticed some lights coming up the wash , about 75 yds out from our camp they shouted 'border patrol ' , these men had walked from the Ruby Rd and were headed to Apache Pass , cross country. One helluva hike in the dark. They were decked out in body armor carrying whatever assault weapon is used. We chatted up for a while and then I drove them the rest of the way to meet up with the balance of there group. Tough and fit men. I have also seen some that were not so active. Either way , I have the highest regards for men who put there lives on the line .

Jim

+100

Shooterpar,

Its been many years since I entered the agency and many things have changed. I would reccomend you visit the website honorfirst.com . There is a whole bunch of guys that are in the same boat as you and will be able to answer your questions. Good luck. PM me if you still have questions.

Naturebob,

You seem to be an expert on this subject. I am impressed. I am not sure where you get your information from but I can assure you that the agents are not lazy nor scared. I work with many agents that will track a group of illegal aliens or dope smugglers for 10 to 14 or more hours ON FOOT (are you willing or able to do this every day?). It is quite often many of these groups walk around 80 to 100 miles to meet their ride. It can take several shifts and dozens of agents to apprehend the aliens. Amazingly enough these agents are following the tracks over the mountains and hillsides (shocking isn't it?). Quite often through snow that is a couple of feet deep and then down into the desert floor. Temps can be in the teens to over 115 in the summer. You are correct that they also travel in washes and I can assure you that many are apprehended in those washes since the agents also track them through the washes. I am glad that you have all of the answers. Maybe you can work as a consultant. As far as those agents driving around. If they are driving slowly and looking out the window, then they are signcutting and looking for evedence that someone has crossed a road. Since the inception of the agency in 1924, many thousands of agents have discovered this to be a much more effective way of working than just wandering around the area blindly. As far as looking through the binoculars, I would imagine that you use the same tactic to look for deer on the side of a mountain. This is also a tactic of detecting people instead of wandering around. Amazingly, working as a Border Patrol Agent is very similar to hunting deer. Which do you think is more effective, walking around a hillside or canyon and looking under each bush, or standing on top of a ridge and using binoculars? I can assure you also, that quite often you have been see without even knowing it.

It always amazes me that the people that spend a few days of even a few weeks a year in an area have all the answers. While I will be the first to admit that there is alway improvement to be made and politics will get in the way, the people that know how to do this are the guys that are there 24 hours a day every day of the year. These are the same guys that have to balance the complaints of the public that there is criminal activity then complain that the agents are intrusive and have no right or authority to be on their property (they are wrong) I often hear that people only see the agents driving around. Thats because most people have no desire to walk back into the canyons at 3:00 in the morning to actually see what an agent does. The same people complain that the checkpoint has delayed them for 10 minutes but in turn the next guy complains that there are too many aliens around on each side and north of the checkpoint. Some people complain that the Border Patrol should be ON THE BORDER, but other complain there are aliens in the foothills. One polititician complains about something and another complains about something else. The guy caught inthe middle is the agent you see leaning against his truck looking for a group of aliens through his binoculars.

Sorry for the rant, and although I should not, I personally take offense to your statements. Next time you call a agent lazy, consider the guy that tracks 20 miles or so all night by himself and after apprehending the group of 10 to 40 people (again by himself, which would scare most people), carries a six or seven year old kid another four or five miles to the nearest road. Very rarely does this stuff get noticed by the public.

I felt sorry for a BP agent last October. He had to walk about 6 miles in just to make sure we were hunters. Had a nice short talk with him and he went on his way. I wonder why we spend all this money when there are guys like NatureBob out there? Once they start looking in the washes this will all be over. Unbelievable post Mr. Nature Bob. Unbelievable.

Well said Bradne.

The Fed. Govt. has the Border Patrol,ICE(HSI NOW) hands tied behind their backs. You are dammed if you do and dammed if you dont. I see it on a daily basis. If you call them lazy it is because of the Liberal Govt. They want to work but scared of the penalities from Washington D.c.

+1000

Naturebob please don't use this forum to belittle border patrol agents. There are many fine agents out there working hard battling an extremely difficult problem in this country. As with any agency there is always room for improvement. but calling them lazy, dumb, and scared is inaccurate, irresponsible, and offensive to many of the fine agents that give their all on the job.

Amanda

Shooterpar,

Naturebob,

Well said. I dont mind being delayed for awhile waiting for BP to do their buisness. You should check out the tv show border wars, I bet some attitudes would change seeing these guys in action. Be patient waiting for the BP to get back to you with the next stage. My brother in-law is in it too. Good luck, and God bless!

Sorry Guy's for ruffling Your feathers. Really didn't mean too. Just a really frustrated hunter who is tired of the borders not being secured to the point that we are not safe hunting in our own country. It seems like Your hands probably are tied by the feds and the administration. I thinks most of them do their jobs , just aint enough of Ya. I respect what You Guy's do and i whouldn't want to do it. You are puttin Your life on the line every day. Many still get thru cause You still see plenty on the streets in phx. and at the home depots lookin for work .Thanks for your efforts and I wish the gov. would give You some help.. Sincerely...BOB!