Sign in to follow this  
Azarchery

Shaun's 2011 javelina

Hello everyone! It been a while since I have made a post on here! Its about time! My husband, Shaun, and I got drawn for rifle javelina hunt. We wanted to hunt together and try new unit as well. My brother, elkhunter, with his wife and my dad met up at the unit. We all set up camp had a great time. Weather was great at frist then it started to get cold.We started glassing friday afternoon and didn't see anything. Saturday morning, we all split up to three different areas. Shaun and I hiked up on a ridge and glassed along the ridge on both sides. Nothing til couple of hours later I see a dark spot moving right below me about 200 yards. I thought, "What are the odds if that was javelina?" and I looked through the bino and BAM there they are! I ran to get my husband and we got our rifles ready. It was very windy that morning and we planned out our stalk (I had to remember that rifle hunting is much easier than archery!). We stalked and got within 100 yards from the herd. We got all set up. All of the pigs were bedding down it was a tough shot.

shaunpig.jpg

We decided to wait til the pigs get up then we will have a better shot. Right then two pigs heard something (oops) and got up. I looked at Shaun and asked him, "Do you have a shot?" He said, "Yes" and next thing I knew he fired and the pig on the right went down. I fired a shot to a pig next (left) to the one that Shaun shot but the pig jumped and took off. I was bummed but I was THRILLED for my husband to get his first game! We did not have a camera with us but we used my phone ha.

shaunpig2011.jpg

We headed back to camp and relaxed a bit with the family. Then we all headed out to look for more javelina for me. We didn't see anything. Sunday morning was freezing with the wind blowing. We all headed out to the area Tyler checked out earlier. We split up along the road and did some glassing until I got a message from Tyler that he found a herd.... a mile out! We met up with Tyler he showed us where the pigs were at. My husband and I hauled a**. When we got about 150 yards from the herd, I could only see one pig but no good shot. The herd went over the hill so my husband and I went around to the other side. We didn't see anything and Tyler didn't see anything either. We had two choice; sit here, freeze out butts off and wait or do something... So we decided to do something. Shaun got the j-13 call and walked up the hill where we thought the pigs might have bedded down. Shaun started the call...... nothing.... nothing.. until I see one pig going over the hill back to where we saw them earlier! They bedded down 10 yards where we saw them the last! They were gone! :angry:

That was the end of our hunt. We did not come home emtpy hand though. I am proud of my husband. He did a great job out there! One shot the pig went down! He worked for it. Also wanted to thanks my family for coming and helping out. We had a great time! :D

Yeah! Nice job! Congrats to your husband!!! love, love, love the picture of the bedded pigs, they are so hard to see when they are not moving around (they DO look like barrel cactus). Great family pics, dogs look very happy! :)

Great story and even better pictures. Congratulations to your husband and I also like watching the pigs bed next to each other. They are always a blast to watch. My favorite! :)

TJ