AZBUCKEYE

Archery Elk Hunt

I will be using rage on my hunt

I have used the same brand of fixed blade broad head on all my archery kills elk, deer and turkey and think it is all in the placement of the shot. That being said my buddy Jake has used the rage with success but has had some problems with them with spot and stalk mostly. The blades opening from quiver to shooting position mostly and a few others. I would rather shoot something that is ready to go no matter what that is a fixed blade for me. Good luck on your hunt.

I picked up some NAP blood runners yesterday and am anxious to see how they fly. My friends have had great results with the rage but they have experienced the blade deployment problems in their quivers.

I have always used thunderheads but you just can't beat the flight and cutting diameter of the mechanical heads.

The blood runners have no o-rings or bands to worry about and they cut no matter what. I'll let you know how they work out.

Like WHALE said it's all about shot placement. There are plenty of great heads out there now days that will work awesome if your shot placement is good. If I were you I'd advise against using mechanical heads because there is always a risk of something going wrong with them. There are plenty of fixed blades out there that shoot like field point so why risk it by using an expandable. I used expandable heads for about 10 years but after having them open up during flight 3 different times I switched back over to fixed blades. Trust me you don't want to know what it feels like to miss an animal because your broad head opened up on you. With that being said I really like Slick Tricks and Mangus Stingers. Good luck!

I just saw a similar topic on that mule deer site under the elk section. Anyone thinking about using Rage or any mechanical heads should go read this thread.

I am thinking about the RAGE for this years elk hunt but still a bit leary about expandable on elk what do you think?

The More I think about it I will stick with my shuttle T's

I would stick with fixed blades on elk. You wait too long for a tag to take the risk with mechanicals. I have heard enough potential and real field examples of problems with mechanicals.......Allen......

I have a very strong opinion of Rage Heads, so strong you probably don't want to hear it.

Look for a solid, strong, fixed blade, cut on contact, 2 blade (or 2 blade plus bleeders) for elk.