GRONG

Neat finds while roaming the hills

Anyone find some strange or interesting stuff while hiking the hills over the years? Just this year I found an old steel leg-hold trap and a couple years ago I found this bayonet down in a crack in a pile of rocks in the absolute middle of nowhere in unit 21. I can't pull the bayonet out of the sheath. I wonder if I should soak it in WD-40 or just leave it as is. I was quite pumped to find it. The one side you can barely make out SPECIAL SERVICES. The oppposite side also says something but I've never ben able to make it out.

post-3-1134359711.jpg

post-3-1134359733.jpg

Now that is a cool find! I once found what I think were some very old and probably military binoculars. Very cool find, but it was before I had a digital camera, so I never got pics. And since they were on the San Carlos, I just left them where they were.

Amanda

Last year while quail hunting over the year I found 3 differnt Old Timer knives. #1 was south of Arivaca and that was a boner. #2 I found by Coolidge and that was just a pocket knife. #3 I found out by Oracle and that was a caper.

Guest Ernesto C

Nice find Josh!!

In one ocasion on a high peak in the middle of nowhere I found a small engine;it look like the motor of a lawn mower. The first thing I said was "what the heck is this thing doing here? did it fell off from a airplane or who or how it get here?? Who knows?

Josh,but I tell you what,I hope I find a BIG coues soon......that will be cool also.

Ernesto C

Nowhere can man find a quieter or more untroubled retreat than in his own soul. The second best place is.....................while hunting.

Here's a pic of a guy named Jeff Gagnon, he found this giant grizzly trap in 6B while he was looking for shed antlers, probably about 10 years ago. I think it was hanging in an old dead aligator juniper tree is what his Dad told me. AWESOME find!!!! That's a piece of Arizona history for sure!

post-3-1134361729.jpg

ive found .50 cal rounds on the top of mountains, i have found piles i mena PILES of OLD bottles and such. thats prolly the coolest stuff i have found, but i really like finding OLD cartradiges that have no markins.

Ernesto that is always my 1st reaction and i would give anyting to know why they are there!

Very cool find Josh. That bayonett is really neat! I think I would soak it in PB

Blaster or some other rust breaking product. If it is rusted, the rust will eventually eat it up so getting it apart would be the best thing to preserve it.

I have found canteens, belts, A car Jack, gloves, old mule shoes, a beat up pocket knife, Several unused rounds of ammo for various calibers, a couple old cork type whiskey bottles other assorted odds and ends.

It is pretty cool to find stuff like that. You get to a spot where you think no one could ever have been and then you find evidence contrary.

I try to pick up trash (cans, papers bottles) and carry it out whenever possible too, but that's nothing to write home about.

Nothing nearly that interesting!

rusted beer cans...how long ago did they use steel beer cans?

a muffler, I think it came off a tractor. these were west of Atacosa peak in what appeared to be the remnants of a very old cattle operation.

And just Saturday morning I found 80 pounds of marijuana. But that isn't very remarkable, I'm sure whitetail hunters all across the Nation find 80 pounds of weed on a routing basis.

Lets see, now I've found more dope than sheds in Arizona. I'd rather find sheds!

Matt

Anybody lose a 2003 Dodge 4wd quad cab? Well, I found it yesterday.......bad thing is, there is not much left........but it looks like it was a nice truck at one time.

I was going to report it, but didnt have time to show the Deputy how to get to it, and there is no way they will find it otherwise.

post-299-1134449880.jpgAll of you have probably found dead stuff like this, but this was kinda cool because of how well preserved it was. This was a baby coyote skull I found in the bottom of a wash where the coyote had apparently died because the rest of the body bones were laying right next to it. All of the teeth were in place and I was pretty stoked to find it. It's resting on a couple of antlers i've found in the past on a shelf in my bedroom. (I hope the pic works)