Sign in to follow this  
thunderbolt

struck again

If you browse boards in other states everyone has the same problem, not a local deal. And while we can encourage each other I dont believe that we can change enough peoples lack of morales to put a dent in this. It certainly does say something about our fellow countrymen doesnt it. Just my opinion but nothing is going to change until there are actual beat downs from this.

This is a route that seems pretty good to me! Who doesnt have a broken cam laying around!

Pepper Spray Booby Trap

http://www.defensedevices.com/terminator.html

My new cameras have a "code lock" feature built into the camera. Once you enter a password, the camera cannot be re-programed or used unless you have the correct password. Everytime you replace the batteries, you have to enter the password, or the camera is usless. At least if they get mine, it will be of no use to them!

I have been reading about this issue for some time now. It is one reason why I've delayed getting into the trail cam hobby. I went to the CWT yard sale last Saturday, met a few of the fellow CWT folks. I bought a Covert 3.0 cam from the shop. I'm planning to put it up this weekend where I got drawn for elk (4B). Being a total trail cam rookie, I am reading all I can. It sounds like I really have to consider where I hang it, and how I secure it. It is a real shame that we have to go to extra trouble and expense to make it "secure". Has anyone tried the "government property" angle? Maybe put an official USFS or G&F logo and warning statement on the box. Maybe set a Rambo snare with spikes....that would make some good pictures :rolleyes:

If you put your camera on water, you might as well kiss it good-bye. Sooner or later it will be jacked.

If you put your camera on water, you might as well kiss it good-bye. Sooner or later it will be jacked.

That's what I figure. I found a small isolated ridge, away from normal traffic, that had a lot of activity and rubs last year when hunting with a friend, who shot his bull at that spot. It seems to be a natural travel route for the elk. I plan to try that, then check it a couple weeks later and move it if need be.

I havent posted this yet till now. I ran into another member last week in unit ?? We talked for about an hour. I told him where my camera was and he told me that another member knows 10 other members that also hunt the same area where I'm at. Well I then told him that my camera is in a lock box bolted to the tree with a ratchet tie down holding the box up. I also told him that on August 1st around 2:55pm someone came up from behind my camera and un did the tie down. Once they figured they could not pry my camera from the tree, they moved the strap infront of my camera lense so I could not get any pictures. Well the strap fell off and I did get more pics. Not of people. I'm sick to my stomach cause he also said that he saw 2 cams with in about 100 yards of mine. I just hope I get to my stand(which I will put up the day before season opens) before they do. hope they will respect first come. I know I will.

James T.

Guys this really sucks.I went with tbolt to check his camera,fell got winded, when we finally got there he asked me if I thought any one would mess with them (I SAID no WAy) I feel like crap as well.

My new cameras have a "code lock" feature built into the camera. Once you enter a password, the camera cannot be re-programed or used unless you have the correct password. Everytime you replace the batteries, you have to enter the password, or the camera is usless. At least if they get mine, it will be of no use to them!

Yea same here. I just bought the new moultrie that has this feature and I have a reconyx that has this feature too. I attach a note to my security boxes that say it has codeloc so the thieves dont bust my box and figure out its worthless and then bust my cam.

no ... mine were not near any kind of water. the cameras were a decent hike away from the road. but i guess not far enough. i wouldnt dare put my cameras near any water. too many people around here would recognize the area.

I havent posted this yet till now. I ran into another member last week in unit ?? We talked for about an hour. I told him where my camera was and he told me that another member knows 10 other members that also hunt the same area where I'm at. Well I then told him that my camera is in a lock box bolted to the tree with a ratchet tie down holding the box up. I also told him that on August 1st around 2:55pm someone came up from behind my camera and un did the tie down. Once they figured they could not pry my camera from the tree, they moved the strap infront of my camera lense so I could not get any pictures. Well the strap fell off and I did get more pics. Not of people. I'm sick to my stomach cause he also said that he saw 2 cams with in about 100 yards of mine. I just hope I get to my stand(which I will put up the day before season opens) before they do. hope they will respect first come. I know I will.

James T.

sounds like 23

James T.

sounds like 23 ,everyone and there dog hunts that for archery

Just made it home today from a long weekend of scouting and checking camera's. Unfortunetly I discovered on Saturday my first day up that I had joined the exclusive and ever growing club of having my camera vandalized and or stolen as "kidso" previously stated in his post. Made it up to a primo spot and noticed that my front security bar was missing its lock. My first thought was I messed up and forgot to secure it when I left a few weeks prior. But as I opened my camera I soon realized I was completely wrong and my heart immediately dropped. Someone who is too lazy, cheap, and inconsiderate decided to steal my memory card but then was kind enough to leave my camera. I know there are thousands of stories like this that happen every year and to several of CW members out there and I can honestly say I feel your guys/gals pain. As Kidso stated this person has to be a fellow hunter who is only interested in seeing the pictures of what animals are coming into this area. But they better pray to god that they didn't slip up and get on my buddies camera who is also on the tank. I'm at a point where I'm torn because I had been watching a couple of bucks on this tank and was hoping to see how much they had grown in the past couple of weeks, and after checking other spots I was actually lucky enough to walk up on a stud shooter buck on Sunday at one of my other spots. Just trying to decide between sitting the area where my camera was tampered with or sitting the other spot where I have a solid buck coming into that is a for sure shooter. I really want to see if this low life is dumb enough to show up to this spot on opening day however I can't forget my goal of arrowing my first archery coues. What would you guys do?