Sign in to follow this  
daryl_s

Bear Opener

I have never bear hunted before and I have been looking through the regulations to make sure I follow the rules. I am planning on hunting Friday in 24A. It mentions that when the annual female harvest limit is met for the calendar year then that unit is closed for the current season and the future season in that calendar year. It says that we are supposed to call the day before we plan on hunting to make sure that the unit is open. Do we have to call before the opener this Friday??? The reason I ask is because of what it says in note 10:

The Annual Female Harvest Limit is comprised

of any female bear killed by a hunter or

the Department.

I just want to make sure that I follow the rules and do it right. Thanks in advance for your help.

I have never bear hunted before and I have been looking through the regulations to make sure I follow the rules. I am planning on hunting Friday in 24A. It mentions that when the annual female harvest limit is met for the calendar year then that unit is closed for the current season and the future season in that calendar year. It says that we are supposed to call the day before we plan on hunting to make sure that the unit is open. Do we have to call before the opener this Friday??? The reason I ask is because of what it says in note 10:

the Department.

I just want to make sure that I follow the rules and do it right. Thanks in advance for your help.

A given bear hunt always closes on the Wednesday following the reaching of a female harvest objective. Being that is is now past Wednesday, if the hunt has not been closed yet today, it will make it at least until next Wednesday. Game and Fish does this in case hunters are still in the field over the weekend and even perhaps taking a Monday off as well to hunt in an area where they may not have cell service to check the hunt status of a given unit.

the Department.

A given bear hunt always closes on the Wednesday following the reaching of a female harvest objective. Being that is is now past Wednesday, if the hunt has not been closed yet today, it will make it at least until next Wednesday. Game and Fish does this in case hunters are still in the field over the weekend and even perhaps taking a Monday off as well to hunt in an area where they may not have cell service to check the hunt status of a given unit.

I did read the part about it closing the following Wednesday. The reason I'm asking if I need to call before the season opens is because even though the season hasn't opened yet for this calendar year, the objective could have been possibly met by department employees having killed females and filling the female harvest objective. You know, maybe in the form of a problem bear(s). I know that is very highly unlikely, and that's why I thought it might be a kind of odd question to ask.

with each new opening season the harvest limit on the regs is the new objective. so you dont need to call before the opening weekend, even when its the second hunt

the information you were given is NOT CORRECT. YOU DO NEED TO CALL EVEN BEFORE THE SEASON IS OPEN. IF THE ANNUAL QUOTA IS MET FOR A UNIT ANY HUNTS AFTER THAT PERIOD WILL NOT OPEN. for example the october hunt in 3c never opened last year because the annual quota was met BEFORE THE HUNT EVER STARTED. if the annual quota is met a unit shuts down FOR THE YEAR. when u call they will tell you "individual hunt quotas" and "annual quotas" listen carefully as ignorance is no excuse to be bear hunting in a closed unit.

btw i just called for u. no annual quotas have been met.

also i'm not sure if most hunters are aware any problem bears that the department has to take that are sows count against the quota and any poached sows will still also count against the quota. good luck in 24a.

Mike Harris

HD Trophy Hunts

Thanks for the info. I never really thought about calling before the hunt opened, but it makes sense. Good Luck to you Daryl maybe i'll run into you out there i'll be in same unit.

Yep make the phone call. It will let you know what units are open and what units are not. It's just a phone call. Just like it says the area will be closed when the female objective is taken. It does not matter how they were taken and who took them.

Thanks for the replies. I will be out there very early until probably mid day. It's just too dang hot to do any more than that. Plus I have 2 softball games tomorrow evening :rolleyes:

Good luck to everyone out there.

oops, the annual quota didnt cross my mind. thinking it wouldnt be met cause the unit would close once the weekend quota was met. but that doesnt mean other sows wont be taken before wed.

24a got pounded with rain today.

Yeah it did! It got pounded a few times this week making all the roads nice and muddy!!

One bear met its end today in Snowflake. Rumor is a gal jogging met up with the bear and then some guy who already had a tag for this year called G$F to get the OK to take the bear out. Not sure if it was on the north side of 277 or the south. Maybe somebody else has better details.

Here is the bear number: 1-800-970-2327

Definitely gonna pack a bear tag for my deer hunt this year....

Went to go scout out 24A/B yesterday, but didn't even get the chance to leave the vehicle because the rain was so bad. My buddy and I are leaving tomorrow night around 10pm and are going to find a decent spot in the dark to crash. We plan on being up before sunrise glassing like crazy, and then leaving after sunset. Pending results, we may be back all next weekend. :D