youngbuck

New horse in the stable

After years of drooling over big 338s I finally got one. I have had one built in my head for years, lots of different ways. I wanted a full custom, but that wasn't in the cards. I finally got all the pieces together and put together last night. It is a Savage 110 FCP HS precision chambered in 338 Lapua. It is topped of with an IOR 6-24x56 MOA/MOA. After early antelope/deer/elk, I'll start working on a load. I just got in some Berger tactical hybrid 300gr OTM I'm hoping I can get to shoot.

IMG_0257.jpg

Well I went a shot it for the first time today. I shot paper at 100yds. I was able to hold around 1moa. I had one ragged hole goin and 1 or 2 "flyers", still real close to 1" 4 shot group (I didnt measure it with my calipers). I was cleaning the barrel after the every shot, so every shot was a fowler. This is with no load development. I was shooting 89gr H1000 w/ COAL 3.645 (IIRC). The velocity was 2725-2754. I will load up to 91gr, maybe a little more eventually, then play with seating depth. This is short enough to fit in the mag and be around 30 thou off the lands. I ran balistics through Shooter. The Litz tested G7 seemed a little high as my 2 long shots (1k+) were both a couple feet low. I haven't gone through the app yet to check all my variables though. I was shooting far to see how plumb my scope was tracking. Recoil was a non issue. It was less than my dad's 7RM shooting 162s at 3040fps (no break). I didn't shoot my 300rum today to compare it against, but I think the 338LM is slighty less felt recoil. I'll post again when I get everything dialed in. I need to re-level the scope and do some load development. Over all I was very happy. The recoil really surprised me. The gun does weigh just under 15lbs with scope and bipod, but it is still flingin a 300gr bullet @ 2740 fps. I hope to get it over 2800. I'm hoping for 2850, but thats thats pretty fast for a 26" LM. Since the pic I've swapped for aluminum rings and am using a EGW HD 20MOA rail. I also added a lace up cheek pad. It helps getting a good cheek weld, but makes it a pain to clean and a little tough to remove the bolt. I can't use my bore guide when it is on.

WILL THAT RUIN A COYOTE PELT?

I think that'll turn a dog inside out.

Nice rig!!!

Update #2. I shot some more groups at 100 yds. One group was under 1/2, the other right at 5/8". I shot a plumb test to see how level it all was and to test the true value of .25MOA clicks on the scope. Everything was spot on. My dad shot a group at 300 around 4", with only vertical stringing. I'm having some issues with my dies though. I am using Forster FL dies and their micrometer bullet seating die. The seater stem was making contact with the bullet tip, slightly deforming the bullets, this may be the cause of my drops being off at 1k+. I drilled the seater out with no issues now. The sizing die expander ball is collecting brass. Even when I clean this up it is aggresively sizing the neck. Seating bullets is not easy afer the FL size. I have a Redding S bushing die on the way though. I emailed Forster about the issue with the seater stem. They promptly wrote me back. I didn't expect them to fix the seater for free, so I drilled it out. Those 300gr Berger are pretty darn long. I explained the issue with neck tension for their FL sizing die and I was told I would get a call. Bob from Forster called me the next day to see what the issue was. He asked me to send the sizing die back along with some once fired brass and some marred up brass that was once sized. Come to find out Bob is one of the owners at Forster. I was pretty impressed with their customer service. I'm going to bed the stock one of these days. From what I've read the aluminum bedding block is tough to work with, but can be done. Figured I give you guys an update. I think it gonna be a real shooter when I get a sizing die giving me consistent neck tension.

You shouldnt have any problems bedding the HS stock. I have bedded many rifles wearing HS stocks, and they all came out great. What issues are you worried about.

You shouldnt have any problems bedding the HS stock. I have bedded many rifles wearing HS stocks, and they all came out great. What issues are you worried about.

The devcon sticking to the aluminum. I'm planning on dimpling it a little with a dremel and roughing it up. I may go with the gray marine-tex. I can get it through my store, but not the devcon 10110.