Sign in to follow this  
1denogean

Dove recipies

With dove season coming up does anyone have any good dove recipies that are simple? i am not the greatest cook so whatver you guys got throw it out there thanks.

Brandon

Like with quail, I personally prefer them to be battered and fried.

I like to take the birds, dip them in an egg mixture, flour and drop into hot oil. getting the oil to the correct temperature is key. if its not hot enough, your batter is gonna end up too greasy. too hot and it'll burn the flour before you get the middle part of the bird cooked. with dove being so small, it doesn't take too long to cook them though.....

season the flour with whatever seasoning you prefer. I've learnt myself that you can be pretty liberal with the seasoning if you have a bunch of flour that you're using for your concoxion. I personally prefer crushed sea salt, garlic powder and FRESH ground pepper (lots of it).

if you're not used to fryin it like this, it'll take some trial and errors to get it right. just remember that the oil temp is big when your fryin em. have fun. good eatin to ya.

With dove season coming up does anyone have any good dove recipies that are simple? i am not the greatest cook so whatver you guys got throw it out there thanks.

Brandon

All the recipes mentioned sound great and another place to find some are under the forum name "Cooking Wild Game" dove recipes. I would have posted them here but not good at moving things around on the computer. Can't wait for the season to get started. :)

TJ

doves=javelina with feathers. there ain't a whole lot i don't like, but dove is one of em. i really like it when my wife useta make dove, biscuits and gravy. i love the biscuits and gravy. but i never could warm up to doves much. they're better than javelina and liver and most ducks. it ain't that they are so bad, they just ain't real good. now quail..............oooooo, ain't much better than quail. some things are as good, ain't much better. especially with biscuits and gravy. my kids chow down on doves tho. Lark.

This recipe came from the late Bob Hirsh.

Brown your doves in oil. Use a frying pan that you have a cover for.

Pour on them a can of creamy chicken mushroom soup.

Salt and pepper to taste.

Add some chopped celery.

Cover and simmer for 45 Min.

The soup makes a great gravy for your potatoes.

Finger lickin good.

Breast them out.

Take a paring knife and following the bone and remove the meat from each side.

Rinse off the blood clots if there are any and remove any pellets.

Put them in a bowl of ice water and salt for a couple of hours to remove some of the blood.

Drain and slice each piece lengthwise into four pieces.

In a small bowl mix chili powder, granulated garlic, ground cumin and pepper (no salt).

Mix this with the dove and let sit for a few hours to overnight.

Chop up some fresh garlic, serrano or jalapeno and put in a skillet with oil. I use a hot cast iron skillet and then add olive oil and put in the dove and veggies and add some oregano. If you want salt you can add it after the dove begins to turn brown on one side (about 2 minutes. With a spatula turn the dove over an dlet it cook for another couple of minutes as the peppers cook and the garlic begins to carmelize. Don't overcook. You want the dove to be tender to the touch. You want to flip them while there is still a tiny bit of pink and juice on the top but they are browned on the botton. Most people don't like dove because the first time they ate it the cook over did them giving it that "dry liver taste".

I serve it with either flour or fresh corn tortillas with sides of chopped green onion tops, cilantro and diced plum tomato. I have never met anyone who didn't come back for seconds. Of course if you don't like mex then your SOL. I have also chopped up some bacon for added flavor once or twice.

I'll serve this with Mango Salsa and some rice and maybe some black beans. I like Mahatma Yellow rice and add some tomato sauce and chili power and some serrano pepper a bit of corn sliced off the cobb. Mango Salsa is made using the yellow mango's (not the green/red ones, more serrano (seeds optional)diced red onion, cilantro and some poblano pepper. You can get by with about 5 mangos and it serves about 5 people. Add a bit of salt 1/2tsp and let it sit overnight or 24hrs for best taste.