elkaholic

Whats going on in 10 this yr.

I did not get his name but he was from Tucson and was heading back last night, said he took the wrong week off and had to get back to work,( poor guy ) if he is a member of this site I would like to thank him, he turned me onto some decent spots, we'll see how they turn out.

Bill

The day someone tries to run me out of any area is the day all heck is gunna break loose. Wow ever these guys are deserve a good old fashion butt kicking.

ran into some guys from utah archery elk hunting in 15 in new mex. we were muzzleloader deer hunting. they said they came down a couple weeks before the season and scouted things out. found a waterhole back in the timber it looked good. they came back and packed in a tree stand and on the way out a uso outfitter told them they had to leave the area. public land and all, but that's the way uso tried to do stuff. they told him take a hike and the next morning one of em hiked in to get in the stand and their tree had been cut down and the uso guide and hunter were in treestands. he had some words and walked to his truck and got a chainsaw and went back and started cutting the tree down while the uso guide was still in it. guy came down outta the tree in a hurry and promptly got his butt kicked. then he finished cutting down the tree. guess it caused a big ol' stink cloud and they ended up moving their camp and looking for different places to hunt. we had heard some bulls that morning and told em about it and saw them the next day with a slugger of a bull. anyway, i thought that was a great way to handle the situation. Lark.

• Like 1

I just want to say, if a guide tells me to move along, and if I was there first. Well lets just say we are going to have a seriouse problem. People like this, needs their license revoked. First come, gets it, no matter what. I talked to a game warden up in 9, and he says he sits at some tanks, in full camo, and waits for someone to push him off! He said if their is a sign that says they will be hunting this, he said hunt it, if your first, to bad for him. He said their trying to stop this, way to many problems!

here's my take, and everbody knows i'm always right.

if you were real serious about recovering what was apparantly a bull that wasn't hit real good, you shoulda went back with lanterns and flashlights and stayed on it until you found it. i also wouldn't have waited an hour an a half to track it. nothing aggravates me more than for folks to "back out and come back in the morning" like they always do on the hunting shows. anyway, that's what i woulda done.

the guys doing the hollering and stuff are jerks and oughta be shot numerous times with a pellet gun.

if you don't want folks driving down the road by a waterhole, find a waterhole that doesn't have a road next to it. just because you're sitting there doesn't mean other folks hafta change their plans. Lark.

We thought about coming back with laterns, but we knew the blood trail was fading fast and made a decision to wait until the next mourning. If we still couldn't find it the next mourning in the daylight and giving him all night in his bed, do you think we could have really found him that night?

I guess people in 10 just drive roads up and down at the prime time of evenings to harvest elk which is ok. Just don't make sense when I have signs out and the same truck drives past the tank four times and shuts his door right next to the tank. He was being pretty dis-respectful in my opinion.

h

We thought about coming back with laterns, but we knew the blood trail was fading fast and made a decision to wait until the next mourning. If we still couldn't find it the next mourning in the daylight and giving him all night in his bed, do you think we could have really found him that night?

Not rubbing salt in your wounds and not knowing the exact situation, it is often times easier to pickup a blood trail or blood speck trail at night with a good lantern. blood will reflect off the light. Personally i like trailing at night better than day light.

Overall i feel for all the crappy circumstances you endured and I commend your overall attitude of staying positive. If you can't get out this year Hopefully Karma will give you a tag next year.

one thing i always do and feel like everyone else should too, is to make every effort to recover a wounded animal. no matter if it gets dark or whatever. i'll spend the night out in the woods if need be to keep on one. sounds like guys looked for him really hard, but in my opinion, you should do whatever it takes, even if you're just wandering around looking for his trail. it's your tag and your hunt, if you're satisfied with your effort that's all that matters. i'm sitting at home recovering from surgery and armchair quarterbackin'. but as far as the tank deal, i don't see any reason to be upset. yeah it's aggravating, but there's a road there and the guy is hunting. i don't think anyone should feel they have dibs on anything on public land. the guy was just doing what he felt he needed to do. be great to me if there weren't any roads. or if they did like colorado and some other places and close all kindsa roads before the seasons. they do it to preserve the roads because they get so much rain in the fall, but it sure seperates the men from girlyboys. one time me and another guy were scouting for the muzzleloader elk hunt in Az and stopped by a waterhole on the side of a real main road to look at tracks. there was a guy in a treestand directly above our truck that got all yanked off at us. who was wrong? i ain't runnin' ya down. just expressing an opinion. ya still have 3 days, good luck and shoot a big one. Lark.

USO has been doing this for year's. They got their a$$ busted for flying and fuk$$ng up numerous hunt's in the past. Now they hire private pilots and continue to do their shannigans. My advise to you is to write down the plates, plane numbers, and call it in. They do not own the wild life in ARIZONA

The day someone tries to run me out of any area is the day all heck is gunna break loose. Wow ever these guys are deserve a good old fashion butt kicking.

Yeah ... I was thinkin' the same thing. Bullies generally know who they can pick on though ... they probably wouldn't try to run a guy off who had the look of someone who would actually hand them their lunch.

I remember Lark tellin' that USO story once before ... laughed my butt off then and laughing my butt off now. That is CLASSIC!!!!

if you were real serious about recovering what was apparantly a bull that wasn't hit real good, you shoulda went back with lanterns and flashlights and stayed on it until you found it. i also wouldn't have waited an hour an a half to track it. nothing aggravates me more than for folks to "back out and come back in the morning" like they always do on the hunting shows. anyway, that's what i woulda done.

the guys doing the hollering and stuff are jerks and oughta be shot numerous times with a pellet gun.

if you don't want folks driving down the road by a waterhole, find a waterhole that doesn't have a road next to it. just because you're sitting there doesn't mean other folks hafta change their plans. Lark.

I guess people in 10 just drive roads up and down at the prime time of evenings to harvest elk which is ok. Just don't make sense when I have signs out and the same truck drives past the tank four times and shuts his door right next to the tank. He was being pretty dis-respectful in my opinion.

So what would you of done if I beat you to the tank? I'm sorry, but the sign bull shoot stuff has to stop! Sorry if I piss anyone off just my two sense!

So what would you of done if I beat you to the tank? I'm sorry, but the sign bull shoot stuff has to stop! Sorry if I piss anyone off just my two sense!

I think the "rule" is the first one there gets the spot. I'm good with that. If I am planning to hunt a tank/draw/knoll/saddle and someone beats me there, that is my fault, and I don't have a problem finding another spot. Signs don't reserve a spot, nor does an unoccupied blind or an unoccupied tree stand left there the week/day/night before. If you want the spot, be the first one there ... PERIOD. And I'm not talking about some hired representative ... I am talking about the guy/gal who has the tag, is doing the hunting, and is pulling the trigger. That is what good hunting is about. That is my two cents.

the best thing i ever found for trailing blood, when it is sparse anyway, is little kids. they have great eyesight and they are a lot closer to the ground. you show a little kid what you are looking for and it is amazing what they can find. been multiple times over the years i winged something, went home and got my kids and they trailed it right up. but they ain't worth a dang and packin' anything out. i gotta a couple grandkids that are about ready to train. Lark.

I agree first come gets the tank. When I put signs out that means I'm sitting the tank at that time, and that means I'm first to the tank. I don't leave signs up before or after sitting a tank. I saw a few others on this hunt with signs up at tanks as well, and I would rather have that then walk in on them and disrupt their hunt.

Lark I understand your view on the situation and the tracking of the bull. It was a tough decision, and we feel every effort was made to recover the bull. I knew we would end up finding the bull during the hunt, but I had a feeling it would be too late and it was. I'm also not that surprised the other hunter took the bull, he probably felt the bull wouldn't be found and didn't want the antlers to go to waste. It would be nice if whoever happened to find the bull saw this post and felt the need to return the antlers.

Did you ever check with game and fish to see if they picked up the antlers?

When I see a sign posted on a tank saying a hunter is present, I don't believe it until I see the actual hunter. If you are in the blind and have a hunter coming into the tank let him know your there, stand up, whistle or something. If your using a ground blind don't leave your crap in expecting it to hold your place. First one to the tank gets it. If you leave for anything, it's up for grabs.

I spent three hours building a ground blind onetime and came back the next afternoon to find another hunter in it. I waved and went on my way.

Sad, sad stuff, my friend.

Lark,

This is a tough one for me. I've "backed out" in the evening, only to find the critter not far from last blood and everything went as planned. I've also followed GOOD blood in the dark, only to bump the animal and end up losing it.

I learn something new in the field everyday. Honestly, I HATE blood trails! I love it when they go down in sight.

In the end, you've committed to that wounded animal and all meaures should be taken to recover it. Unfortunately the meat cant be salvaged, sometimes. But a lot of the times it can!

And sometimes it does mean to back out and come back in the morning if that's what the "signs" are telling you.

Sounds to me the problem was some random hunter who cut the horns off of a bull that he stumbled upon (if that was truly his bull).

In my experience, sick animals don't go more than a half mile unless they're pushed. Sure, there are exceptions to every rule. But sick animals want to lay down and drink. Predators, elements and humans are probably the only thing telling it to "get up and keep going!"