Sign in to follow this  
tommat

Opening Morning 1st deer

Great hunt with an exciting finish! Opening morning found us glassing just as the sun came up. A hand full of doe were spotted but no bucks. His tag was any antlered and we were in an area that holds occasional mulies so we were on the lookout for either. My son is 10 and I wanted above all for this hunt to be a fun one. I for sure didn't want to drag him up into the canyons I favor so we planned on riding the quads to good glassing spots, and then some short hikes to other glassing spots. At one of these stops one of my buddies spotted a WT spike about 130 yds off but my son was unable to locate him with his eyes and he fed over the canyon top. My son was very dissapointed he didn't get to see it, let alone get the gun on it. He seemed to double his efforts from then on. He was glassing with Leupold Yosemite 8 X 30. Great glass for youth, very light, with a great view for under $100. I had him steady them with a mono pod. At another stop we glassed up a herd of Javelina and shortly after two deer hanging with them. My buddys with their swarovskis quickly ID'd them as bucks, spikes still in velvet. Clay, my son stayed very calm and after a min was able to locate them and select a target. The grass was tall and I helped him get the gun on a shooting stick. The range was just over 200 yards. The first shot was just off. They ran up hill into thick cover. After a bit we were able to locate them again and Clay had a very narrow window in that cover, of the larger of the spikes. The new range was 235 yds. I told him to hold his Rem 770 .243 dead on the sweet spot. Boom. The deer went down hard but we couldn't get a look at it so we waited 15 min and moved up to check it out. He was down. Smiles all around.

post-2234-0-37508800-1318202703_thumb.jpg

I hope to enter the pic in the contest, and measured the spikes as 4 1/2" x 3 1/4". As you can see the deer was still in velvet.

post-2234-0-50812400-1318203006_thumb.jpg

My thanks go out to my friends Darin and Chris for their help. Venison chops at our house very soon! Next season Clay says he will hold out for a deer with "some points".

Congrats Clay on your buck! Way to stay cool and get that second shot!

Great job Clay !!! Thats why we practice. :D

• Like 1

Congrats to Clay!!! Was nice meeting you around the fire on Saturday night, Tom. Carlos had shown me the pic on his phone, and these additional pics are awesome!

Nothing like a Junior hunt!

S.

:)

• Like 1

Cool! :D