Sign in to follow this  
jefftrucker12

Bringing dog to hunting camp

What does everyone think about bringing their dog or dogs to their deer camp? seems easier to bring them along then have someone have to watch them. Going on the 21 wt hunt next week and thinking i will bring them with.

pros and cons? good or bad?

Doug (aka RedRabbit) takes his dog Rica on all his hunts. He even takes her out glassing on the hunt with him. I leave mine at home and my hubby takes care of them while I am gone. But as long as your dog is pretty obedient and won't go chasing deer, then you are probably ok to take them in the field with you. My dogs don't like being left at camp, so for me that's not an option unless someone is there to watch them.

It is going to depend on the dog, and the people you are camping with. I have low tolerance for barking dogs anywhere near my hunting camp, and even less tolerance if I'm sitting on a ridge glassing somewhere. ;)

guess thats a question to ask the others in your hunting camp!

if i'm camo'd - dont want no dog jumpin on me actin freindly

depends on dogs obedience train'n! yappin -barkin dogs got no business in camp.

well mannered and dogs that can be chained up and stay put quietly aren't aproblem- usually

About 15 years ago we had a large elk camp in unit one. A person we knew from our town had also drawn the same tag but did not know the area, so we invited him along. His wife brought her two yappy snousers along. It did not take too long for all of us to get tierd of the constant harrassment from these dogs.

One day we were shooting our bows, and as we tried to pull our arrows, the dogs were nipping at us. She would call them back, and it would happen again. Finally I had enough! I pulled one of the orange dots off the target and stuck it on the side of one of the dogs. The lady was quite offended, but she made sure to keep the dogs in her trailer.

I enjoy dogs all the time, even in camp, but they must be "good" dogs with good owners. If the owner allows the dogs to do as they wish without consideration of others it becomes very annoying to everybody. We bring are dogs along whenever we camp, but we make sure they do not bother others, and that everybody knows, long before we leave, that we will have our dogs with us.

Good posts - also make sure as a "good owner" to tend to the smelly stuff. Nothing worse than walking around camp and step in pile of dog poop.

As long as it aint some Dumb Arse Lab it will probly be fine... :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

On a serious note I generally don't care for most dogs in camp unless they are proven. My Healer, Zip, is with me where ever I go, scouting, hunting, hiking,camping... so we always have one dog in camp.

What does everyone think about bringing their dog or dogs to their deer camp? seems easier to bring them along then have someone have to watch them. Going on the 21 wt hunt next week and thinking i will bring them with.

pros and cons? good or bad?

I've been taking my(our) dogs; 100 lb. Doberman and 85 lb. Chesapeake Bay Retriever; to deer camp for about 4 years now. My fiance loves to camp but has no interest in hunting and so I feel a lot better with them there to protect her. They've never run off and enjoy being outside with us. Kinda neat really.

i'm used to havin' a couple dozen dogs with me sometimes when i hunt. bears and lions anyway :P some guys i know of from back east came out to new mex on an elk hunt on an exclusive, private, really slick ranch. one of em brought his dog. i can't remember what it was. dorky bird dog or some deal. anyway, the dog was just a pet and had never been around guns and they guy really loved it. and it was a good dog too. really friendly. they decided to check their rifles and at the first shot his dog ran off and was never seen again. it was really a sad deal. poor guy was heartbroke. so not only do you need to make sure it's cool with other folks, but you need to make sure it's cool with the dog.

i also hate yappy, rude, barkin' @$$ed dogs and their owners are usually about the same kinda folks that have kids that act the same way. Lark.

we take dogs all the time..we stake them out so that they are not running around bugging people ...

and when we are hunting they are in the trailer or crates in the trailer..and as long as their are not people standing out side of our trailer talking they are quiet...we had one occasion where someone was complaining about how noisy our dogs were come to find out this old bat was walking her yapping pile of fur around and would literally stand out side our trailer door antagonizing our dogs ...Well Duh my dogs better bark when some dumb____ is snooping around our property when we are gone :huh:

• Like 1

Doug takes his dog Rica every where... And Ive almost shot her twice! Jumped out of the truck when a coyote decided to run across the road.... And with a 90's buck standing on the hill my 257 wby was pointed at!

Id love to take my lab with me everywhere, but Id afraid of him getting shot, or....

yep - i'd be happy to camp with Arlette and Bob- and thier dogs anything - specially if Bobs cookin spagetti- lol

I like the marinaded wild game medallions he does..I could eat those all day long...:D

Doug (aka RedRabbit) takes his dog Rica on all his hunts. He even takes her out glassing on the hunt with him. I leave mine at home and my hubby takes care of them while I am gone. But as long as your dog is pretty obedient and won't go chasing deer, then you are probably ok to take them in the field with you. My dogs don't like being left at camp, so for me that's not an option unless someone is there to watch them.

I have to agree with Amanda on this one. It's not fair to leave the dog in camp or to let others watch over it while you're out. It's your responsability. With that said I will let you know my lab will be in my elk camp and if you don't like it then I suggest you stay or camp somewhere else. My brother-in-law said to me the other day, " dogs are not a place to be in elk camp and don't tell me you are going to have Lexie in camp", and I said "you need to camp somewhere else. You're not welcome in my camp."

Now you know where I stand on this. My dog is my best friend, my partner, and family. :)

TJ

My dog is my best friend, my partner, and family. :)

TJ

:) + 1

Love to have them in camp with us, but only if my husband or myself can stay with them. Will leave them in camper for morning or afternoon hunt but hate to ask someone else to watch them while we're gone.