Sign in to follow this  
BABBITT_BOYZ

My 2011 Archery Buffalo

On the Run

By Stephanie May Babbitt

For most people, the last place they want to be at 5am on a Monday morning is in the middle of 100 stampeding bison. But for this bow hunter, I was right where I needed to be…

It took months for me to convince my husband Ted to forget about his beloved Coues deer for a year and put in for mule deer. I wanted to apply for the archery deer hunt in the Kaibab because if drawn, tag holders can also buy an over-the-counter bison permit. I’ve had buffalo on my mind for a few years now and I have been dreaming of taking one with my bow. Sure enough, he gave in, and we got drawn!

We scouted hard and thought we had the big beasts all figured out. However, the first few days flew by without seeing hide or hair of our quarry. At sundown on the third day, we finally caught a break. The herd we were after was slowly approaching a large meadow to feed. It was too late to make a move, but we had a good feeling that they would still be around in the morning. I was so excited for the following day’s hunt that I unsuccessfully tried to persuade Ted to bust out our bedrolls in the back of the truck, so that we would be in prime position for first light. He wasn’t having any of that and we returned to our camp 10 miles away.

I hardly slept that night, waking every hour or so to see if it was time to hunt. After long last it was morning, we dressed quickly, and hurried to my uncle Steve’s camp. We all caravanned to the meadow where we spotted the bison the night before, and sure enough they were everywhere! A hundred or more were spread across the vast meadow.

As we crept across to the tree line, a hundred yards south of the herd, we were put on edge by the groans of the enormous rutting bulls. My uncle Steve, still half asleep, jokingly confesses to dreaming about stampeding buffalo the night before. The three of us giggle as we discuss in whispers the safest spot to be during a stampede. The consensus was hiding in the thick timber at the edge of the meadow. We settle in to a lone blue spruce tree not far from the seemingly safe timberline. As we begin to plan our strategy, a distant rumble silences us, and Steve’s dream becomes reality. Something disturbs the buffalo and the peaceful meadow turns into the hectic hunting scene from Dances with Wolves. In groups of 2-15 the bison thunder past us at speeds of about 30MPH. I periodically leave my safe haven to peak around branches to see when the next group will be upon us.

Several groups pass before the first arrow flies, each time drawing my bow and attempting to line up a shot. Through my peep sight it is hard to distinguish bulls from cows in the dusty pandemonium. There is no room for error as my tag only allows me to shoot a cow or a yearling. A few minutes later, our team is in a rhythm and Ted calls out whether the buffalo dashing past us are shooters.

A group of bulls is followed by a group of 4 cows. I take aim at the lead cow, double check the sex, and release my arrow. As my target continues to run full speed past me, I gleefully yell when I see my pink fletchings buried behind her shoulder. I grab Ted’s arm and tell him to watch her, as I knew the Rage would make quick work of her vitals. She staggers then disappears over a small rise. We were brought back to our surroundings with a violent crash in the timber. Yet another group of the herd stampede into the trees, destroying everything in their path. The noise is so unnerving that the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. We manage to survive the remainder of the mayhem and agree that the tree line would have been a poor choice for safety. We set out into the meadow in search of blood. Words can’t describe the condition of the ground. It appeared to have taken a beating. We found ½ my arrow 20 yards from where I shot her. Due to the newly upturned soil the blood trail was hard to follow. However, we knew the direction she was headed in. I stayed on the blood trail while Ted and Steve went for a look around. Within 30 seconds, Ted called my name and I knew he had found my buffalo. I ran to catch up and could not believe my eyes.

I had made a perfect shot and she hadn’t made it 100 yards. Still in awe of the chaotic, once in a lifetime experience, we all celebrate. None of us can believe what happened to us on that morning. We snap a few pictures and set to work. It doesn’t take long before the other ½ of my arrow is discovered. The Rage put over a 2-inch hole through the football sized buffalo heart. Not too bad of a shot for a target that is moving at about 30MPH!

My dream came true very early on a Monday morning with an unbelievable turn of events. I harvested a bison with my bow from one of the last remaining free-range herds in North America. I couldn’t be more thrilled.

post-5208-0-83949100-1318989882_thumb.jpg

post-5208-0-09009600-1318990148_thumb.jpg

post-5208-0-29475100-1318990155_thumb.jpg

post-5208-0-99165800-1318990162_thumb.jpg

post-5208-0-36487700-1318990173_thumb.jpg

post-5208-0-80593800-1318990181_thumb.jpg

Wow check that out!!!! Freakin awesome! Great hunt, pics, and write up!

Wow, what a beautiful trophy. The story sent chills up my spine. Congratulations on making your dream come true.

Wow! Congrats, what an incredible experience! Amazing shot, I've always doubted the Rage, but there is no doubt about that hole! Job well done!!! That is one of the hunts that is on my dream list....Someday :rolleyes:

Cracks me up :lol: The first three responses start with WOW!!! Yep, that is pretty much the first thing that comes to mind! :P

What a cool story and a great experience! Talk about getting the heart going! Didn't you just kill a great muley that I read about in Huntin' Fool a few months back? I thought I recognized the name but may be mistaken.

Awesome that you and your husband are able to do this stuff together. You are both very lucky! Congrats again, awesome buffalo!

Yep thats her!!!! She has racked up some solid critters. I am very thankful that we can enjoy our experiences in the great outdoors together. Although her hunting stories are a lot more intense and exciting than mine!

That had to be utterly exhilarating to not only witness the chaotic stampede but be IN IT!

How thrilled were you upon making your dream a reality?...and in spectacular fashion!

The adventure is in the hunt and what a hunt you had.

Big time congratulations.

Enjoyed reading on your success.

I said it before and Ill say it here.

"Coolest hunting story of this year!!"

Congrats on all your successes Steph.

Ted: Awesome guide job

You guys make a great team.