Sign in to follow this  
wbyfireman

Depressing hunting story.

I was hunting in 36B, with my Kaibab's and tripod set up I glassed up a decent buck and ranged him at 480yds!! No problem I thought; I was using my .308 Remington 5R shooting 165gr Nosler Ballistic tips M.V. 2800fps. I have a Sightron SIII 6-24X50 mounted on top. I have shot this distance before and am confident putting all shots in 3-4" under REAL hunting conditions!! so I thought "No problem my hunt will be over in no time" I had my bipod set up and a rear rest. My brother had him in the spotting scope; I adjusted 8moa plus 2click"s and let fly expecting to see the deer drop. ......... Nothing, again-BANG!!......... Nothing, again-BANG ........ Nothing. I said WTF and let the deer walk over the hill knowing something was wrong. I took a practice shot at 100yds and was 6" high WTF!!!!! 4moa should put me exactly 2" high,........ low and left, again I adjust, and the shots are all over.

What happened?? I assume my turrets got messed up somehow. I took the scope off and spent the rest of the hunt helping everyone else find deer. To top it off I glassed up a HUGE mountain lion at 580yds the next day and had nothing to shoot it with :( :(. I sent the scope back to Sightron and they said they would fix it for free but it still cant bring back that deer and lion.

Maybe next season

Might be that something came out of adjustment, but if this was last weeks hunt I would bet that those spiraling winds and huge gusts were making most long shots a bit less accurate... :blink:

Scope mounts were rock solid I was using dead-nutz 30mm mounts>>>>>> to the best of my knowledge anyway. also this was the first hunt, warm weather but no wind.

I've had the same thing happen on a Zeiss scope. Albeit at the range and not while out hunting.

I sent it back to Zeiss and they sent me a new scope. Something about the reticle moving inside the scope.

Terrible that it happened out in the field!

I think I will take a spare gun from now on. I don't want to leave it in the truck or in camp in case it get stolen, but ending your hunt because of faulty equipment is terrible!

Have you thought about your practice elevation & temp compared to the Hunting elevation and temp? I know if I sight my gun in down in the valley in 110 degree weather then go on a hunt in dec with 60 degree temp and 3500 elevation it will be off.

Right now I have consolidated down to one hunting rifle. This post makes me think I need to go out and get a backup. After looking forward to a hunt all year it would be devestating to have that happen. The only bad thing about having a backup gun in the truck is worrying about some scum bag breaking a window and taking it.

Right now I have consolidated down to one hunting rifle. This post makes me think I need to go out and get a backup. After looking forward to a hunt all year it would be devestating to have that happen. The only bad thing about having a backup gun in the truck is worrying about some scum bag breaking a window and taking it.

I worry about the same thing. I usually make sure I am familiar with my hunting partners guns and try to shoot a few rounds with their rifles pre-season "just in case" I need to use theirs. If you hunt alone this isn't an option though.

I carry a long bow in the truck, a 9mm on my hip and sometimes a slug gun disassembled in my pack... In a pinch, I just have to get closer!

This is why I ALWAYS bring 2 rifles or 2 bows. My hunts are too expensive to end up throwing rocks. Camp security is an issue, and a couple of well placed game cameras can provide some peace of mind. There are other ways to secure things inside your vehicle or hide them on tyhe outside. Sorry for your bad luck.

-SD

I agree with the "backup rifle" suggestions, but you have to figure out what's up with that gun. 6" off at 100 yards means feet off past 300. Something is up with the scope or mounts. I'd have a hard time taking that gun in the field until I figured out what was going on. JMO.