Sign in to follow this  
WHALE

Late Archery Bull 2011

Got another late archery bull today no big one yet maybe next year. Got to our glassing spot and spotted this bull about 2 miles out just below the rim and I decided I would give him a try. After about a mile of hiking up the side of the rim I got higher than the bull. Eased over where me and Justin thought he had bedded and picked him up in his bed about 225 yrds. out. After watching him lay his head down to sleep I started easing in. At about 150 yrds he gets up and starts feeding towards me to about 125yrds. He stopped and was eating on a pile of snow( which I have never seen)then disappeared behind a little finger ridge. I continue to the top of the finger. When I get to the top look over and he is 35 yrds below me bedded. I can't shoot due to limbs in the way so I ease down to 25 and with the bull looking away shoot through the limbs and my arrow smacks a limb and misses the bull. He stands up, I blow on the diafram and he looks around allowing me to get a second arrow off and hit him. Great day and my best stalk yet. Like to thank Justin, Tim and Mac for their help in spotting the bull and getting him off the mountain.

post-3109-0-64677800-1321158674_thumb.jpg

post-3109-0-04185900-1321158728_thumb.jpg

Spotting and stalking a bull after the rut with archery equipment has to rank right up there with the toughest hunts anywhere. You definately earned a great trophy with that stalk. My hat is off to you - great job. Congrats on a true trophy.

Definitely well earned!

Talk about a plan coming together!

Congratulations and it doesn't get much better than having

a few friends share with the packout.

Thanks for the replies, it was a good time. Good luck out there everyone.

congrats again john. You definately earned that bull! Next year you'll get the big one down!

Im glad I was there to help you out. Next time shoot one closer to the road lol!