I have located a huge coues buck,that appears to be over twenty inches wide on the outside,It took me over a year and a half just to get his picture.How do I estimate the outside width,his ears are pinned back in the photo.

Post a picture and we will tell you what we think. Im calling shennanigans on 20".

A 20" outside spread on a typical frame buck is going to be a buck that has a 16 to 17 inch inside spread depending on how massive he beams are and how his tine configuration is.

I would love to see pictures of the buck you are talking about. If you look at the space between the antlers from base to base on the inside is normally around 2 to 2 1/2 inches depending on the buck.

I have located a huge coues buck,that appears to be over twenty inches wide on the outside,It took me over a year and a half just to get his picture.How do I estimate the outside width,his ears are pinned back in the photo.I would love to post a photo,but I would like to know if the photo is protected by copyright and if not,how would I copyright the photo before submitting it. Any suggestions would be appreciated,as I have never done this.

There is no copyright but people on here respect others people photos. Noone is gunna steal this photo. And if people want a photo they ask. Amanda has rules about it, like no posting other peoples photos w/o permission etc.

Ya man post a pic for us to see it. I found a deadhead many many years ago that is 17 3/4" inside but never measured the outside. Ok, just had to go measure it out of curiosity, 19 1/2" outside. Back in the mid 90's I measured a guy's 2pt buck he shot with a muzzleloader in 6b and it was a solid 20" wide! I think it went a little over 90" but was stupid wide. Would love to see your pic man, if you need help posting it, send it to Amanda or one of us and we'll do it for you.

You don't need to post a picture to figure out how wide he is. As much as I would love to see a pic of the deer you are talking about, I would never post a picture of a deer on this site that is still alive. That's just crazy. Most people on here are respectable and will just wish you luck, but it only takes a one knucklehead to ruin it. A typical mature Coues buck's ears will be between 15" and 16" wide when relaxed. Use that as a guide and you'll be very close. And for what it's worth, the widest Coues in the books is 21" inside, and I personally saw a deer that was a solid 20 inside EASY. Absolutley zero exaggeration. He was just a typical 3x3, but was the craziest thing I ever saw. My only choice was a 1000 yard shot in 40 mph winds, or try to get REAL close. I thought the wind would give me a chance so I tried getting close. Wind swirled on me at 40 yards and he was gone. Never saw him again. Still haunts me. Good luck and post a pic when he's dead ;)

• Like 1

Measure once it's on the ground. If you think he is that wide he must be pretty impressive.

Interesting topic, i like everyone else would love to see pics just for the fact that we enjoy visuals :), and for everyone elses viewing pleasure here's a buck we took on the rez that had an 18 1/2" inside spread and a 21 1/2" outside spread.

102and108.jpg

Another buck... we seen this beauty on the aerial flight and i can say its the widest coues i've ever seen in my life and i'm almost certain the 21 1/2" buck would fit inside his rack!

wtail01.jpg

wtail02.jpg

wtail03.jpg

DAN