Sign in to follow this  
rcdinaz

Pre-made camp meals

Okay I need some ideas on pre-made camp meals.

I got chili and green chili, sounds the same but two very different things on goes with cornbread the other with tortillas. I saw some post by chef but whet else do you guys take that everyone is just dying to get back to camp to eat or that you could throw in a pack for an overnighter out in the field.

Thanks!

If there is a thread on this already please point me int the right direction.

add a serving of your favorite cereal in a ziplock bag w/ powdered milk. When you wake up add water, shake and enjoy in the bag.

My all time fav. is spaghetti. I HAve my wife make some meat sauce and then vaccuum seal it. I either make the noodles prior and seal them as well or If it is not a pain cook them in the field I do that. Then all you do is warm up the 2 bags and wa- lah Dinner is served. The carbs help for the long hikes of the day.

stew. We usually would put a coleman stove on really low and fill a large menduo pot (another GREAT choice)with meat, potatoes onion etc in there and let it simmer all day coming back around mid day to check it and add water. By the time its dark you can smell it from the road and is amazing!

I am a huge soup guy and love it all the time, steak isn't good to me anymore (five days a week for years has soured me on it).

When we hunted 32 at Mercer Ranch we'd run into town and buy a bunch of burros from the mexican food place on the corner by circle K. Eat one for dinner there and the rest went into the packs for the next day! We even did that this year on the elk hunt, bean and cheese burros from taco bell were awesome at sun up!

For pack meals on pig hunts I do PB&J burros. Heat the tortilla a little to make it rollable, put peanut butter all over it then jelly over that. It keeps it from going soggy and pretty much can't get smashed like bread! :lol:

When I shread up the meat for green chili, I often save some aside and do a shreaded meat barbeque sandwich meat. It heats quick and can be eaten on a bun, sliced bread, or tortilla.

We slow cook boneless chiken in the crock smothered in salsa. Then we shred the chiken and freeze it for chiken burritos and tacos. Then we just toss it in the pot on the stove and thaw it out for dinner. Slap it on taco shells or tortillas and you are done. We also do the green chilli with pork and chiken for green chilli burittos

Lately I've been eating big pots of tag soup. Nobody else in camp seems to want any of it though! :D

Seriously though, I like anything that's pre-made from home and all you have to do is heat it up in camp. I enjoy cooking in camp, especially cast iron dutch oven cooking...but after a long day hunting I'd much rather heat something up pretty quick and easy. I have a couple of favorites...a beans, corn, tomatoes, and rice dish my wife makes that does well in a ziploc until time to heat it up. The other is chili made at home and ziploc'd. Serve over fritos or tortilla chips.

I also like beef/venison and green chile burritos made at home and frozen. Throw one in the pack and it's usually thawed in time for lunch or snack.

Amanda thanks for the thread!

I will be adding these to the next menu:

Shredded B-B-Q

Spaghetti

Stew

Along with Chili

I hvae done the PB&J tortillas as well, works well. I also think I need to buy a smoker, seems smoked meat is a great thing to have for camp. I am also getting tired of cooking ducks the same way all the time.

Using vacuum bags and having everything pre-made or at least pre-cut is a great idea from the other thread!

Lark I won't be fighting you for the Spam or pork rinds at the store, ALL yours bud! :blink:

2 cans o' spam, a big bag o' pork rinds and a 6 pack o' diet mt dew. Lark.

Diet!?! What happened to the ole "two cans of Skoal and a KeyStone" Lark? :P

Amanda thanks for the thread!

I will be adding these to the next menu:

Shredded B-B-Q

Spaghetti

Stew

Along with Chili

I hvae done the PB&J tortillas as well, works well. I also think I need to buy a smoker, seems smoked meat is a great thing to have for camp. I am also getting tired of cooking ducks the same way all the time.

Using vacuum bags and having everything pre-made or at least pre-cut is a great idea from the other thread!

Lark I won't be fighting you for the Spam or pork rinds at the store, ALL yours bud! :blink:

you mentioned ducks...

here is a link to some duck recipes....i posted my favorite, duck ramaki...YUM!

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22385

Instant Oat meal, not home cookin but it is super easy and sticks to your ribs. I bought some that came pre-packaged with a little bowl(like $1.50 each too) for our youth deer hunt two weeks ago and it was a hit. Just boil water when making some coffee in the am and bam! Warm breakfast.

Fried chicken.

in dec/jan you don't have to worry about keeping it cold and tastes good cold or warmed!

turkey sandwiches with stuffing and cranberry sauce on it.

james

My all time fav. is spaghetti. I HAve my wife make some meat sauce and then vaccuum seal it. I either make the noodles prior and seal them as well or If it is not a pain cook them in the field I do that. Then all you do is warm up the 2 bags and wa- lah Dinner is served. The carbs help for the long hikes of the day.

Vacuum sealing is a great way to go. For the fall hunt we camped for 4 nights and had the majority of our meals this way. A single large pot, with a fire or a stove and water was all we needed. We froze all the packets so they were still ice cold the last night, and this also kept the sodas cold. We had the following:

Chicken and noodles, parmesan sauce with bacon

Beef potato stew

Spaghetti

Sloppy Joes

Eggs,cheese and bacon

Eggs and sausage

Potatoe chunk soup

Clam chowder

Mac and cheese with ground beef

Shredded chicken with green chilli