First off, I would like to thank everyone who was down there helping me. There was no way I could have done it without you.

Matthew, Ernesto, Hector, Lonnie, Phil, Mark, Derrick, Eric, Tommy, my Dad, MOM, Jake, Robert, Dee Dee, Debbie, Brian, everyone!

Thank you so much, there's no way I could have done it without you.

So, opening weekend. Long story short, we were on sheep everyday except opening day, but just couldn't connect. I missed a shot at a ram because the range finder wasn't working, and I shot just above him. The next day I got on a stalk but by the time we got close enough, he was gone.

Now this weekend. Friday afternoon, nothing. Saturday morning, nothing (at first.) My dad, Ernesto, Phil, and I were up a canyon when Matthew called us saying he had his eyes on a big ram. By the time we got there, Matthew had an idea where he was, so we glassed until dark, and nothing.

So we went out the next morning. It was COLD. We glassed on some ridges, and then went to walk a canyon / valley while Ernesto and Derrick drove the ranger around to pick us up. We walked through the valley glassing, and nothing. Then we dropped down into a wash. Right then Ernesto and Derrick, about 2 miles away, called us on the radio saying that Derrick found a ram. They were behind us, and we were right in front of the ridge they were talking about! Perfect set-up. We walked down the wash a little to where it turned and pointed right at the ridge with the ram and ewe on it. Matthew got him in his binoculars, and I got set up. Around 415 yards. We dialed in the scope, and waited for a broadside shot. Finally, after what seemed like hours, he turned quartering towards me mostly broadside. Matthew was going: shoot! shoot! shoot! BAM! He lunged over to the right side, and went tumbling down a cliff, and completely ate it in a Palo Verde tree. Derrick saw the whole thing 2 miles away in his spotting scope. It took a while to find him. Matthew was looking to the right of where the ram was and down the backside of the ridge, while Ernesto and I were looking where the ram was. Then my dad (who had gone back to where we shot from to make sure we were looking in the right place) called me on the radio and told me to go look down a chute to the right of where the ram was. I got down to a Palo Verde tree, and saw a leg. I started yelling holy crap! I found him!!!! We finally had him after about 2 and 1/2 hours. We gutted him there and packed him out. Then we went to Matthew's shop and caped him out, and ate dinner. Thanks for dinner Dee Dee! Everyone was saying the unique thing about him is how wide he is. I still can't believe I got him!

Thanks again everyone who was out there helping!

Oh yeah, try not to be pissed at me because I'm only 15 ;)

post-1805-0-42774200-1323740404_thumb.jpg

post-1805-0-45962300-1323741219_thumb.jpg

post-1805-0-34534400-1323741241_thumb.jpg

post-1805-0-28584300-1323741530_thumb.jpg

post-1805-0-34508300-1323742699_thumb.jpg

post-1805-0-63691300-1323744647_thumb.jpg

post-1805-0-32713400-1323740840_thumb.jpg

post-1805-0-51248500-1323744487_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Wow, great story and great ram. You are very fortunate to have such great support of friends and family. Pretty good for 15, now try to top it at 16. ;)

Congrats again Troy.

I know your Dad is very proud of you and so are we.

It's been great watching you grow up through your posts through the years.

I had fun glassing out there with you all and appreciate the hospitality shown to me by your family and the awesome Yuma crew!

You have some great friends and really wanted you to score.

Way to go!

Fantastic! 15 years old and you already have your desert bighorn under your belt, doesn't get much better than that! Many guys that are 3,4 and probably even 5 times your age are envious of you right now. Way to go young man and congrats on a magnificent trophy!

-Tracy

Great job Troy! I know you spent a ton of time shooting the last few months and the many trips getting to know the area. I am still impressed how this hunting forum has lead so many new people to become friends; helping each other when needed! What a lifetime achievemnent to harvest such a beautiful ram!

• Like 1

Great job Troy!!! Wish I could have been there but work obligations kept me away. Like stated before it has been great seeing you grow up through all of your stories that you post on here. Keep it up!!!

Thanks for trusting me to help you out. We hunted very hard for your ram and you deserve it. That was a perfect shot at 415 yards and you kept your cool waiting for him to turn. The one I had to keep calm was your dad :D . He wanted you to kill that ram so bad and boy you did just that. From the beginning you wanted a beautiful unique ram and I just wanted him to be at be at least 7 and he met the age goal and exceeded the unique and beautiful goal. You showed a lot of heart and I was very impressed with you Troy. From the beginning you said you didn't really care about score and niether did your dad, you just wanted a unique ram and you stuck to it. Score wise he isn't the biggest one on the mountain but he is no slouch. On the other hand he is probably the widest ram on the mountain with battle scares on his nose and beautiful blonde horns. You made a great choice when you took him even though I almost passed out holding my own breath waiting for you to shoot. You were squeezing that trigger perfect and put that bullet in the exact spot you needed to put it. Your smile in those pictures made all the hours and days of scouting worth it by far. Congrats on a trophy you will proud of for the rest of your life buddy.

• Like 1

Congrats on a great Ram and to have so many people to help. To hunt them is something you will never forget! I got my Ram when I was 17 and i couldnt have done it with out those that helped. If i were you i would try to go on as many sheep hunts as possible, more so to help others.

Mark

Congrats on a great Ram and to have so many people to help. To hunt them is something you will never forget! I got my Ram when I was 17 and i couldnt have done it with out those that helped. If i were you i would try to go on as many sheep hunts as possible, more so to help others.

Mark

Yeah I will try too! I gotta repay everyone that was helping me when they get the tag!

• Like 2

Thanks for trusting me to help you out. We hunted very hard for your ram and you deserve it. That was a perfect shot at 415 yards and you kept your cool waiting for him to turn. The one I had to keep calm was your dad :D . He wanted you to kill that ram so bad and boy you did just that. From the beginning you wanted a beautiful unique ram and I just wanted him to be at be at least 7 and he met the age goal and exceeded the unique and beautiful goal. You showed a lot of heart and I was very impressed with you Troy. From the beginning you said you didn't really care about score and niether did your dad, you just wanted a unique ram and you stuck to it. Score wise he isn't the biggest one on the mountain but he is no slouch. On the other hand he is probably the widest ram on the mountain with battle scares on his nose and beautiful blonde horns. You made a great choice when you took him even though I almost passed out holding my own breath waiting for you to shoot. You were squeezing that trigger perfect and put that bullet in the exact spot you needed to put it. Your smile in those pictures made all the hours and days of scouting worth it by far. Congrats on a trophy you will proud of for the rest of your life buddy.

Thanks so much Matthew!!! We couldn't have done it without you!

• Like 2

Outstanding! Your ram is beautiful, but to hear your story and how so many people were dedicated to help you achieve your goals on this hunt is fantastic! Congratulations on your great hunt and for having some amazing friends!