Sign in to follow this  
apache12

this is harder than I thought it'd be

So for the past year a hunting buddy and I would go out and try to call in coyotes. At first it was really just to get away from the house and oh maybe a coyote would come by. With no luck, not even close, we got a cheap electronic call, still we had not luck. Funny thing is that we'd laugh at how in desert near our houses we'd see yotes all the time walking our dogs or in our neghborhood, but nothing when we went out to call. This past month my buddy broke down and bought a pretty nice electonic call (couple hndred bucks) and we've gone out three times since them with not even a call back.

We always where camo, sit still, try to work the wind so it's in our favor and have tried a number of differnt areas. We are both in the north phx area.

It's getting to be kinda funny, we can go hunt Elk, deer, Pigs and be succesful or at least have a hunt, but coyotes, not luck, unless I hunt in my backyard.

We've tried up on a ridge so we can glass for miles, we tired getting in the thick for a shotgun shot. We just suck at this. Can anyone direct us to a site for "How to hunt Coyotes for Idiots 101"? Or, maybe provide some pointers. It just seems like when I'm not looking for them there they are, and when I am, where the $%%# are they.

I'm getting hooked on something I'm having no success on.

So for the past year a hunting buddy and I would go out and try to call in coyotes. At first it was really just to get away from the house and oh maybe a coyote would come by. With no luck, not even close, we got a cheap electronic call, still we had not luck. Funny thing is that we'd laugh at how in desert near our houses we'd see yotes all the time walking our dogs or in our neghborhood, but nothing when we went out to call. This past month my buddy broke down and bought a pretty nice electonic call (couple hndred bucks) and we've gone out three times since them with not even a call back.

We always where camo, sit still, try to work the wind so it's in our favor and have tried a number of differnt areas. We are both in the north phx area.

It's getting to be kinda funny, we can go hunt Elk, deer, Pigs and be succesful or at least have a hunt, but coyotes, not luck, unless I hunt in my backyard.

We've tried up on a ridge so we can glass for miles, we tired getting in the thick for a shotgun shot. We just suck at this. Can anyone direct us to a site for "How to hunt Coyotes for Idiots 101"? Or, maybe provide some pointers. It just seems like when I'm not looking for them there they are, and when I am, where the $%%# are they.

I'm getting hooked on something I'm having no success on.

I feel your pain. I'm in the same boat. I got a really nice caller a couple years back and have had very little luck calling anything in. Finally got a young yote to come in last year and blew the shot. I think the older dogs are pretty shy if they are in areas that get much pressure at all. Gonna take mine out tomorrow or the next day and try again.

I have been calling since I was 14 next month I will turn 57 - Calling coyotes has been better , I can't say if it's the drought or that they are more educated but I can say the calling gets better the further from large metropolitan areas and that goes for all the predators! 20 years ago we would score on a coyote or two just standing out in the fields or mesa's in between stands...This dosn't happen much anymore! I just think there are too many green horns with electronic callers out educating the yotes!!!!! :unsure:

• Like 2

My advise is to start hunting something else and then you will see them. All game animals can sense if you are targeting them, and will be extra wary as a result. I have had three shots at coyotes with my bow while deer hunting, but wasn't interested in taking a shot at them. Two were while stocking and one was at a water hole.

I saw some 3 coyotes running together this past saturday while deer hunting. After I failed the stalk on the herd of deer I was chasing, I tried to call in those dogs with no luck. I suck at it too.

This is what I do.

I go out and locate them in the dark. I use a coyote howl. I like to travel to the east stopping every 1/2 mile or so. I try to get them to howl. I take some tape and mark the spot. I try to find as many groups as i can. After daylight I trun around and go back and make calls at each spot. I like to call with the sun to my back with me setting under a tree or some kind of cover. you can't call them in if there not where you call. Give it a try I think it will help.

Good luck

Lane

prarie dog.bmp

Check out one of the clubs, Phx Varmint Callers meets at the FOP Lodge on 19th Ave just S of T-bird on the E side, they have novice hunts and pair up experienced callers with newbies, plus you can get tips.

Amazing... I shot a bobcat at 10 yards the first time I tried one of those Flextone MIMIC wal-mart specials for $40. Then I went on some predator sites and found the homemade e-caller and put one of those together. Tried it on Thanksgiving and 8 minutes later I shot a coyote at 20 yards. I've had an amazingly EASY time getting animals to come in. I've coyote hunted in other states, but not this type of terrain. My advice would be to maybe reduce your volume when starting your stand. You might be "blasting them out" when you start a caller too loud. I would start out a half volume, or edit up a sequence that starts at half and builds louder as the sequence progresses. Also, where you hunt- are you seeing prey animals everywhere? If you are- then there are dogs around but they might not be interested in what you're selling them... If there are NO prey animals running around, then the dogs aren't there at all. You wanna find an area that has a few birds and bunnies around, but not very many. That's when you know you probably have hungry dogs who will be receptive to calling. I'm no master predator hunter- but those are the fundamentals I use when scouting out areas. One more tip- coyotes like to be around cows... find cows- find dogs.

Well Im going out for my first time ever this weekend too so I hope I have some of your luck.

Headed down south right around Oracle Jct area.

Amazing... I shot a bobcat at 10 yards the first time I tried one of those Flextone MIMIC wal-mart specials for $40. Then I went on some predator sites and found the homemade e-caller and put one of those together. Tried it on Thanksgiving and 8 minutes later I shot a coyote at 20 yards. I've had an amazingly EASY time getting animals to come in. I've coyote hunted in other states, but not this type of terrain. My advice would be to maybe reduce your volume when starting your stand. You might be "blasting them out" when you start a caller too loud. I would start out a half volume, or edit up a sequence that starts at half and builds louder as the sequence progresses. Also, where you hunt- are you seeing prey animals everywhere? If you are- then there are dogs around but they might not be interested in what you're selling them... If there are NO prey animals running around, then the dogs aren't there at all. You wanna find an area that has a few birds and bunnies around, but not very many. That's when you know you probably have hungry dogs who will be receptive to calling. I'm no master predator hunter- but those are the fundamentals I use when scouting out areas. One more tip- coyotes like to be around cows... find cows- find dogs.

going with someone that knows calling will cut your learning curve down tremendously! Trust me I learned the hard way. Now I call in 1 about every 7-8 stands in fact I am 2 for my last 2. Calling all day with nothing coming in sucks! With all the stuff I have bought I could have bought a nice rifle or some good optics! Keep at it. Pick up a video that has some instructions and that will help. Coyotes can see better than a whitetail and smell better than a whitetail. Hunt coyotes like you bow hunt whitetails...with that I mean if they see you, here you, or smell you just forget it. Don't skyline when going to your set. After you get there let the wild life settle for a few. I try to wait 3-5 min before I start calling. start the caller of low volume in case there is 1 close by. It should take them no longer than 20 min to get to you if they're far off. Remember besides us coyotes are the top predator.

Keep at it and good luck!

James

In 1955 or 56, after reading an Outdoor Life magazine article about the Burnham brothers and the calling they were doing in Texas. I ordered one of their calls and drove to the ranch where my uncle's brother was a foreman (It's Catalina State Park now), walked up the hill behind his house and started blowing the call. Within a minute or two, a coyote came running across the highway and darned near got hit by a bus! I shot the coyote at 10 yards with my .303 Model 99 Savage, and immediately got hooked on calling.

Over the next three decades, I called in a bear, two mountain lions, maybe a dozen bobcats, four or five badgers, assorted hawks and owls, twenty to thirty foxes, 100 or more coatis, and 200 or so coyotes. I missed the bear and lions, as well as about half of the others, for various reasons.

About the time the electronic callers came out in the early 1980s, I very rarely called. I still have a half dozen of the calls I used to use and may try it again.

At any rate, I suspect your problem may be that the predators in most areas already have been educated by other callers. Heading south toward Oracle Junction, for example, will put you in range of callers from Tucson heading north. You may also want to try mouth-blown calls. Each caller imparts his/her own tone that is completely different from the recorded calls.

Good luck, keep trying, and it will happen.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1

Also maybe get a decoy. something to catch theire Eye. To keep them intrested in the movment of the decoy and not looking for the two guys in camo under a tree. They are looking and they are seeing you. Just a thought.

Also maybe get a decoy. something to catch theire Eye. To keep them intrested in the movment of the decoy and not looking for the two guys in camo under a tree. They are looking and they are seeing you. Just a thought.

get away fro the ecaller.. They work, but my best luck is always with an open reed hand call.. Good luck.. and I disagree with the get away from town idea. Some of my best spots are on the edge of town in some spots that many drive past to go calling.......

Whitey