Sign in to follow this  
huntlines

Going to be a long years wait!

It has been a while since I have harvested in January and have to wait a full year to hunt again. This buck fooled me because I thought he was bigger than what he is. If you have already scrolled down and looked at the picture you know what I mean. Then again I only had a split second to either shoot or let him pass. I also came away with a chipped front tooth which was caused by the buck fever I got from all the excitement. This is a hunt I won't soon be able to let the details slip away.

Every January I hit the field with one goal only and that is to take a hundred inch buck or better. Having just taken a buck on New year's eve only reiterated the fact I wanted to hold out for a big buck It is January after all and the last time I shot a buck in January I had to wait a long time to be able to hunt again. That was over ten years ago and I have forgotten how long a year can be. I am now going to be reminded.

The rut has been hot and Luke warm from day to day. My New Year's Eve buck the rut was red hot and exciting to be in the field. Well this day was no different and I was once again like a kid in a candy store just drooling at the possibilities. I could hear a few bucks grunting as I was trying to figure out if I should hit the stand or try some spot and stalk. The decision was made for me when I saw does acting as if a buck was chasing them. I decided to get close and just sit down and see what happened. I got in on them and settled into some cover and decided I would see what would happen.

I wasn't there long when a small buck came into view and appeared to be very exhausted with his tongue hanging out. Then a doe came running my way with her tail straight out and running in zig zag patterns. As I watched behind her I saw a big bodied deer coming behind her and he was also moving fast. My heart leaped into my throat, I couldn't catch my breath and at this moment I tried to attach my release to my string. TRIED that is….. For some reason I couldn't find my release. What made things worse was the buck came into view for just a second and all I saw was mass and width. He looked huge and I couldn't feel my release! I looked down and saw my release was stuck in my jacket sleeve. In a panic because I knew the buck was going to be in the only shooting lane in a split second, I reached down with my mouth and jerked the release from my jacket sleeve using my teeth. CRACK! I knew right away I had just chipped one of my front teeth but the buck was on top of me and I had to come to full draw.

I came to full draw just as the buck entered the only shooting lane in this thick brush. I grunted and he stopped looking right at me. I had a split second to decide to either shoot this buck or pass. All I could see was width and mass, he looked good and I decided it was now or never. After I released and watched my arrow disappear in his vitals I watched him running off. It wasn't until then that I noticed his G2's were weak and I told myself," well he won't make a hundred inches." As I sat back to take it all in I couldn't believe how bad I was shaking. The adrenaline rush from a rutting buck coming at you at Mach 2 is something indescribable. I felt the missing section of tooth with my tongue and then started to laugh. What an amazing ride that five seconds had been.

The blood trail was one a beginning hunter could follow and I never lost pace or had to stop. When I found him wrapped around a small oak tree I was impressed with his width main beam length and mass but sure enough his eye guards and G2's were all that kept this buck from making it over a hundred inches. 15 inch inside spread, 15.5 inch main beams his mass measurements were exactly the same from the base to the last measurement on the main beam. Not my best buck but what a ride. post-5532-0-84226000-1326648639_thumb.jpg

A wait well worth it! Nice job and congrats on a great buck!

Good for you... that rush is what keeps us all doing it... it is hard to let a buck like that walk! Cheers!

I can only wish that I had shot a buck like that and had to wait a year!!!!Go out of state,and it will be here before you know it.

My son and daughter both have tags so thankfully i will be busy helping them. I just love this time of year and get so excited to see bucks chasing does!

So do i enter both bucks or choose one and enter it? I took a buck on 12/31/11 and then again last weekend. I've never done this before and don't know how this works????

AWESOME!! Hope you know a good dentist to fix your tooth!! Great story and wonderful buck....

don't forget to enter him in the buck contest!

http://www.coueswhit...est_2011-12.htm

Wow! I'm impressed!