Sign in to follow this  
idgaf

The monster strikes

Short story

2 1/2 hour hunt in 24a 94 and 2/8" buck straight spot and stalk no camo 36 yard second shot.

Long Story

I decided at the beginning of the year that I would only hunt giant deer this year, but putting a branch antlered coues in front of me in a perfect stalking position was like putting a crack pipe in front of an addict, leaving it lit and saying do not smoke it. After work on Monday on my way back to show low from doing sales calls in globe and safford (sometimes my job is really convienent) I decided to stop along 60 and hunt until darkish and then get back up the hill and hope my wife made dinner. I parked along the highway and decided to hike the plateus towards the reservation line. starting at about 3:20 or so I started my trek and within the hour I spotted a small mule deer buck and eight does. I watched them for a short time and considered the day a success. After my encounter I considered cutting my trip short and making the kids/ wife dinner but decided against it and went to the next hill. I walked halfway down the hill, set up my bi-pod and scanned with my naked eye the opposing hillside; I immediately picked out a gray mass sunning itself under a bush like tree. I put my binoculars to eyes and saw the antlers. I watched for a while and then took a quick texting poll from my brothers on whether or not I should pursue. After a couple of responses that I won't repeat I furthered examined the area I fond one more deer that could spoil my stalk and adjusted my plan accordingly. I quickly ranged the area at 450 yards checked the wind once again and started my totally no camo stalk. I made it to my desiginated checkpoint grabbed an arrow out of my quiver and checked to make sure that my rage broadheads were undeployed in the quiver. I creeped over the hill and started looking around after a few moments I saw movement working its way up to me. I confirmed that it was the buck and not his companion pulled back relaxed, second guessed my pin choice, settled in with my first choice again, relaxed and released. Expecting to see/hear a reaction the buck acted unscathed and I thought for second wow that was a fun to bad I missed. The buck ran about twenty parallel to my location and then stopped to see what all the comotion was all about. I looked around for a second and thought really. I grabbed a second arrow pulled back without a doubt of first pin, settled on his shoulder and released. I heard the thumped of the arrow and watch the buck run for 5 or ten seconds (an eternity) and disappear if I believed my eyes.

I called my middle brother, ( he is the one that wanted the play by play), and walked down to the shot site and started looking for blood, hair, etc. After a few minutes or so I found the start of the blood trail and then called my wife to tell her i was going to be late. I am not much into the trendy choices (such as my dislike for anything supported by pitchman michael waddell) but the blood trail with rage broadheads are huge and they fly very well. I went down the trail following blood and watching the sun lower itself in the sky when my buck turned slightly more downhill in his travel and the blood really started to flow.

I trailed a little farther and saw his body at the bottom of the arroyo between the two hillsides. He traveled 50-100 yards before expiring.

The time is now 5:00 I hunted 24a for all of 2 and 1/2 hours this season and took this buck. I wanted to hold out for a giant but this is way to much fun to be so serious on holding out for a giant. My bow, the monster, has really stepped up my game.

The real work began right then. According to my GPS I was 5.62 miles from truck with no flashlight, a dead cell phone and a down deer. I finished my packout at 8:10 pm and still feeling the effects of the packout . i have been very fortunate the last couple of years taking a good rifle buck in October and a tall muley in velvet in august of 2010. Thanks for reading. My last three deer have taken in three different units, no secret areas just a natural curiosity to explore

2010 buck

2011 buck

• Like 1

That's a great buck - and a great story to go along with it. Looks to me like you sure know what you're doing - congrats on the other bucks you posted as well.

very nice.

something for me to look forward to in the next season.

Nice buck! Congratulations!!

What a red carpet!

You're one of the first to write about checking to make sure your Rage broadheads were not deployed before using them. Rage mechanicals are great but they do come with a bit of extra care that is well worth it in my book. A lot of the time people complain about mechanicals but fail to use the right quiver or to modify their existing quiver to prevent premeature deployment. If you use a quiver with a hood full of foam and stick the mechanicals directly into the foam like you wood a fixed blade head, you're going to get in trouble.

Thanks for the props, Coach it would look like I know what I am doing, but its more like the law of averages balancing out. Cpugsie, with the rage they are high maintence but the risk does not exceed the reward. The velvet deer I posted was killed with a muzzy three blade. I just could not get them to tune this year so I freaked out and started over.

Good Job! Love the blood trail! Looks like you've had some great success!