Sign in to follow this  
lucky2hunt

Not how I planned it... But elated with outcome!

Last February at the ADA Banquet, after some low bidding and a few whiskies :P my husband bought me a Sonoran Mexico Coues Hunt with Mexafari Outfitters! The hunt was planned for the day after Thanksgiving but was postponed when Javier called and said the ranch had received an unprecedented 3" of rain in one day! Finally, I get the call, the ranch has dried out a bit, the moon is right, my 5 day hunt starts Jan. 15th!

After reading Amanda's past stories of hunting at the same ranch, we decide to drive so we can see the country. Being comfortable with driving through Sonora we agree to meet our outfitter Javier Monge in Hermosillo. Along with Javier is another hunter who won his hunt on a $5.00 raffle ticket at another banquet (lucky him)!

post-647-0-96308200-1327337737_thumb.jpg

post-647-0-37000400-1327337749_thumb.jpg

We are in for a long day... To Hermosillo 3 hours, Herosillo to the ranch, 6 hours! From Hermosillo it is only 180 miles but roads are narrow, winding and steep!

post-647-0-89945400-1327337945_thumb.jpg

post-647-0-31277600-1327338021_thumb.jpg

And full of hazards!

post-647-0-75187000-1327338043_thumb.jpg

We got to the ranch well after dark, about 10pm. After getting gear ready for morning and a quick bean burro we hit the sack. The plan was for me to use my bow, I would sit in a blind at a natural spring while the other hunter would go with Javier's son and another guide and rifle hunt. Roger and Javier would go scout some other locations for me, there is still too much water for my liking! View from my blind!

post-647-0-48853100-1327338351_thumb.jpg

First day was a bust for me! 11 hours of watching birds :unsure: Get back to the ranch and hear stories of tons of deer seen by everyone, with 15-20-30 bucks seen! Day 2 - 11 more hours in the same blind! Ahhhhh I see 2 cows! Same stories from the night before, yes, I am getting jealous! Day 3 - I switch to a different spring, Miguel the cowboy has seen some recent action at this one. Roger and Javier sit with me for a while. While glassing a nearby hillside, Roger sees and points out a nice buck. I see him for a split second before he walks into a saddle. YAY! my first deer sighting! Javier leaves me, Roger leaves me I sit for 8 hours and nothing.... do you see a pattern here? <_< Javier keeps imploring patience on my part but with time running out for my hunt and I've only seen a handful of deer I'm loosing any hope on these waterholes. Day 4 - I go back to the same spring as the day before, the wind is at my back, I wait for it to change but it doesn't. I hear deer sounding an alarm, I've been busted! The plan is I sit all day. Nope, I decided to change the plan, I walk out and back to the ranch. I find Roger and Javier glassing a nearby hill, they said they had been watching bucks chase does all morning and most headed my way. I explained the wind, Javier wanted me to go back, but I said after sitting 36 hours, I was ready to go see some deer!

This country is NOT for sissies! Every day I walk about a mile into the blinds, there are bushes that poke, stick, scratch and grab you everywhere! And it's steep!

post-647-0-60889400-1327339705_thumb.jpg

That afternoon we took my bow and Javier's 7mm rifle, we made some stalks but were busted, the vegetation is so thick, it's hard to be quiet. Javier took us on a grueling march over several ridges to a place where the cowboy had seen a big buck hanging out. Once there we spotted deer... about 3 miles away :blink: Javier did glass up a Jaguar so that was pretty cool! Running out of daylight we decided we better get off the mountain while we still could.

Last day of the hunt... The Bowhunter in me relented, I decide to use Javier's rifle! We go to the place where Roger and Javier have watched the same buck for 3 days now. Amanda, you should recognize these hills!

post-647-0-52207900-1327340106_thumb.jpg

We spot him right away at daylight, it's the same buck Roger showed me 3 days ago. They had watched him every day.

post-647-0-51108600-1327340501_thumb.jpg

Javier and I decide to move closer, we leave Roger back to watch and guide us. It's so thick we can't see anything, Roger motions to us that he can't see the deer any longer. We continue to where we saw him last, all of a sudden a doe jumps through the brush heading right at us, turning 30 yards into and past thick bushes. Just then we see the buck we are after chasing her, I get down on a knee, prepare for a shot thinking he was going to take the same path, instead, he dips into a deep arroyo and is gone! He was so intent on that doe, he never saw us. We didn't want to push him so we decided to back out and try and glass him up again.

With no luck at finding him and the day getting hotter we decide to go back to the ranch for lunch and come back in the afternoon.

post-647-0-54528800-1327341147_thumb.jpg

We glass and I'm just about resigned to the fact I will not get a deer this trip... With just 2 hours left in the hunt, Javier finds the buck! Not seeing how we can get any closer he ask if I am ready for a long shot, I'm game! I rest the rifle on a downed tree, it is sighted in for 300 yards, the shot is 385 yards, I take my time (Roger & Javier said it was a very long time) hold a bit high, and squeeze... Bang and WHACK!!! Roger said the magic words "He's down" I was elated!!!

We make our way over to the deer and I couldn't have been happier! No, I didn't get him with a bow, but I worked hard and feel like I earned this beautiful deer!

post-647-0-72555600-1327341660_thumb.jpg

My Guide - Eagle Eyes Javier

post-647-0-74922000-1327341698_thumb.jpg

And my best hunting partner - Roger

post-647-0-32979600-1327341780_thumb.jpg

Looking through his antlers you can see the ranch in the background

post-647-0-76807200-1327341838_thumb.jpg

Enjoying success and the view!

post-647-0-13704500-1327341939_thumb.jpg

View from above

post-647-0-83605500-1327341989_thumb.jpg

We enjoyed this trip so much, wonderful people have become good friends, the food was fantastic and the countryside was amazingly beautiful! We can only hope to return again!

Congratulations!! That's a bummer you didn't get to make it happen with your bow, but congratulations on your buck! Looks like long beams on that buck!

Javier will be donating the same hunt to the AZ Deer Association banquet again this year, so you just might get your chance to go back.

A few extra pictures...

Roger spent some time fishing at the pond near the ranch! Good thing that he did, a ranch dog got into an ice chest and ate some of our food. Roger caught enough fish to feed the whole camp dinner one night!

post-647-0-06617800-1327343168_thumb.jpg

These two became fast friends, Javier says the are now 'brothers'

post-647-0-29919800-1327343247_thumb.jpg

Glassing from the porch

post-647-0-42550000-1327343284_thumb.jpg

post-647-0-10452500-1327343301_thumb.jpg

The amazing Miguel who backpacked my deer more than a mile out!

post-647-0-25589300-1327343496_thumb.jpg

Entrance to the ranch

post-647-0-43271700-1327343537_thumb.jpg

My deer!

post-647-0-07939000-1327343651_thumb.jpg

Holy cow Ilene - look at the main beams on that buck. I have never seen that much length between a G3 and the end of a main beam before. Nuthin wrong with those firesticks. 385 is impressive for someone who is use to shooting so much closer. congrats and thanks for sharing. glad you had a good time and made it home safely.

Wow, that is some serious main beam length. Congratulations on getting such a nice buck after all the hard work.

Congrats on the Deer!!! Great job. Hope to see ya'll at the banquet again next month.

Kathi

Awesome, Eileen!!! VERY glad you had a great experience! Great pictures and write-up, too!

Thanks for sharing with all of us!

S.

:)

I'm so glad you surrendered and got one with a rifle, there is no shame in that. You could of sat that blind forever with no guarantee. That is an awesome buck for sure. I'm sorry, I have to ask, how long are those main beams? Looks like if they curled in, they would overlap!

Awesome deer, congrats!

I have to ask, how long are those main beams? Looks like if they curled in, they would overlap!

Awesome deer, congrats!

I honestly do not know, I don't know how to measure antlers. Maybe when I see Amanda at the Women's Javi Hunt she can measure it for me! :)

Thanks everyone!!!

Congrats on a nice buck! Love those main beams!