Sign in to follow this  
apache12

Best choice for hunting/field sidearm

Want to buy a pistol/revolver for use in the field while hunting scouting hiking, whatever. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestion. I don't want to spend more than $500 new/used. I most likely wont go out and target shoot the pistol I really want it simply for defense. I want something that is relaiable when it gets wet or dirty while I'm on the ground glassing or moving through brush. And something light. I've thought about the new Ruger LCR snub nose and it actually fits pretty well in my hand, but my concern is the range of accuracy. I like that a revolver is going to be reliabel though. I think a small semi auto will have a little more range but I'd had to have a mal function because it's go dirty on a long hunt or scout trip.

anyway, just hoping for some opinions.

Thanks

For reliability in an auto I would tell you H&K but your not wanting to spend that much (though they never really seem to lose value). I know a lot of guys use the Glock 30, but after range time I think the Springfield XD or XD sub compact in .40 will be my next pistol if I don't end up going with the H&K. You can find Springfield in that $500 range

I recommend going to a place like Caswells in mesa and trying all the ones you might like out and find what feels right for you

I would suggest either glock 23 (40 cal) or a compact XD40.

Let me put it this way... I did TONS of research, shot quite a few pistols, and decided on the compact, 4" service model XD-40 as my side arm of choice and I trust it with my life... I carry a HK P2000 at work, but givin the chance I would trade it in for my XD in a heartbeat. I trust my life on that gun and it has never ever let me down and I have used it on called head shots on jack rabbits out to 75-80 yards.

I'm looking for a semi-auto pistol myself, my revolvers all get too heavy after a while. May want to give J&G out of Prescott a look, heard they have H&K service pistols for sale now, these were turned in by LEO's.

i'd get a .22 or .22 mag. ammo is a lot cheaper and they are a lot more fun to shoot. you'll use it a lot more just having fun, than you ever will to get out of a jam. get a 4 inch ruger mark II if you want an auto. a single six if you want a single action revolver or maybe a taurus if you want a double action. and a .22, especially a .22 mag, is very deadly for self defense and a lot easier to get decent with as far accuracy. and the guy you shoot with it won't think that just because it's a .22 it won't hurt. ya don't really need earplugs if you have to shoot at something either. somebody makes a .22 mag auto now that holds 30 rounds, but you can't find one anywhere. i'd love to have one. Lark.

• Like 1

I take out my Springfiled XD 40 cal for my deer/elk hunts, my FNP 9 mm for my pig hunts and my Walther P22 for my quail hunts. I absolutely love the XD though, but all of them shoot really well.

Get one of these and you will kill anything from gophers to Bigfoot......If you run out of bullets it makes a great club too. :lol:

DCP00819-1.jpg

Actually I carry my Springfield xd-45 tactical on every hunt.

Guest akaspecials

Right now I carry a Glock 30 and I hate it. It's reliable, accurate, and powerful enough; but it lacks enough safety's for me to be comfortable carrying with one in the chamber while out hunting.

If I were you I would go with a snub nose .357 mag or .44 mag (this is what I decided to upgrade too as soon as I sell that G30.) I decided on this because they have knockdown power, are relatively light weight, and are easy to conceal.

Also, you mentioned you were worried about range of accuracy with the LCR. If you don't shoot much you won't be accurate past 20 yards with any pistol, especially if you're being rushed and firing quickly. That LCR in .357 mag would do you fine in any situation short of a grizzly...

I carry one of two sidearms depending on where I am going.

Most of the time, an HK USP45 is the weapon of choice. It is light (for me) and totally reliable ... never ever had a problem. Never matters ... wade through mud, water, roll in dirt, whatever. You click it and it goes BANG ... EVERY TIME. The testing on it was EXTREME to say the least when it was in development. It is, however, a bit more than $500.

Sometimes, when larger threats are about, I carry a Ruger Redhawk 5.5" .44 Magnum. It's big, but for a revolver not that heavy to me. It is accurate, and totally reliable. It'll take down just about anything SHORT OF BIGFOOT. It's just about the best .44 out there in my opinion.

i'd get a .22 or .22 mag. ammo is a lot cheaper and they are a lot more fun to shoot. you'll use it a lot more just having fun, than you ever will to get out of a jam. get a 4 inch ruger mark II if you want an auto. a single six if you want a single action revolver or maybe a taurus if you want a double action. and a .22, especially a .22 mag, is very deadly for self defense and a lot easier to get decent with as far accuracy. and the guy you shoot with it won't think that just because it's a .22 it won't hurt. ya don't really need earplugs if you have to shoot at something either. somebody makes a .22 mag auto now that holds 30 rounds, but you can't find one anywhere. i'd love to have one. Lark.

thanks Lark, I'm kinda leaning toward a revolver just for the reliability and I figure if I need it I'm going to be real close to whatever it is I'm shooting at. Ruger LCR has a knew 22 model. I guess my only hang up on a 22 or even a 38 snubby is if I stumble on a Sow with cub. Not sure that's going to be enough. Any thoughts?

Anyone have any thoughts on Kahr 45 or 40? Seems pretty small and enough power.

I carried an xd - 40 for a couple of years, nice pistol in a sub compact, lots of fire power. I carried it in a tactical holster and it always seemed to be in the way. I carry a ruger LCP in 380 now. Sacrificed some fire power but the LCp fits great on my badlands shoulder straps or hip belt.

I used to carry a glock 21 45 (pistol i ever bought) then it was stolen by some peice of &*it a$$ hole w#t Ba%k commie Bast*rd, My bask up is my dan wesson 1911. Beautiful expensive gun but accurate as anything. i like the ruger p89. its cheap and reliable. (I have 2) but as lark said, a 22 mag will drop whatever u want if u hit it right. I've said it in other posts and will say it again, lets stand 200 yards away, you with a 45, 9mm 40 cal, 357, 38, and me with whatever, and shoot eachother. BOTH OF US WILL DIE!!! its about how you shoot your gun.