Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

Jackson's Junior Buck

(as told by Pete, aka ishudbhuntin)

My grandson Jackson turned 11 during the summer and was hoping to draw a unit 33 juniors tag but was unsuccessful in doing so. He did draw an October regular season whitetail tag though. Jackson had killed his first Coues’ deer in 2010 and was learning to love hunting Coues’ along with his dad, my son-in-law. His dad was not as lucky and did not draw a tag this year.

Knowing good and well that hunting Coues means you sometimes have opportunities but they are usually longer shots than most people practice at. In 2010 for his first hunt we made several trips to the local range and shooting at 100 and 200 yards off a bipod. We even made a few trips to Three Points Rifle range where he could practice out to 500 meters. His mother and Aunt were on a junior shooting team at the ages of 12 and 10 and I knew firsthand that with practice and the correct rifle a youngster can shoot quite accurately out to 500 yards. After a couple more trips to the range this year I knew he was ready.

We set up camp the day before season and were busy glassing Thursday evening hoping to find a buck we might be able to find the following day. Seeing only does, we decided to get up really early opening morning and hike in by flashlight to another canyon where we could glass a little more remote area. After about an hour hike by flashlight Jackson, his dad and I finished our climb to the top of a hill just as the sky was beginning to get light. As the sun rose so did our anticipation of finding a decent buck but the few deer we were finding were does. Around 9:30 we finally glassed up a small two by. It was quite a ways off and farther than camp so we decided to pass and let him go. Besides, we had 3 days to find a better buck.

A little after noon my son-in-law thought we ought to go back to camp and just spend the evening glassing from nearby so we wouldn’t be faced with a long hike back by flashlight. The day has quite warm and sitting on top of the hill glassing half a day without any shade was taking it’s toll. I thought a cold Gatorade and snack would refresh all of us and out spirits as well.

After the long hike we reached camp around 3:30 and took a well deserved break in the shade of a canopy. Around 4 and feeling quite refreshed we grabbed our binoculars, tripods, rangefinder and rifle and walked about 100 yards from camp to a small vantage point where we could glass from for the evening. I even took my lounge chair to be really comfortable. Shortly after we began we were seeing does in a couple different locations coming out to feed but nothing with head gear. Finally around 4:30 I happened to look quite a ways off, on top of a small hill past the main ridge we were glassing and saw what appeared to be a head with a large set of antlers sky lined but with an ocotillo between us. Studying it further, I realized I was looking at a very nice buck that was bedded in the shade between an ocotillo and an oak tree with just his head and antlers visible to us. After my son-in-law located it I asked him to stay there and notify us if the buck had moved or not while Jackson and I made out way to the top of the ridge about 750 yards away. We hurried as much as we could but the last 350 yards was quite a steep climb and it took us longer than I had hoped. As we approached the top and out of breath I turned back to look at my son-in-law far below land he signaled the buck was still there bedded. We slowly climbed to the top of the ridge scanning the next hill for the oak tree and the buck’s location. We soon found it and he was still there. I set up my binoculars on the tripod to get a better look and decide what to do. The buck was bedded about 125 yards away and looking in the opposite direction. We quickly found a spot my grandson could lay down to shoot from. I crawled ahead breaking off grass stalks so the barrel of the rifle had a clear unobstructed view of the buck. Backing up even with Jackson I told him to find the tip of the buck’s ear which was sticking up with a sunny patch of grass behind it. I told him to come straight down into the gray area between the two ocotillo branches which seemed to frame the bucks vitals perfectly. I told him to let me know before he shoots but to go ahead as soon as he was ready. He said, “I see it and am ready, here goes”. When shot cracked, the buck tried to get up but he never made it to his feet and fell over immediately. One shot through both lungs with the 87 grain Hornady V Max and it was all over. We radio’d back to his dad the buck was down. His dad said he was watching the whole thing and saw the start to get up then fall over, he then heard the report of the rifle. It was almost dark by the time his dad made it up to us with the backpacks and camera. We took a couple pictures and then quartered, boned and caped it for mounting before heading back to camp for the evening. Our packs didn’t seem quite as heavy as they did in morning. Sitting around camp after dinner and recapping the days events was really enjoyable. Sharing times like these with loved ones, it just doesn’t get much better.

The buck green gross was 109 2/8 and net’s somewhere between 101 and 102. They are having the buck mounted as I told them it could possible be quite a while before he takes another animal as magnificent as this one.

JacksonDufekishubbhuntingjr.jpg

Thanks for posting the story for Pete, Doug! Nice re-cap of an apparently amazing hunt! What a great buck and what a great smile on Jackson's face!! :) :)

Said it before, and I'll say it again. There is absolutely NOTHING like hunting with kids!

S.

:)

WOW - that is GREAT! Congrats to Jackson on an outstanding trophy! unfortunately I think that might be the last big buck in that unit.

Way to go Jackson!

That is one beautiful buck and you will have a great time chasing a bigger one!

Much congratulations and welcome to big game hunting.

Nice to have you.

A great buck! and that smile says it all.

I jut love all these stories about youth having a great and successful hunts. What a nice buck. Congratulations Jackson!

WOW! Great story and Awesome Buck!!!! Way to get it done guys! Nothin like the joys of hunting with kids and new hunters!

Thanks for posting it Doug!

Lance