Sign in to follow this  
out2hunt

Pigs down!

post-1272-0-87427500-1330231292_thumb.jpgpost-1272-0-58811200-1330231268_thumb.jpgpost-1272-0-21613100-1330231206_thumb.jpgIs there a better time with your son in the field than chasing piggies?? In my opinion 2012's javi hunt will go down in history as one of the most memorable hunts I have ever been on. A comedy of errors began the morning, putting us on the hill at 930 am with a steady 10 mile an hour wind coming off the mesa's. Nothing moving my son gets bored and racks out for a couple hours while I tried desperately to locate a bedded pig. By 1130 we decided to hike into the wind and across a mesa to some canyons and by 1230 we had the fox pro screaming a jackrabbit in distress call. After a few missed shots at a fox we laughed and shook off the dismay of missing his first fox and decided to head back over to the ridges that held our year round water source. (We had located three different herds in october on the youth hunt in 17b and figured that this was sure thing if we drew the tags. ) After cresting the ridgetop and dropping onto the north facing slope I picked up the sun's glint off one of the pigs backs and knew we were in them. My son dropped down fifty more yards and put his ar-15 up, as he did this I noticed they were small ones so I told him to let them pass and wait for a good one. At this moment a large boar steps out of the opposite side of the brush and at 100 yards my 7 mag flips him right back into the brush and all heck breaks loose. % more boar charge out of the brush in all directions, one headed straight at Matthew snarlin and growlin full speed!!! My 12 year old decides to get with it at 10 feet and blasts the pig with the 223 in the chest and it wheels only to catch a second shot before running fifteen yards and piling up. post-1272-0-60953900-1330231037_thumb.jpg
  • Like 1

Another great story of father and son out hunting. I love seeing the kids have success. Nice pictures, Great story. Thanks for posting.

Thank you Guys so much for responding to our hunt. Matthew truly gets a kick out of reading the responses and knowing that their are others out there appreciating his memories and blessings. Many Blessings to all on the upcoming draws!!!

Nice! Your son will forever remember that day... awesome!

I read this a few days earlier and thought I replied. This was a good story and the pictures say it all. Congratulations to Matthew. Thanks for sharing his success. :)

TJ

Man you sure do have that right Got Coues! I will never forget these moments and really do cherish each minute I spend with Matthew.......Proud Papa here!