Sign in to follow this  
Flash

Wait for occasional December hunts or early hunts often?

I struggle every year on what to apply for. I love the extended hunt and opportunity to hunt part of the rut that the December tags bring you, but they don't come along very often, so I sit out a lot of years. The other side is forget the bonus points and go for the early hunts that you can draw more often but are shorter and harder to find the bucks. It's a hard toss up. I know there are other options like hit left over tags, but they are left over for a reason and I don't know those type of units as well as I would like. There is always OTC archery hunts, but I don't have the best success rate historically.

A little info on my particular dilemma , in the unit I hunt the bucks are on thick mountains and heavy cover except for the rut. They are in the unit still, but glassing isn't as effective at it is just really hard to do more than just find sign. I also hunt alone which is why I don't enjoy the border left over tags as much as I could. I have done them, but it is not as enjoyable of a hunt being a few miles packed in by yourself with all the interesting things going on in those areas.

So how do you look at this and know what to do?

You can usually pick up a left over tag for the early hunts and keep building points.

build points...and buy left over tags.

And scout more, you'll find bucks just gotta go out more and learn the areas your hunting

If you have time to scout October is the way to go, but the idea of only puting in for tough hunts, meaning December tags, is a good idea beacuse there are always good hunts left over and it is fun to learn new units while building points in the mean time.

I personally have been putting in for December tags and building up bonus points. The last two years I have not been drawn but I got left over tags. I have to agree that most of the left over tags no one wants. The funny thing is these units hold great deer, they just happen to be close to the border. I think that's why these tags are less desirable.

some units you can get dec tags every other year. early hunts are tough. best to stick with later hunts.

If you have the time to scout, I feel the earlier hunts are the best option. The bucks will usually be in the same general area that you found them while scouting, you usually have more time to get closer and set up on the bucks and the meet tasts a whole lot better than a rut buck.

as Rickki Bobby Dad said... "your first or last" same applies to hunts.

Tell you my story: I put in for atleast 20 years for 24B Decemeber WT 1st choice and finally drew it in 2010.

I usually succeeded in drawing my second or third choice one time even 5th choice. Taken a few nice bucks in 22, 23, 31, 32, hunted 4A, 6A, 33, 30B but nothing real trophy yet. For some reason I am still holding back for that one.

Low and behold Oct of 2010 I was diagnosed with stage 4 colorectal cancer and my Dec hunt went ka poof. I was fortunate to be able to glass everyday from my truck after my first surgery in Dec 2010 and finally hiked in 3-4 miles near last day and missed two shots at a nice one, and saw an even bigger one after I shot. Go figure! I am going to find their sheds here soon.

Last year I drew second choice in unit 22 for the 2011 early Oct hunt, saw some nice bucks but no shooters. It was hotter than heck but we had a blast glassing and hiking around.

I will tell you from experience it doesn't matter what unit you draw or what season you draw. Make the best of your time with family and friends cause you only get one opportunity to enjoy your life and the lives of others with memorable times. Like hunting.

Go for Dec 1st choice!

:D :D

• Like 1

I like the early hunts for the following reasons:

-Bucks are in bachelor groups, just need to find 1 and most likely you'll have your pick of 2 or 3 more with him

-The weather is nice

-Guaranteed tag, the whole family can draw tags

-When you find one, he won't move far, which makes for better stalking/relocating success

-No broken tines

-MUCH easier to pattern bucks

-It's not hard to locate bucks, when it's hot, glass the shade. When there's pressure, glass the un-pressured areas

The few things I like about Dec. hunts is the weather is usually cool enough to keep bucks active longer during the day and there typically is much less hunting pressure.

I think the December hunts are over rated for the most part. Now, if they would extend the December hunts into the first couple weeks of January....COUNT ME IN!!!

• Like 1

The good thing about an Oct. hunt is yes they won't move far from when you spotted them during the summer Make sure your the first one in there to get a shot at em though. Once huting pressure is present they can be hard to find.....oh and get away from the crowds.

I would still do Dec. first and second choice. and buy left over tags. There is always big boys that make it all season and come out of hiding.

Over the last five years I have noticed very declined rut activity in December in the units surrounding Tucson. In higher elevations there still seems to be some at the end of the month.

I think your question should be more geared to the particular unit that you are hunting. Some of the places with low deer densities have been very productive for me in December. My reasoning behind this is because of low deer numbers the bucks really have to travel and check specific does. I might have located four or five groups of does in a twenty square mile section. If there is a hint of rut I know the mature bucks are going to check those does versus high density areas where I don't think the bucks have to travel anywhere to even check if the rut is close. There are Probably 50 does within a quarter mile.

Lately I prefer the early hunts. Put in some serious scouting, find the buck you want, pattern him, be there waiting for the sun to come up in range of the buck and shoot him.

December tends to be more of a wishing hunt or get lucky in most cases, "I sure hope the big buck decides to come down and check these does in front of me!" Obviously you can still treat december the same as early hunts, but you never know if the buck you are after likes to chase does four miles down range. There is always the chance of losing that said deer vs knowing he has been here for the last month beds there, feeds here, type of deal.

Thats my 2 cents!

My philosophy is....if they are there in December.....they are there in October or November.

December hunts are nice, but I would rather play the odds of getting drawn.Especially now that G&F lowered the tag numbers on alot of December hunts.

My first time being drawn for a whitetail hunt was a December hunt. Hunted hard for a week. Found lots of does but no good bucks hanging with them. Hunted the same unit and area again on an October hunt, and took a nice 100" buck 15 minutes into the hunt. Not a monster, but a real nice buck.

IMO, in Southern Arizona:

October is hot but you can find bachelor bucks.

First November isn't much different other than maybe a little cooler temps.

Late November can have great weather. But some early winter storms can wreak havoc on a 7 day hunt.

Can't really go wrong with a December tag. I don't know if people are sick of the poor draw odds or what, but I think if we all had a choice, most would choose a December tag. Maybe they're "overrated" but hardly from a general hunting perspective. It's longer, weather is generally great (and if it's not, you have more days to work with) and you get to see some pre-rut activity. Who wouldn't want any of that!?!?! You can't look at the December hunt as a "rut hunt". Just look at it as more time in the field with generally AMAZING weather.