Sign in to follow this  
seek100plus

Hunting on TV

Ok , I'm about done with hunting deer and turkey on food plots , bear on bait , fishing on private ponds and lakes and WTH is with hunters still whispering, after they have found their harvested animal ! I was wondering if Sportsman channel is better then Outdoor Channel ?

I would give anything , to see high paid advertisement , sponser a Az random hunter to show how its done AZ style !

The Show Meat Eater does a great job on their hunts compared to the others. They have done a coues hunt in AZ and it was really good I thought.

seek,

I agree with you on this one. There aren't nearly enough shows about AZ style hunting on public lands. When I see one that's close I record it. I think Sportsman's Channel or Outdoor Channel are about the same. Too many shows about bumpkins hunting eastern whitetails and turkeys over feeders or foodplots, YAWN. Here's another side to consider though, if they made more shows about our type of hunting every bozo with a gun or a bow might want to do it. That could make our precious tags even harder to come by!

Lee

You want to see a knuckle head hunting show? Check out "Survive the hunt." An active duty SEAL tries to make archery and rifle hunts into "operations" where they have to survive (sleep on the ground, usually with "lions" all over the place) in order to "eliminate" the target, while out on "patrol" of the area.

It caught my attention because the guy was wearing Multicam, which I absolutely love as a camo pattern. But after I saw the boom mics, call signs, and "survival" tips they tossed out it became painful to watch. I respect the guy for what he is/was, but this show is so over the top its sickening.

Your host "Reaper01"

IMG_8014-2.jpg

The best show is on sportsman channel. ON YOUR OWN ADVENTURES All hunts are unguided and on public land.

• Like 1

Bass, I think that show be cool if he was a sniper with 338 lupula and he had a spotter , 3/4 to mile shots

That would be a lot more entertaining! heck, he could pair up with Huskemaw scopes for all I care!

The best show is on sportsman channel. ON YOUR OWN ADVENTURES All hunts are unguided and on public land.

+1

Just remember that you DIY public land hunters out in these western mountains and deserts are the minority. You wouldn't believe the amount of people that hunt in midwestern and eastern states. I was blown away when I moved here and had a hard time actually finding people that hunted, especially in the valley. In MN, WI, MI, etc, EVERYONE hunts, and they hunt turkeys and eastern whiteys, over food plots if they're lucky enough to have 5 acres to plant one on. You guys are very fortunate to call this place home and be able to have endless public land at your disposal. I really enjoy the shows about western DIY hunts, or even guided ones, and change it in a hurry when they are teaching you how to plant clover with a quad, but I also keep in mind that the target audience out there unfortunately isn't us.

Just remember that you DIY public land hunters out in these western mountains and deserts are the minority. You wouldn't believe the amount of people that hunt in midwestern and eastern states. I was blown away when I moved here and had a hard time actually finding people that hunted, especially in the valley. In MN, WI, MI, etc, EVERYONE hunts, and they hunt turkeys and eastern whiteys, over food plots if they're lucky enough to have 5 acres to plant one on. You guys are very fortunate to call this place home and be able to have endless public land at your disposal. I really enjoy the shows about western DIY hunts, or even guided ones, and change it in a hurry when they are teaching you how to plant clover with a quad, but I also keep in mind that the target audience out there unfortunately isn't us.

Haven't watched one in several years, even though one of my clients contributes to Rinella's show. They are timed for the Eastern Time zone and I am not curious enough to program the Tivo to record the ones that seem like they might be worth a look...

Into the High Country with Jason Matzinger (on the Sportsmans channel). He's from Montana and does DIY hunts on public land (almost entirely). Best shows I have seen on tv... by far.

He did one where he came down to AZ for archery pig in January. Cold turkey.. traveled down and scouted as he hunted. Glassed up pigs on the last day of the hunt and was successful with a harvest.

There are a couple things that I love about his shows:

1) He doesn't rock you out with ACDC as he stalks. I hate watching hunting shows that pretend to be rock concerts.

2) He whispers when he needs to, and talks normal when he can

3) He films while glassing. I love seeing someone film the scenery and then pan into a located animal. Cant stand it when the animal suddenly appears and all the events leading up to the shot are neglected.

4) He backpacks in off the roads too...

Just my $0.02

yotebuster is correct IMO- being around students all day I found that a majority of those from the mid-west to the east coast has gone deer hunting before but those students who are local residents of Arizona do not even know there's 2 species of deer in Arizona let alone any deer.

In the mid-west/eastern US there's more folks that hunts or has gone hunting before than in Arizona

Plus I do not think a camera-man would want to hike miles with the heavy equipment in Arizona during the oct hunts!

Hunting TVs seems rather popular around Flagstaff. One can go to any cinder pit and see the dead TV carcases. I wish some would be charged for wanton waste of TV dinners though.

It would be nice if they would take the deer haulters off the mideastern whitetail bucks sometimes before they filmed it.

:lol: