Sign in to follow this  
Hunter4Life09

New rifle

Ok guys I just bought a 300wsm and I'm thinking about using it for whitetail this year an leaving the 25-06 in the cabinet, but I'm not to sure what grain of bullet to use in the 300wsm I don't want to use anything to big for coues deer any suggestions

Do you handload or shoot factory? I have tried several handloads in my .300 WSM and finally decided on 165 gr Nosler Accubonds as my go to bullet for everything in AZ.

For what its worth I shoot cwt with a 300wm. I use a 180nosler accubond. I use them mostly cause my gun loves the and I can keep it simple

One gun one load. As far as damage its always a clean pass Thu with very little unnecessary trauma to the meat.

Unless you purely want more horse power, there is no need to leave the 25-06 at home. The .25 caliber is awesome for our coues deer. I shoot a .257 wby mag which is just a 25-06 on steroids. I have killed 2 coues deer past 525 yards with it. Shoot a good bullet, like a 100 ttsx or a 110 accubond from that 25-06 and you will see deer die quickly.

IF you do want to shoot the 300 wsm, I would look at something in the 150 grain area, or a 168 ttsx. I used my 300 wsm in Africa with a 168 ttsx and it was dynamite. I shot several animals that are or near coues deer size and none of them went far. Bush buck, springbok, 2 impalas, all dead right there. Mountain reedbok made it about 75 yards.

If you dont reload your self, Id be happy to do it for you.

my 300 wsm likes the 168 ttsx, they shoot really well

Unless you purely want more horse power, there is no need to leave the 25-06 at home. The .25 caliber is awesome for our coues deer. I shoot a .257 wby mag which is just a 25-06 on steroids. I have killed 2 coues deer past 525 yards with it. Shoot a good bullet, like a 100 ttsx or a 110 accubond from that 25-06 and you will see deer die quickly.

IF you do want to shoot the 300 wsm, I would look at something in the 150 grain area, or a 168 ttsx. I used my 300 wsm in Africa with a 168 ttsx and it was dynamite. I shot several animals that are or near coues deer size and none of them went far. Bush buck, springbok, 2 impalas, all dead right there. Mountain reedbok made it about 75 yards.

If you dont reload your self, Id be happy to do it for you.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm just curious what your loads/stats are for your .257 wby rounds. I shoot the same caliber using the accubonds. I'm pleased with the accuracy, but I've been thinking of trying out the TTSX because I have liked how they've performed in other calibers. PM me if you'd rather not put specific recipes on a public place.

I've been using the 300wsm for the last few years. I love it. I only shoot Federal Fusion 165gr. I have never had an animal take one step, even beyond 300 yards.I'll never shoot anything else. Good luck, I'm sure you'll love the rifle.

• Like 1

for deer size game , in my 30 cals I always liked 150 - 165 grain bullets . If I was going for something bigger like elk , I would look to 180 - 200 grain bullets as long as I could get an acceptable group ; some rifles may show a preferance for certain kind or size bullet , in that case I would go with most accurate . Last few years if I shot factory they were hornadys but everybody has thier favorites .

Thanks for the information my grandpa and I do reload a lot I just have to pick up some dies for the 300wsm I just did not want to end up blowin a deer up

I've been using the 300wsm for the last few years. I love it. I only shoot Federal Fusion 165gr. I have never had an animal take one step, even beyond 300 yards.I'll never shoot anything else. Good luck, I'm sure you'll love the rifle.

The Fusions were the most accurate factory load in my Kimber 300WSM. It would be a good bullet for Coues.

I just did not want to end up blowin a deer up

Then avoid the Berger VLDs and Nosler Ballistic Tips. In my experience they shoot really well but they act like grenades on Coues deer.

If you are going to buy new dies go for the Reddings over RCBS...I sold my RCBS and got some Reddings and they are much easier to use. My Tikka .300WSM likes R22 and IMR4350, I'd start at 60 grains and work up but 62-62.5 grains of either powder seems to be the sweet spot for me with 150-180 grain bullets.

I shot mine two years ago at 120yds with my .300 wsm with 150gr sierra hand loads. I personally wouldn't go any bigger than that. My coues was broadside and the round took him completely off the ground and flipped him. I'm actually looking into a smaller rifle for coues, after the damage too mine, I feel it really is too much. I'll stick to using it for elk.

Here is 30 cal 210 VLD exit hole, about a 1 1/2". Just over 500 yards

post-2686-0-64074000-1336195362_thumb.png

Smoke that wt with a 180 gr accubond! Im in to reloading and it's fun to hypothesize about the optimal bullet weight as to not waste an ounce of meat...blah, blah, blah. IMO, killing a deer cleanly in one shot is much more humane than trying to pussyfoot the minimum bullet weight as to not waste half a bite of meat. Respect the game by knocking its lights out in one shot. Shooting a 300WSM is expensive no matter which bullet you use. And I know a lot of people will disagree with this, but my thought is find a heavy bullet that you can shoot with confidence and use it for everything from pigs to elk. That round shoots flat for a while and it will serve your purpose out to 500yds+ all day long. I've said this before on this forum, but i've used a 180 grain 300WSM accubond on pig, javelina, antelope, deer and elk and notta one took a step after being hit. That's the goal right?!