Sign in to follow this  
naturegirl

Bear defense

Way more accurate? Look at the most used gun in pistol matches, its a glock. The 1911 is not the worst gun ever, however, the springfield 1911 i owned was the worst pistol

I have ever owned. Jammed like crazy and takedown just takes too long.

When comparing pistols i compare them all to each other. The glock comes out on top in all categories. There are pistols now that resemble glock (xd) and are just as good. The 1911 is outdated but still fun to shoot and a cool piece of history.

I definitely would not say the 1911 is the worst gun ever. In fact the 1911 is going to be way more accurate then the glock. The glock is a good gun but i wouldn't compare the two to each other.

+1

I am personaly way more accurate with my 1911. I have shot the the glock more than my 1911, and still find the 1911 more desirable. Even ask Cabelas techno shoot guys, I had to shoot around the hostage and hit the bad guy in the head! Anybody else do this shoot out a few weeks back?

last year on the Pacheco fire we camped in Borriego Canyon, one night the Div Sup felt eyes on her, she opened hers and was face to face with a black bear, she screamed and the bear hauled butt. Next night she slept in the middle of the group not on the edge by the trail.

One of the Pleasant Valley Shots had an encounter with a bear on the Horseshoe II, felt someone tugging on the end of his sleeping bag, thought it was a crew member so he swatted at him, the bear swatted him back and rolled him down the hill.

about the guns discussion, i never shot a 1911 springfield but i have a glock 22 and i must tell you is the best gun i ever had, it never jams.

it is plastic i agree but has to be a reason why police and FBI carries glock.

i think it is about like and opinion what gun is better, you can argue for years and never agree, is like politics.

my humble opinion.

When living in ID I bow hunted in grizzly country and carried an XD45. To be honest, now I don't carry anything, I have had 2 close calls with bears, both in 7E and in both situations, we both wanted to just get away from each other, Even in ID, I just never had a big problem. For whatever reason, lions don't concern me all that much, I really don't think one would ever consider me @ 200 lbs as a menu item and anyone who has hiked with me will tell you that the chances of me surprising one are about as good as the odds of me getting struck by lightening and winning the lottery on the same day.

I have never owned a Glock, so I don't know the difference. But when I worked for Blackhawk, we manufactured way more Glock holsters, than 1911's.

Here is a video of an AZ highways photographer using the can of bear spray I gave her just in case she had a close encounter while trying to photograph some bears.

http://www.coueswhit..._spray_clip.wmv

I probably would have sprayed that bear a lot sooner! :wacko: It looked like it was more than enough to deter the bear from coming any closer!

There really was no reason to spray that bear. All the guy had to do was stand up, and I bet the bear would have high tailed it out of there.The bear was not in an agressive mode, but curious.

I seen this video a while back. Probably on here somewhere. That had to be some heart pounding experience for both of them. Thanks for sharing Amanda. :)

TJ

There really was no reason to spray that bear. All the guy had to do was stand up, and I bet the bear would have high tailed it out of there.The bear was not in an agressive mode, but curious.

I agree, Snapshot. I'm absolutely NO expert, but it seems to me that if she would have simply stood-up earlier in the encounter and waved her arms and yelled, that the bear likely would have moved-off. Didn't seem agressive at all, mainly curious.

That being said, it is interesting footage..... ;)

S.

:)

John Moses browning was a great inventor. Probably the greatest firearms inventor ever! He was over 100 years ahead of his time. His greatest and most famous firearm was a 1911. Note, he invented this over 100 years ago and there has not been a more accurate and reliable handgun made since the 1911. (if the 1911 is made by someone that understands the engineering of this firearm). When built properly, the 1911 is capable of sub 1" groups @ 50 yards and can reliably shoot 10 000 + rounds, with minimal cleaning and no parts replacement, without any malfunctions. I know many people that have more than 50 000 rounds through their 1911. Triggers can be set at under 2lbs, with almost no pretravel and over travel. (Try this with a Austrian milk cup).

Cut rifled barrels are capable of shooting many types of bullets such as lead, copper jacket, copper plated, bronze, molycoated etc.....where polygon rifling limits you to jacketed bullets. Plated, lead & molycoated bullets will tumble and shoot very inaccurately in polygon rifling. The shorter polygon barrels will not stabilize plated bullets.

The 22 degree grip angle of the milk cup is designed for one handed sissified shooting, where the 15 degree grip angle of the 1911 is better suited for fast accurate two handed shooting. On a less aggressive note regarding the Glock. They are fine weapons for the price and if you do not shoot much and don't care about accuracy, then by all means, go buy a non American bullet launcher. But since the 1911 is the handgun our military used in the 1st WW, the 2nd WW, the Vietnam war, the Korean War and is still the #1 choice today for special forces, Delta, Seals (pretty much anybody that has been trained and knows how to shoot well) then I will make mine a 1911. Police do not use it because they do not shoot enough to remember to engage the external thumb safety and therefore can cause a dangerous situation. Isn't it wonderful that we can all post our opinions on certain products and still remain friends.

I hope I am still friends with everybody on here. My Dad was the National USPSA, and World IPSC champion and he used a 1911, ( one that he built himself)

So thats one thing I am very passionate about :D Also, I am not saying that Springfield is the best 1911 out there, actually my dads guns are if yall are interested in ordering one pm me :P

I hope I am still friends with everybody on here. My Dad was the National USPSA, and World IPSC champion and he used a 1911, ( one that he built himself)

So thats one thing I am very passionate about :D Also, I am not saying that Springfield is the best 1911 out there, actually my dads guns are if yall are interested in ordering one pm me :P

No doubt about it. The 1911 is probably the best semi-auto ever made. In all its variations. Just look at what all the comp shooters use. A customized 1911 is a thing of beauty, and an accurate, lethal, firearm. It's probably just not as popular in certain circles as it used to be.

When I was working for Blackhawk in Bozeman over the winter in 2010-2011, I ran the injection molding machines that made made the plastic pistol holsters and accessories. We did just not receive as many 1911 orders as many of the others, but we still made a bunch. During my 6 months there, I probably made 25,000 holsters of various design.

A 1911 holds its place in history. No longer a preferred weapon of any police dept or military. Too limited of magazine, difficult to breakdown, jams easily. You can love them all you want, glock, sig, beretta have all taken the place of 1911 in every aspect. The 1911 is more prone to jam than glock or sig. That and the limited mag is why police dont use them.

Way more accurate? Look at the most used gun in pistol matches, its a glock. The 1911 is not the worst gun ever, however, the springfield 1911 i owned was the worst pistol

I have ever owned. Jammed like crazy and takedown just takes too long.

When comparing pistols i compare them all to each other. The glock comes out on top in all categories. There are pistols now that resemble glock (xd) and are just as good. The 1911 is outdated but still fun to shoot and a cool piece of history.

bet you can't do this with your glock...

back to the topic...