Sign in to follow this  
Brian27

AZGFD giving out draw lists?

Ok, so I got my Bull Elk tag for unit 10. Wooohooo!! I am now getting advertising in the mail like the Elk Hunter Magazine and companies selling maps and such. I don't mind the advertising because it is relevant but I have this little feeling in the back of my head that says “What gives the AZGFD the right to sell or give out my information."

What do you all think?

I also received advertisements after I drew a bull tag about 5 yrs ago. I really didnt mind the advertisements as long as it had to do with hunting. I received a bunch about butchers and lodging.

They dont give them out these companies have to pay for them. Because its gov they can not withhold however they can charge for the info.

It would be nice to have the option to opt out of this. It would also save the outfitters and guides uneccessary postage fees for mailing the flyers to those that know for sure they are not using the service. Should be a win win I would think.

I'm not sure exactly how I feel about this. Does the azgfd have the right to let these business have our address? :(

TJ

Not only that tj, but i'm suet they maker money off of it as well.

Kind of crazy, especially they or social security numbers

I got these as well for my bull tag later this year. So G&F makes money on our tages, app fees and then again selling my information to companies??? Sounds like I should get a royalty for that....it's my information.

Anyone know any good lawyers?? :D

It doesnt make me mad or anything I just don't think it seems like something they should do.

Not only that tj, but i'm suet they maker money off of it as well.

Kind of crazy, especially they or social security numbers

Good point on the SS numbers. Im curious to know just how much information is given out? My dad and I have the same name and use the same address, and we only get one copy of flyers/invites even though we both draw, someone has to be checking the info before they send things out, otherwise we'd be getting dupes.

How long has this been going on? I remember getting things for my junior hunts, but has this been occuring for years? 80s? 70's?

SS numbers are not given out. Only names, addresses and hunt #'s are sold to these businesses. The reason some might get a flier or brochure but others on the same app dont is purely based on WHO the business wants to solicit to. It's probably all speculation on which hunt or hunter increases their chances of booking.

I've received these in the mail as well. I also get adds to Peter Piper Pizza. I don't eat there but I understand that someone who paid for that brochure or advertisement is just trying to put food on their table just like I am.

Most of these outfitters are trying to capitalize on every opportunity to book a client. Just try to see it from their point of view as your employer might do the same with "annoying advertisements" that they paid for and easily purchased the same personal information.

I'm not really sure about this, but I believe I've heard before that some of AGF's draw information is subject to freedom of information requests, requests that anybody can make to the government.

Of course, personally identifiable information is never included in these kinds of requests (SS#). I would hope that they aren't selling lists to guides and such either!

I'm not really sure about this, but I believe I've heard before that some of AGF's draw information is subject to freedom of information requests, requests that anybody can make to the government.

Of course, personally identifiable information is never included in these kinds of requests (SS#). I would hope that they aren't selling lists to guides and such either!

Yep....pretty sure it's a freedom of information thing. I got a bunch when I drew archery bull in 27. This year I drew cow and haven't gotten a single solicitation! :D