Sign in to follow this  
naturegirl

trail camera placement questions

I spent a good part of last weekend reading most every post on trail cameras. I'm looking for ideas to help decrease the chance of theft. #1 don't put on water by roads seems to be around the top of the list along with staying away from well-used roads. #2 lock em down as best as u can to keep the "honest " thieves away. #3 I'd also like to reinforce the bear boxes we have.

I don't personally think it's an option for me to put surveillance cameras watching the game cameras.

.I was thinking about hanging them up in trees facing downward.. Idk why I never thought of this before reading all the posts. it sounds like this would work better in pine country versus desert.

I'm wondering if anyone has any pointers or suggestions you'd like to share that has helped you to keep your cameras safe. feel free to PM if u like.

this whole subject is disheartening.Even G&F get their cameras stolen. I do understand the risks, but I really enjoy seeing all the pics I get on camera. I love the surprise of seeing what types of animals come in but I don't love not knowimg everytime I go to check cards whether or not my camera will be there.

thanks in advance!

My cams are put at places that most hunters can and do find. All of my cams are locked down with boxes that I made (very heavy) "knock on wood" none have been taken yet, but you won't ever get that worry out of your head. Do the best, with the best you can afford and hopefully it won't get stolen.

post-5396-0-45334000-1339653894_thumb.jpg

If someone wants them, they will get them no matter how well its locked up. I'm hoping tomorrow when I finally get to go check one of mine that its still there after 2 1/2 months.

I have been putting cameras out for years and have never locked them. Anyone can and have looked at my sd cards. I have had one stolen over 15 years. I think that's pretty good. However, I suggest you lock yours up in anyway you can to prevent someone from walking off with it. Now that I've purchased more expensive cameras I will lock them.

Your idea of hanging them up high is an excellent idea. You got to have a ladder or climbing stick to do so but the extra work will defiinitely help. Good luck keeping your cameras safe. :)

TJ

My cams are put at places that most hunters can and do find. All of my cams are locked down with boxes that I made (very heavy) "knock on wood" none have been taken yet, but you won't ever get that worry out of your head. Do the best, with the best you can afford and hopefully it won't get stolen. post-5396-0-45334000-1339653894_thumb.jpg

I wouldnt worry about the camera in that box!!! Someone may steel it and take it to the scrap dealer .Is that 12ga steel ?

Maybe put some salt out aways from water but close enough that the animals coming to the water will hit your salt. Off of a game trail or just where someone may not stumble into them. Thats my plan for elk this year anyways.It's a shame we have to worry so much about it. Goodluck!

My cams are put at places that most hunters can and do find. All of my cams are locked down with boxes that I made (very heavy) "knock on wood" none have been taken yet, but you won't ever get that worry out of your head. Do the best, with the best you can afford and hopefully it won't get stolen. post-5396-0-45334000-1339653894_thumb.jpg

I wouldnt worry about the camera in that box!!! Someone may steel it and take it to the scrap dealer .Is that 12ga steel ?

Yes it is. The box weighs about 25 lbs.

I am using a little step stool that folds flat and ties to my pack. When its mounted they will have to figure out how to get it if they see it!

Ive put my camera s on travel routes to water the closest site is 1/4 mile from water and the furthest is 1 mile , chances are your gonna be competeing with others for water holes so catch the animals before the water . i ve placed salt pellets in certain areas and covered em and after couple weeks you ll know which ones are bein hit . i ve made a couple boxes out of some scraps should work .

post-3346-0-92545700-1339729035_thumb.jpg

I believe in building the strongest box possible for trail cams. I've never had one stolen, knock on wood, but a little garage time, some scrap steel, a good welder, and a dose of ingenuity can go a long way toward keeping cameras safe.

post-478-0-80506400-1339743487_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-89532800-1339743534_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-68360400-1339743557_thumb.jpg

Another style...

post-478-0-16880400-1339743678_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-89826700-1339743753_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-98165500-1339743807_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-09542100-1339743828_thumb.jpg

Give a redneck some scrap steel from a worn-out or unused treadmill, a mig welder and a problem to solve...I haven't lost a camera to thieves yet, but if I finally do, they are hauling out a chunk of tree and going to work with a cut-off blade.

Lag the box to the tree (the tree will be OK), keep the soft parts of the lock under steel at an angle they can't bite if off. If they carry a cordless grinder with a cutoff wheel, the'll take it. But they'll have to earn it.

• Like 1

Nice I like the boxes you made Coach

I believe in building the strongest box possible for trail cams. I've never had one stolen, knock on wood, but a little garage time, some scrap steel, a good welder, and a dose of ingenuity can go a long way toward keeping cameras safe.

post-478-0-80506400-1339743487_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-89532800-1339743534_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-68360400-1339743557_thumb.jpg

Another style...

post-478-0-16880400-1339743678_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-89826700-1339743753_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-98165500-1339743807_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-09542100-1339743828_thumb.jpg

Give a redneck some scrap steel from a worn-out or unused treadmill, a mig welder and a problem to solve...I haven't lost a camera to thieves yet, but if I finally do, they are hauling out a chunk of tree and going to work with a cut-off blade.

Lag the box to the tree (the tree will be OK), keep the soft parts of the lock under steel at an angle they can't bite if off. If they carry a cordless grinder with a cutoff wheel, the'll take it. But they'll have to earn it.

Very nice and strong looking boxes. What are you using for your pins and sleeves in place of hindges? Also is that (angle) bracket on the back of your seconed box removable? If not, how do you lag it to the trees? I really like the seconed box and how you could put it high up a tree.

Thanks,

Put off the beaten path and not on water holes and tanks. You wot get as photos, but you probably wont have as many problems either.

I had mine put out last year noth of Young, with a HD lock box, python cable and a solar panel. Someone told me a guide had cut my solor panel and spray painted my lense with black paint. Ruined a $280 camera!

They may not agree with this tool but I don't agree with everything they do either but atleast I do not bother them!

Good luck.

Do the Python cable locks work ?

If you build a steel box, and attach it with a Python lock ?