Sign in to follow this  
Willyhunts2

3rd bear attack

Just got an email that there was a 3rd bear attack and was in ponderosa campground again. It said the person attacked was hurt pretty bad With bad head and face injuries and flown by helicopter to a hospital in the valley. This email was from the fire chief of whispering pines fire distric. Anyone else hear anything more about it?

sounds like they need to eradicate the problem bear. im assuming they will call in someonw with dogs. hope it's just one and hopefully people weren't feeding it. once at Woods Canyon Lake we saw some guy with his toddler feeding a bear fish. definitely not a good idea for the humans well being or the bears.

They need to extend a personal invitation to all the unit 22 spring archery bear tag holders to come and hunt near the campgrounds.

• Like 2

Wow! They really need to catch that bear. Sounds like it should be easy to find that bear....just set up a tent and fall asleep in that campground.....

Hope one's not offering to be the "bait"

Kidso that is exactly what I was thinking ha. My tag still needs to be wrapped around a leg. Kind of hard to hunt when all the areas I have been hunting are closed.

Wow! They really need to catch that bear. Sounds like it should be easy to find that bear....just set up a tent and fall asleep in that campground.....

Hope one's not offering to be the "bait"

I'll be the bait with my 12 guage.

Just saw on the news game and fish shot a boar and sow and sending DNA samples to Wyoming to see if either bear was involved with any of the attacks.

You have to love the ethics of Game and Fish ...kill first and ask questions later. They obviously treed the bears with hounds. Couldn't they just have knocked them out with a little anesthesia and kept the bears in their infamous culvert traps until the DNA analysis was complete? And VERY inefficient and untimely ---sending the samples out to Wyoming. What a joke! As if we, the State of Arizona can not perform that procedure? Any grad student in biochemistry at ASU could have amplified that DNA and analyzed it using electrophoresis in 24 hours. Such a standard and easy procedure.

Just saw on the news game and fish shot a boar and sow and sending DNA samples to Wyoming to see if either bear was involved with any of the attacks.

You have to love the ethics of Game and Fish ...kill first and ask questions later. They obviously treed the bears with hounds. Couldn't they just have knocked them out with a little anesthesia and kept the bears in their infamous culvert traps until the DNA analysis was complete? And VERY inefficient and untimely ---sending the samples out to Wyoming. What a joke! As if we, the State of Arizona can not perform that procedure? Any grad student in biochemistry at ASU could have amplified that DNA and analyzed it using electrophoresis in 24 hours. Such a standard and easy procedure.

My 14 year old sister in law could probably change the brakes on my car too, but I'd rather pay a professional to make sure it's done efficiently and correctly. The lab in Wyoming processes nearly all the DNA related to bear attacks in the United States. They know what they're doing, and they put a rush on this type of request. Not only that, I'm sure the various wildlife agencies (both state and federal) fund it with some sort of cost sharing agreement.

As for inviting a sportsman to harvest a problem bear, the Department does do that on ocassion, but NEVER when there has been an active mauling or where there is a high probability of disease.