Sign in to follow this  
Redman

Sunflower Fire...how it started

I kind of felt sorry for him at first. Thinking how many times I have gone out to the desert to shoot and seeing (especially at night) a shower of sparks fly off something metal that was hidden or buried in the dirt you had no idea was there or gettng a tracer from a class mixed into a tub of 5.56 and not catching the colored tip. But according to the report he was shooting that dang dragons breath crap. Seriously?

Yeah, they used a picture of him on the news that showed him with a buck he had shot.....looked like a coues. He's got to be a member on here. Shooting the dragons breath round, in AZ with so many other fire going on right now, makes you wonder what on earth he was thinking. Just sad.

These are the guys me and my buddy stopped that morning and got there plate number. Glad to see the investigation ended with an arrest.

I'm sure he'd prefer a kick in the nuts instead of what's ahead. Probably hasn't had much sleep since that morning.

• Like 4

We saw them from a vantage point, at the scene when it first started. We waited for them to drive out and stopped them to find out what was going on. While I talked to the driver, my buddy got the plate number. They didn't stick around. We waited for the USFS to show up and gave them the info.

Will probably get off with a slap on the wrist like the guys who started the wallow fire.

Some people just don't get it. I was working the other day with a guy, and we had to modify a small metal storage to make it bigger. He gets out his grinder and starts showering sparks into the dry dead grass next to a condo with lots of dead, and dry vegetation around. He gave me a " WTF" look when I got out the garden hose and wet everything down. I aksed him if he had enough money to pay for a good lawyer, in the event he burned down the condo. Clueless!

I think back to all the really bad choices I've made in life. I'm grateful that most turned out to be lessons learned instead something much bigger and much worse.

My family and I along with close friends were camping at Crab Tree (Apache Lake) a little over a year ago. There were two young couples camped next to us who were doing their fair share of drinking. At some point, one of the guys decided to fire off a flare gun. First one dropped into Apache and the second landed up the hill about 250 yards from camp. I fire quickly broke out and EVERYONE was ordered to evacuate with our trailers and or camping gear as the fire grew in size. He certainly ruined our trip, but whatever happened to him was most likely pretty severe, as he was detained and arrested.

I'm under the understanding that all costs incurred are past onto the guilty party and they can't file bankruptcy. Is it true, they're wages can be garnished for life for these type events?

• Like 1

What I read was "Shiflet faces three charges, each of which carries a maximum penalty of six months in prison and a $5000 fine, if convicted.

I too got away with a lot at that age, which could have been a disaster. But I also learned some hard lessons and had to pay the price. This is one of those hard lessons. Thankfully, no one was seriously injured, or killed. No homes lost. I feel for the rancher though. He's a good man. He had a lot of cattle in there. Hopefully he didn't loose too many.

• Like 1