m77

Solution to Water Hole Problems/Confrontations

Ya, just joking. The website has been kind of boring lately so I thought I would try to get some excitement out of some of you. When my son and I hunt we always stack, glass, move, glass some more. If we know we are near a stock tank we try to stay far enough away as to not disturb anyone hunting it. We always enjoy putting the wind into our face, moving extremely slow, glassing and stacking. Those stinky, muddy, mosquito infested stock tanks suck. I do believe they should be left alone and not sat on, so the wildlife can use them undisturbed. Thanks for adding your two cents worth.

I keep trying to come up with a solution to the problems everyone has been having to water hole or stock tank hunting confrontations. Only thing I could come up with to solve this would be have the AZGFD make it illegal to hunt within a hundred yards of any named stock tank in AZ. Any other ideas? This would solve tree stand and ground blind disputes. It would also allow game to access water without disturbing arguing hunters. Sounds like a recommendation, doesn't it?

m77, I think it's great that you keep trying to come up with a solution to the problem you think everyone is having but respectfully so you aren't going to. I see you are 55 yrs old so I assume you haven't been in az very long or you just took up hunting not to long ago. The reason I say this is there was a time when you had to be 1/4 mile from an azgfd water catch but that got changed some time back so throw that game solving idea out the window. You are mistaken when you say everyone is having confrontations over treestands and ground blind disputes. I know lots of hunters, including myself, who have hardly ever been in or seen a confrontation. JLW's statement " so how you handle yourself says alot about you" is a good statement to remember when someone is in your treestand or ground blind.

Let me pass on what I've learned over the years from experience. First come first serve might not be perfect in all situations but it's as good as it's going to get. Many of the hunters who have disputes/confrontations usually bring it on themselves thru their knee jurk reaction to someone beating them to a spot. A handshake and introduction usually is all that's needed to avoid this. It won't work 100% of the time, because there are stupid people :huh: , but it has worked pretty good for me over the years. :)

TJ

• Like 1

On Sunday afternoon in 6B I went in to sit in my two man ladder stand that I packed 1 mile in off the road and at 3:30 in the afternoon there was another guy sitting in my stand and I could see a bull walking into the water hole 100 yards behind him!!! I was pissed off, seeing red, this guy is sitting in the 100lb stand that I packed in and about to shoot his elk right in front of me. So what did I do? Nothing, I quietly backed out and left the area because my wind was not good for the incoming bull and I didn't want to screw up the impostors chance. Even though I packed that dang thing all the way in myself. I hope someone would do the same for me. I would never sit in someone else's stand but I will hang one up right next to their's. You never know when someone is gonna shoot their animal opening day and not use the stand for the rest of the season. my 4 cents. Still bitter though.......

• Like 1

On Sunday afternoon in 6B I went in to sit in my two man ladder stand that I packed 1 mile in off the road and at 3:30 in the afternoon there was another guy sitting in my stand and I could see a bull walking into the water hole 100 yards behind him!!! I was pissed off, seeing red, this guy is sitting in the 100lb stand that I packed in and about to shoot his elk right in front of me. So what did I do? Nothing, I quietly backed out and left the area because my wind was not good for the incoming bull and I didn't want to screw up the impostors chance. Even though I packed that dang thing all the way in myself. I hope someone would do the same for me. I would never sit in someone else's stand but I will hang one up right next to there's. You never know when someone is gonna shoot their animal opening day and not use the stand for the rest of the season. my 4 cents. Still bitter though.......

Dude sitting in a another persons tree stand is so disrespectful. That's like getting into someone else's car while it's at the gas station. You come back from the teller and say get the heck out of my car what are you thinking?!?

On Sunday afternoon in 6B I went in to sit in my two man ladder stand that I packed 1 mile in off the road and at 3:30 in the afternoon there was another guy sitting in my stand and I could see a bull walking into the water hole 100 yards behind him!!! I was pissed off, seeing red, this guy is sitting in the 100lb stand that I packed in and about to shoot his elk right in front of me. So what did I do? Nothing, I quietly backed out and left the area because my wind was not good for the incoming bull and I didn't want to screw up the impostors chance. Even though I packed that dang thing all the way in myself. I hope someone would do the same for me. I would never sit in someone else's stand but I will hang one up right next to there's. You never know when someone is gonna shoot their animal opening day and not use the stand for the rest of the season. my 4 cents. Still bitter though.......

Good for you, glad you handled it that way but "first come first serve" DOES NOT include my treestand or blind that I bought! I take measure so that people cannot use my treestand. I will not sit in a treestand or blind that someone has not given me permission to do so!

All I can say is up in 9 talked to a warden, and he stated that he dresses like a hunter and just waits for someone to tell him this is their waterhole, then he writes them a ticket. He said it's his favorite thing to do, because these guides think they own the place up their! And no I'm not saying anything bad about guides either, just saying what he told us!

That is awesome. Can the wardens ticket the guys that leave the tree stands up also.........FOR LITTERING!!!!!! Carry them in and carry them out should be the law.

I have always had good luck by taking a nicely written sign in with me and placed it clearly where someone coming in to waterhole via road or trail(somewhere they can safely turn around)could see and read.we remove the sign every time we would leave also.This seems to work well for use.But all said first come first to hunt is the best ideal.

That is awesome. Can the wardens ticket the guys that leave the tree stands up also.........FOR LITTERING!!!!!! Carry them in and carry them out should be the law.

Man I honestly question if you are a hunter................

• Like 1

I have always had good luck by taking a nicely written sign in with me and placed it clearly where someone coming in to waterhole via road or trail(somewhere they can safely turn around)could see and read.we remove the sign every time we would leave also.This seems to work well for use.But all said first come first to hunt is the best ideal.

+1 on sign! I tried it years back and worked good. I stated that I was on back side of water hole hunting so please be aware. Quads would pull up, stop, then drive on by..

Wow, you guys need to step of the road a little ways. I seldom even see another hunter, let alone have a confrontation over a hunting spot.

Man I honestly question if you are a hunter................

Seriously m77??? Carry it in, set it up, take it down, and carry it out in the same day you plan to hunt. You might as well pee in every square inch of the area and bring a boom box to crank music all day cause you aren't going to see much in the way of game.

How many new laws are you looking to have added?

If you truly are joking, I think most (me included) don't find it funny. This sort of stuff shouldn't be joked around because helll who knows. Someone could see it, think its a good idea and push it! Then, site this thread saying YOU supported/created the idea!

If you truly are joking, I think most (me included) don't find it funny. This sort of stuff shouldn't be joked around because helll who knows. Someone could see it, think its a good idea and push it! Then, site this thread saying YOU supported/created the idea!

I say we NUKE this thread and this "alternative idea" look where America is at with all these "Alternative Ideas" there is no place for them.

• Like 1