Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

AR-15 Owners Step Inside

So Walmart is offering a few different rifles manufactured by the likes of DPMS, Sig Sauer and Colt and at least one other company.

Searching the internet I came across a post suggesting the Colt is made in China. I would like a M-16 but prices are too steep.

What are the differences between them? I have shot one before and am thinking about getting an AR (just to have).

They are basically all the same. The colt's are made out of a different metal then the DPMS, but you can interchange parts and they will still work. Buy what you like or what is in your price range.

My son and I both have an AR. We are building the next one ourselves. He got a stripped lower and I just bought a lower parts kit for it. Midway has complete DPMS uppers for $374 right now.

We should come in around 600 bucks on this one. I don't think you can wrong with what Walmart is offering. All 3 are good brand names.

For your purposes the DPMS will be okay, but if it were me buying I'd spend the extra coin on a Colt.

To clear some things up:

Searching the internet I came across a post suggesting the Colt is made in China.

Stop hanging out at m4carbine.net. A Chinese made AR would be a Norinco and non importable. ;)

They are basically all the same.

Not quite. Study this chart for a second:

080527-AR-Comparison-Chart.jpg

With the election looming you might have a hard time finding parts in stock, but by far the best deal is buying a stripped lower receiver, lower parts kit, and slapping an upper receiver on top and calling it good. As far as uppers go Colt, BCM, Spikes, PSA, and Daniel Defense and tier one. Palmetto State Armory (PSA) was recently running a deal where they were offering a complete M4 style carbine built to milspecs with back up iron sights and an Aimpoint red dot on top for $1000. A grand!

Rock River Arms builds a nice, tight mil-spec lower. Their 2-stage National Match trigger sets them apart from the ml-spec providers. A RRA lower with their trigger and the houge grip makes a really solid lower platform to put anything you want on top. I'd look for an E.R. Shaw upper. YHM has some great floated uppers with the shaw barrell.

• Like 1

One thing I noticed was the DPMS did not have the forward assist like the Colt did. Is there a big difference between gas or inertia systems other that having to clean the piston?

One thing I noticed was the DPMS did not have the forward assist like the Colt did. Is there a big difference between gas or inertia systems other that having to clean the piston?

It's most likely because that specific DPMS you were looking at was not mil spec. There lower end models don't have them. +1 on the rock rivers also! I have a colt and a rock river and i prefer the rock river trigger to the colt trigger. My only complaint about the rock river is the weight of it with the heavier barrel.

Call Jeff at Arizona Armory. He has his own uppers and lowers machined here in Az and can build you whatever you want at a great price. He built a left hand eject for me years ago and it shoots great. He even let me pick the parts I wanted and then ordered them for me. David

http://azarmory.net/

The DPMS without the forward assist at Wally World is the Sportical and it is actually a wonderful rifle to shoot. It isn't a Mil-Spec, but it would work very well for most varmint/target applications and it's under $600. If you save the cash, get an RRA or a Stag.

If you are in the phoenix area try out American Spirit Arms in Scottsdale. The rifle is made in Arizona by a company from Arizona. I went there and loved there products. Have an ar from them for over a year. And literally trust my life with it.

What type of AR to get depends on what you are going to use it for. I went thru this exact situation a few month's ago. I finally realized that I only wanted an AR, because they look cool and would be fun to shoot. Therefore I bought a Lower end (DPMS Sportacle) at a gun show for $500. I love the gun! It shoots perfectly, accurate and dependable. My kids think I'm cool for having one and it's a blast to shoot. I made the perfect choice for what I am using the gun for. You will need to decide what you will be using the gun for. If your just plinking. I woudl go with a DPMS or a medium priced gun. If your going to be competing with it or going into war with it, then I would buy a high end gun. Hope this helps!

Adam

What we should do is see if a group of us could work out a deal with a manufacturer and get a bulk rate on stripped lowers.

I think I have seen various ones for under $100.