Sign in to follow this  
Norteno

What kind of bear is this? Nutrioso, AZ

A coworker sent me this pic of a bear killed around Nutrioso, AZ. Thing is huge. Can it be part Grizzly, or just brown bear?

bear.jpg

Just a rusty colored black bear that is big.

Wow! That's a big bear. Interesting to know what it weighed and scores. I'd say its s black bear on steroids. Has some grizzly looking charscteristics.

I think that would be a bear that has eaten well. Glad I didnt run into that one I would have needed a bazooka.

It's a big brown-phase black bear that looks larger than it really is by posing the hunters behind the animal. Its short claws would give it away if we didn't know where it had been killed in Arizona.

Bill Quimby

• Like 2

I was in Nutri this past weekend. Many of my parent's neighbors were passing around this picture and talking about the big bear. Some are claiming that G and F have sent off some tissue to see if it is part grizzly. One story even claims it had been planted in AZ from Ted Turners ranch in New Mexico where he has grizzlies in a high fence area.

It is the buzz of the geriatric, dog walking circuit of Nutrioso. If you hang out at the post office for more than 10 minutes you are sure to hear about the local grizzly that was killed. I was treated a real buzz kill for suggesting it was just a big healthy color phase bear, fattened up on garbage (based on where it was reportedly taken), and a picture taken from an angle that made it look huge.

Congratulations to the hunter on taking one heck of a bear!

Well that area is not far from the last few Griz in Arizona. I saw one last year that I sure wondered about. It had a neck hump and Griz looking hair. And the claws were long and curved like it to. It was taken not far below Alpine. It's a beauty of a bear for sure.

Really doesnt look too big to me. Compare it to the rocks and foliage around it and it is just a normal to big sized black bear. Compare it to the kid and man sitting 3 feet behind it and it looks huge.

That is Darin Emerald, a guide out of Eager,Az. Emerald xtreme hunting experiances. He always has huge bear and lions out of Units 1 and 27!

Great bear for sure. I am getting kinda sick of people posing 5 feet behind there animals to make them look bigger. It seems like everyone is doing it and it makes it hard to tel the size of animal. What happen to the days of being proud to hold ur trophy? Not sit 5feet back from it to give the allusion .

• Like 2

It's a big brown-phase black bear that looks larger than it really is by posing the hunters behind the animal. Its short claws would give it away if we didn't know where it had been killed in Arizona.

Bill Quimby

+1 Nice bear but certainly not exceptional. I don't have a problem with the way people pose to make their harvests look bigger....I enjoy photography and the innovative things people are doing with their pictures.

Cinnamon phased Black Bear???

Looks just like one I saw yesterday afternoon in Torreon on the golf coarse. He went about 3 bills ... maybe a tad more.

Cinnamon phased Black Bear???

Looks just like one I saw yesterday afternoon in Torreon on the golf coarse. He went about 3 bills ... maybe a tad more.

Did you hit him with a ball or the nine iron?