Sign in to follow this  
hntnIwlgo

Last Day Elk

post-5057-0-43318100-1350794839_thumb.jpg

Hunted all week with Lance of Timberland Outfitters. Had a fine time! This is how it went a number of times throughout the hunt. Lance would step over a log. I would CLIMB OVER the same log!!! :) Turned down about a dozen spikes and raghorns. Hunted high and hunted low but the big guys must have moved WAY UP INTO THE PEAKS because we just couldn't find them. The biggest bull we saw was a 6x6 at 900 something yards uphill. We hoped he and his cows would move down but they stayed up top and went up over the ridge. Bummer! At another time as we were driving to a new location we saw a bull at a tank with two cows. In getting out of truck I immediately tripped over a rock and fell right to the ground. I was fine but wasn't quick enough to get on the bull for any shot. On the last two days of the hunt I told Lance I would like to change over to hunt for meat so I would take a spike or a raghorn. That eve I took a shot at a bull and missed!!!! No excuse. Just missed. I was not very pleased with myself. It should have been an easy shot. The last morning I was ready to take whatever legal elk I saw first and believe me I was determined I would not miss given another opportunity. The photo shows my bull I downed at about 7am. We believe it was the same bull I missed the eve before. I downed him at 9918 ft. elevation!!! I could only see pieces of him between the trees at about 130-140 yards uphill as Lance told me to shoot him. It was exciting and a new kind of hunting for me. I want to thank Lance for the great hunt. We'll get a BIG guy next time but soon I'll have some good eating on my table. I also want to thank my number one hunting buddy, my husband-Sam, for all the help and support he provided me before, during and after the hunt. Though he did ask me to promise him I would never hunt the peaks again. :)

The best hunts/most meaningful have always been when I took the longest and worked the hardest to get my trophy. It may be a little sick but I kind of like some of the emotional lows (missing a shot..not backing out when the wind changes..zigging when I should have zagged etc) becuase it makes it all the more sweet when you get it done! Great bull and I can tell that you really earned, both physically and emotionally, this trophy!

Nice bull! when you work hard and it pays off there no better feeling. Congrats.

Peg and I have been waiting patiently for this post to come out. Congratulations Deb on a nice bull. I'm sure you worked hard hunting around the peaks. It makes my knees hurt just looking at them. It's always nice to have someone like Sam helping with all the emotions one goes thru while hunting like getting up in the mornings after a hard day's hunt, moral support after a miss, or just someone to lean on when you're tired. That is a good husband my friend.There is no doubt he felt all your aches and pains as well. I'm sure you experienced lows and highs, as we all do, during your hunt but the main thing it ended on a high with this nice bull and lots of meat. You have had a great year of hunting so far this year Deb and thanks for sharing it with us. :)

TJ

Ugh... I've been up in some of that country and it is tough, tough hunting! Hats off to you, way to stick with it! You have had a spectacular year so far!!! Congratulations :)

Nice bull

Way to stick with it and get it done. Hunts rarely go perfectly (never, in my experience) and hopefully we are defined about how we regroup rather than how we retreat.

Very cool! Way to stay motivated and make a good shot!

If you don't fall atleast once in a hunt, your not walking enough! My dad and I always make sure to count the amount of times each of us fall, so don't feel bad about the fall, you still got it done! Great job!

What rifle/bullet combo were you using?

"What rifle/bullet combo were you using?"

7mm Remington Ultra Mag

140 gr Corelock Ultra Bonded

The best hunts/most meaningful have always been when I took the longest and worked the hardest to get my trophy. It may be a little sick but I kind of like some of the emotional lows (missing a shot..not backing out when the wind changes..zigging when I should have zagged etc) becuase it makes it all the more sweet when you get it done! Great bull and I can tell that you really earned, both physically and emotionally, this trophy!

+1!

Glad you got a nice bull!! Maybe you can bring some elk meat to the women's javelina hunt for our game dinner... :)