Sign in to follow this  
SunDevil

Not killing big bucks

The other topic got me thinking of something in the opposite direction. How about a topic on NOT killing big bucks. Here are some pictures of a big buck we passed on this last weekend. we estimated him at upper 90s.

when I came home over the weekend to do laundry, take a shower and go to church my 7 year old daughter asked me why I hadn't killed a deer yet. before I could answer my wife responded, "because we do not have any room in the freezer for it" (the freezer is full of elk meat).

when I saw this buck monday morning the first thing I thought of was that I did "not have any room in the freezer for it". fortunately for this buck he also had about 2 - 3 inches broke off from the tip of his left main beam. he also had short eye guards.

this buck was the luckiest buck on the mountain. he has no idea how close he came to taking a dirt nap.

I guess we are just trying to do our part to maintain/promote a sustainable big buck population/resource.

If anyone would have ever told me I would pass on a buck like this I would have told them they were CRAZY!

what do you think?

post-268-0-77144200-1351822001_thumb.jpg

post-268-0-84121200-1351822026_thumb.jpg

post-268-0-88043900-1351822052_thumb.jpg

It's tough to pass on a buck like that, especially towards the end of the hunt. I probably would have done the same as you, and passed him up. I live in my RV, and the freezer is about the size of a large shoebox. ;)

We hunters in Arizona already have the right to pass on a buck or harvest it if we choose. If one segment of the population wants to pass on small bucks and the other wants to harvest small bucks then I think they complement each other.

• Like 1

When it comes down to it, the big bucks I don't kill, are usaully the ones that outsmart me. So Iam not killing large or small bucks,,,,,,,,lets call it a wash.

If you want to jump start a unit into a big buck unit, have a spike only hunt for a year. One year will do wonders!

You wouldn't mind sharing where this Big Buck was would you? Nov30 is right around the corner for some of us. :D Although I already took a monstery muley this year I am still going out with my cousin to give him first shot at his first coues.

I think the biggest buck I have passed on was a 108 in mexico. But then I was looking to get a 110 or larger and we figured we could do it.

I think I have pic of him somewhere, or maybe video.

In Arizona, I will generally pass on bucks less than 100, but that's not always the case, as evidenced by me killing a 2 pt yesterday!

• Like 2

I forgot to mention that this was the 3rd year in a row we saw bucks bedded under the mesquite tree in the 3rd picture.

I think the biggest buck I have passed on was a 108 in mexico. But then I was looking to get a 110 or larger and we figured we could do it.

I think I have pic of him somewhere, or maybe video.

In Arizona, I will generally pass on bucks less than 100, but that's not always the case, as evidenced by me killing a 2 pt yesterday!

Let's see the pics!