Jo Hunter

.270 for ELK

im looking to consolodate some assests to buy a new all arund riffle and im wondering what everyones thoughts are on the .270.... i know its ok for AZ deer but what about ELK?

It will do the job.

Lot's of bullets will generally work, but picking the right elk bullet is probably more important than picking an elk cartridge.

Ya its perfect for elk everyone likes how flat it shoots, but if you don't like tracking elk id say 3-06 way to go you can use 165 orr 180 gr. For elk then use 150 or even 125 for deer that's what I do and have no problems

It's on the low end for me but I would have no issues with it. Love my 270! Nosler Partition or equivalen. Lots of great bullets for the 270. And as with any caliber shot placement is everything!

270 is a fine round just stick with the 140 or 150 gr bullets.Its kills just as well as the bigger stuff a gut shot elk will go a long ay i dont care what its shot with.The accubond bullets work very well as do the barnes.

A .270 was my first "modern" hunting rifle. With it, I shot seven of the Arizona Big Ten species in the late 1950s and early 1960s -- a half dozen Coues deer, a javelina every year, 3-4 mule deer, a couple of turkeys, an antelope, a buffalo and two elk, including my best-ever bull.

I chose 130-grain bullets for everything because that's what everyone (especially my hero, Jack O'Connor) shot in their .270s in those days. I don't remember anyone feeling under-gunned because he didn't use 150-grain bullets.

There were no "premium" bullets then, and I probably couldn't have afforded them if there had been. I bought "cull" (blemished) 130-grain .270 bullets by the pound for ridiculously low prices from the Arizona Bullet Company in Tucson, neck-sized my cases with a Lyman tong tool, and had no problems at all.

As best as I can remember, those bullets were comparable to the boat-tail hunting bullets Speer sells today.

If the @#$%@*&%! burglars who stole my guns in September had left me just one of my two .270s, I'd buy 130-grain Nosler Partitions and feel confident I could take anything that walks in North America if I put them where they should go.

Bill Quimby

This is the only round I have ever shot an elk with, all 3 of mine died after being shot. I was shooting Grand Slams back in those days.

Shot my first elk with a 270. I also recommend a 7mm-08 or a 30-06. Both excellent rifles for elk, deer, etc. I recently purchased a Tikka T3 7mm-08 for my wife and soon to be old enough to hunt son to use for elk and deer. It has a good size bullet (7mm/.284) but a fairly light recoil.

There's nothing wrong using a 270 for elk. Yes, there are much bigger guns but a 270 will do the job like Bill said. I like shooting my dad's 270 over my 7mm mag. because of the recoil so that is something you should consider as well. I don't own a 30-06 but the range of bullet weights is amazing. :)

TJ

I just bought a new to me mod. 70 in 270. My all time favorite cartridge. Yeah, it'll kill Elk real dead with a well placed shot.

Work up a load or buy Premium Ammunition with Barnes TSX 140 or 150 grain bullets and never look back. I would be happy to share load data with you.

I think Wayne Van Zwoll said that saying the 270 wasn't good for elk was like saying mom's sweet rolls needed more suger.

I agree and tht's what I mostly hunt with. I'll be hunting late bull with mine this year.

A few years back I sold by ruger .243, ruger 7mm, and 2 bushnell elite scopes to buy one tikka t3 .270, a zeiss conquest, and reloading gear. My goal was to get one rifle and one bullet that I could shoot really well, and use it for all of my hunts. I shoot a 130 grain barness ttx bullet. So far I have taken 2 coues and 1 elk with no problems. I am more confident of making a clean shot with my new setup, and it is a heck of a lot more fun to shoot than the 7mm mag.